this article has roused my curiosity...

Entrepreneurs cash in big with lucrative affiliate programs from online tobacco retailers

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">OLTRA Newswire -</span> <span class="ev_code_BLUE">Reston, VA</span> With so many US states and cities jumping on the tobacco tax bandwagon, American smokers are flocking to online retailers in record numbers to cope with a rising tide of local cigarettes prices. Online tobacco retailers are not the only ones cashing in on this Internet sales boom. A growing number of savvy Internet marketers have discovered just how profitable affiliate programs offered by these online retailers can be. The top online cigarette retailer in the US market, eSmokes.com has seen its affiliate ranks grow from a just handful of partners a year ago to several hundred affiliates who are paid thousands of dollars in commissions every month. “For a self-starter with some basic website know-how and a little initiative, this is the truly golden age” says Frank Marshall, Affiliate Manager for eSmokes.com. “As lucrative as this business can be for an affiliate, it’s not rocket science. Our low cigarette prices and service sell themselves. Our affiliates help introduce new consumers to our products and receive $7 for every new customer they bring us.” By partnering with DirectTrack, the leading affiliate management software provider, eSmokes is able to provide a wide range of marketing tools including dynamic banners and custom landing pages to help affiliates turn their own websites into efficient and effective selling tools. Affiliates also have access to real-time online sales tracking and performance reports to help them fine-tune their online marketing techniques for optimum performance. With the availability of these resources and the growing number of cigarette consumers looking for price relief online, the profit potential for new affiliates is looking better than ever.

Personally, I'd rather go with http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com - since many customers will reorder and you get lifetime residuals vs. a 7 dollar one time fee per new customer. A lot of times, I will make that for the customer's first order anyway, and then I continue to get residuals every time they come back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisnrae:
    Personally, I'd rather go with http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com - since many customers will reorder and you get lifetime residuals vs. a 7 dollar one time fee per new customer. A lot of times, I will make that for the customer's first order anyway, and then I continue to get residuals every time they come back. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

lifetime residual sounds good, although $7 a pop could add up to more depending on volume. I actually was looking at www.eaglesmokes.com because they offer 5% lifetime residuals and they still ship to New York state, which is supposedly like 30% of the domestic market for online retailers because of taxes. I checked out Big Daddy smokes and see they don't ship there anymore, which is why I'm not too keen on them. Eaglesmokes.com is based overseas though, which not all customers want to deal with. I was thinking of promoting both eSmokes (since they are the biggest in the US) and Eaglesmokes for those people that live in states like NY, Oregon, Connecticut and Maine that have banned shipments.

In any case, the whole thing may go bust in a year or two depending on laws,especially domestic sites, so I'm just hoping for some short term earnings

Eaglesmokes is breaking the law by sending NY, Oregon, Connecticut and Maine, but I guess that doesn't matter :sigh:

Also they ship each carton individually so if someone ordered 10 cartons they would get ten separate shipments - how asinine is that? Not to mention that there is no tracking ability. BDS and any reputable companies use UPS or USPS with tracking and usually ship the same day as ordered so no lag of 2-3 weeks.

$7 per new customer is a rip off offer more so in volume as I know the average order size and frequency and I'd much rather have 3% from a company that is reputable and follows the law.

BTW, NY does NOT constitute 30% of the US cigarette market.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I live in NY and my cigarettes are shipped to me by mail. The company I buy them from (also in NY) told me that because the US Mail is a Federal agency, NY laws don't supersede it.

Is that BS?

Eaglesmokes is based overseas, so I'm not sure how NY state law can apply to them, but then I'm not a lawyer (thank God). I can see how the shipper bringing the product over the state line might be breaking the rules, but thats up to them and the regulators to work out. The single carton shipments sounded goofy to me too, but their customer service says it has something to do with US Customs and duty-free laws and apparently many offshore sites do this. I checked out 247tobacco.com and telesmokes.com and same shipping deal.

Given that these offshore sites do ship to New York which made up about 30% of the pre-ban online tobacco sales for the top retailers (at least according to OLTRA, OnLine Tobacco Retailers Association) that sounds like good potential to pick up NY customers that were orphaned by companies like Big Daddy Smokes, eSmokes, etc, when the NY ban took effect.

I think the ideal thing for an affiliate would be to promote one of both, an offshore site like eaglesmokes and a domestic one like Big Daddy Smokes on the same affiliate page, and give customers a description and choice based on their location and preferences.

As for whether 3% recurring or $7 once is better, like I said that would depend on volume. If eSMokes produces 3 times the number of conversions/sales for customers that follow my links,(hypothetical) that would probably be the better short term earner (and I don't have much faith in the long term future of the business). Obviously the quality and selection of the destination site is an factor in conversion, along with price.

Haiko, you promote Big Daddy Smokes, right? Do you have any idea what their total annual sales is or their total customer base?

No I don't promote BigDaddy ... I made it (from the logo to the UPS/USPS integration), now am the "webmaster" of it, so yes I know the figures you requested but as that is proprietary information, I am not at liberty to divulge it.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread