What is a website?
    I got the following question via PM from a long-time active member who was too embarrassed to ask it publicly. I thought it was a good question that might help others, so I'm posting the question and my answer here. Feel free to add on!
    Can I ask you something? This is just so embarrassing. I can't ask it in the forum. I'd be laughed out.

What's a website? And where do I get one?

I make a good living with affiliate marketing, but that's with free hosted Blogger blogs and a few WordPress blogs with my own domain names on HostGator.

I am a good writer. I got those keyword thing down pat. I can post about a news story on a free Blogger blog and come up #1 on the SERPs, beating all the major news networks.

You always say "one well done site is better than a dozen poorly done sites" or something like that.

Where do I get one of those sites? Do I have one? Is a WordPress blog with my own hosted domain a real site like you are talking about? I know a free hosted Blogger blog isn't.

My face is honestly burning because I am blushing so bad for even asking these stupid questions.

If you could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated. Maybe a link to a site or a really good thread in the forum that explains this topic.

I want a real website, if I don't have one (and I don't think I do). I host my WordPress blogs on HostGator, if that means anything or helps with where I should get a "real site" from.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

This would be a perfect thing to ask on the Newbie FAQ forum. I'm sure you're not the only person wondering, and I seriously doubt anyone would laugh at you. Although I don't agree with the saying that "there's no such thing as a stupid question", I don't think one is stupid.

A WordPress installation on your own domain is a site. Blogger is a site (although it's not your site, which is the problem with using hosted solutions like that). ABestWeb.com is a site. Yahoo is a site. A web site is just the web pages on a domain.

When you have your own site, you have much more control. On a hosted platform, you have to follow someone else's rules and work within their guidelines (and many of them don't allow affiliate links).

A good site (IMHO) is one that is highly focused, solves a problem, or provides an invaluable resource.

If you do well with Blogger and writing articles, there's no need to change that. There are LOTS of ways to do affiliate marketing. What works for me isn't the only way. Some affiliates don't even have a site and just do PPC. Some affiliates have tons of low-quality "search bait" sites (which can work, but I despise as a consumer). Some have forums.

Generally, you need some technical skills to be able to build your own site, whether that's PHP, working with database, HTML, or whatever. I wouldn't even know where to suggest someone start if they don't have those skills. There are just so many options and any of them can work but which one is best really depends. Also, many just don't have the aptitude or interest to learn the technical end, so they're limited to either hiring that out (which has its own challenges) or sticking with low-tech solutions (which can be very time-consuming and not as slick, but can work).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I got the following question via PM from a long-time active member who was too embarrassed to ask it publicly. I thought it was a good question that might help others, so I'm posting the question and my answer here. Feel free to add on!
    Can I ask you something? This is just so embarrassing. I can't ask it in the forum. I'd be laughed out.

What's a website? And where do I get one?

I make a good living with affiliate marketing, but that's with free hosted Blogger blogs and a few WordPress blogs with my own domain names on HostGator.

My face is honestly burning because I am blushing so bad for even asking these stupid questions.

I want a real website, if I don't have one (and I don't think I do). I host my WordPress blogs on HostGator, if that means anything or helps with where I should get a "real site" from.

Today is February 18..., right?

Are you sure that, that long-time active member, and good writer, and blogger, making a good living with affiliate marketing, is not pulling your leg?

That sounds like an April Fool's day question, if the: "I make a good living with affiliate marketing," is true...

Btw, now I don't know which post deserves the special award... The one above, or this one: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...36&postcount=6

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    If you're a good writer, and stick with it over time on the web using packaged wordpress or blogger (meaning you don't host it on your server), and you have a track record of producing compelling content, then it's naturally going to happen that you build links, become an authority on your area and RANK very effectively in the search engines.

When you can generate top search engine rankings, you can fairly easily monetize against that space and in fact be a solid Affiliate.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    If you are making a good living doing what you are doing....

KEEP DOING IT...

But sounds like it might be time to expand and get to building a quality, niche site of your own....

I'm doing this in reverse...

Content sites first and now utilizing wordpress etc. to build money making PPC sites...

BUT....

The PPC sites I am building are designed to be money making content sites in the future..

Just takes times to generate thousands of visitors a day....

I'm a fan of this Web Marketing Checklist -

Gotta tell ya though...

It's really nice to have some content driven sites that I know will be around for years to come...

I love writing content... ( 'cept I'm getting a little thin after 13 years - Everything I know is pretty much out there )

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    A blog is a website. A collection of pages written in html, either one or one thousand, is a web site.

And it isn't a stupid question, many people still might not consider blogs to be websites. Many people do very well in affiliate marketing without a website, although that may be harder and harder to do.

I did a podcast about using places not under your control, like blogger. I always recommend people self host. If you want to move your sites off blogger onto your own domains, Wordpress can import your existing posts from your blogger site.

"Back in the day" you needed to know html to have a website, now you don't necessarily need to, but it is very helpful if you at least know the basics like how to code a link or an image, can make a line break or a paragraph break. But Wordpress has a WYSIWYG editor that inserts links and images so you can get away without knowing too much.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Are you sure that, that long-time active member, and good writer, and blogger, making a good living with affiliate marketing, is not pulling your leg?
    Absolutely positive. FWIW, the member had given me specifics, but I changed it to that phrase instead.

It was definitely a serious question, and I have no reason to believe that anything was less than true.

I know it sounds strange to us that someone can do well without having a site, but it's certainly possible. I'm anxious to see what this member will be able to accomplish with more knowledge and experience.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

This seemingly "simple" question -- not stupid, but simple -- is generating some good comments here.

I especially appreciate the mentions of WordPress. I know several people who seem to think WordPress only creates "blogs," not "real websites."

That's not true, of course, as several remarks point out above.

Good discussion.
    Generate more fake news.

to superCool, the domain and everything on it is the website - no matter what it is.

but a blob is not a website (with the exception of blob.com)

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread