Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lightbulb Now Hiring: Opinions Needed. Apply Inside.
    Sorry, but all positions have been filled.

Seriously, I would like some advice on something. Any opinions or imput would be greatly appreciated.

As many of you know, I am a very passionate and sometimes overly passionate guy. I do pretty well making money at affiliate marketing.

After talking to and getting advice from Michael Coley and Rollerblader (and I want to express my thanks to both of them), I have decided to come out of the closet and confess what I am most passionate about.

Be it a blessing or curse, I do not know. But... I have an overactive mind and imagination.

My true passion is....

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

Writing.

I am talking about short stories and novels. I have been told most of my life I am a good writer ( as long as I have spellering chek ).

I want to throw this idea I had out there and I am seeking some opinions and advice.

I was considering putting my first novel as a website. A page would be like a chapter. Nothing overly graphic in any areas. No profanity beyond the "d" and "h" words.

Good or bad idea? Other options? Money making opportunities? Adsense?

Thanks.

Have you thought about self publishing on Lulu?
    http://www.lulu.com/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You can put in affiliate links/banners aside from adsense. The type of product you can promote will depend on the context of each page. You can also have unrelated product affiliate links on a sidebar.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    BUT You're GAY!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    LOL @ Jimmy!

Snow - I toyed with the idea, too. Thought about charging a minimal fee per chapter after giving the prologue free (maybe a dollar a chapter or $10.00 up front?). I don't know about affiliate links on the pages. Think about it ... if you were reading a good story, would YOU click out of the page to go buy something? Probly not.

I'm not a huge fan of self publishing. I think letting a publisher do what they do is the best way if you can get a publisher interested in your story. You have a good audience probably because you're a good writer. If you can make publisher see that you've created a following by your writing, that could help generate interest.

Good luck with it. I'll be curious to know what you end up doing so keep us posted.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Think about it ... if you were reading a good story, would YOU click out of the page to go buy something? Probly not.
    Doesn't Kontera and such make a pretty good living betting against that train of thought?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

try making it as a ebook and promote it on clickbank..

http and a telephoto
    My advice is to write first, figure out how to monetize it later. My son was a brilliant writer and I am struggling with turning his plays (mostly short plays, one or two full length) and movie scripts (5 full length) into fiction. He even wrote scripts for television pilots that can be turned into fiction.

On second thought, monetizing it shouldn't be all that hard, promote books about writing, software about writing... write a book about the process you go through to write your book online. When you are done, sell the download of the book and the print version. Even though people read online, they still like the feel and smell of a real book.

I would put the ads at the bottom of the page, so when people are done reading, they have something to click on. I wouldn't load the pages with adsense, let them read then buy at the end of the page.

Would be interesting to see how it goes... I actually am planning to do something a little similar, but mine is non fiction.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Doesn't Kontera and such make a pretty good living betting against that train of thought?
    They probably do and it's one of the most annoying ad types (to me). I wouldn't want my readers distracted from the story with ads. Neither would I want to be distracted by ads when I'm reading a "book."

What Lox said makes sense: put ads at the bottom of the pages if you must. Maybe at the end of each chapter?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    They probably do and it's one of the most annoying ad types (to me). I wouldn't want my readers distracted from the story with ads. Neither would I want to be distracted by ads when I'm reading a "book."

What Lox said makes sense: put ads at the bottom of the pages if you must. Maybe at the end of each chapter?
    Totally agree .....

But I have to be the first in line to tell every great writer on the internet to...

MONETIZE EVERYTHING YOU DO ....

Don't hide your ads....

Make them bold, underlined and BLUE!!!!

Made over $1500 a month with Kontera .... but just hated having them on my sites..

They didn't take away from anything ( like my adsense )...

Just took extra time to load and the results were WAY off the mark....

At least my adsense shows ads that are relevant...

Kontera was showing things that ... well ... didn't fit...

Have you thought about putting it up on scribd? I have an ereader, and I am always looking for new books. A lot of times I end up downloading half a book and have to pay for the second half. A very few times, where the book was very good, I have bought the "remaining" part of the book.

So basically, you put the first half up on scribd.com and the second half up for download on your site with a checkout system. Drupal with ubercart does this for free.

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin
    So basically, you put the first half up on scribd.com and the second half up for download on your site with a checkout system. Drupal with ubercart does this for free.
    If you can educate someone with half of your thoughts and they are willing to PAY for the second half -

That sounds like a cool thing to me ....

http and a telephoto
    I'm with Rexanne... Kontera in a novel would be distracting and I would probably click away. If you are creating a site with fiction you are writing, you can use other more subtle ads and still make money.

Not every site needs to have big, bold, flashy ads to be successful. Each site has it's own character and needs. And not every site needs to have ads from Day 1, you can see what kind of traffic you are getting and then tailor your ads to that traffic. Depending on the story being told in the fiction, the ads can be tailored to the demographic that is reading. You might not know that demographic until you start the story and the site.

Maybe you have a forum that is attached to the site where people can go talk about your writing - there are a couple that integrate with WordPress if that is how you are going to build the site. Then the forum becomes the place where you do the "selling". It doesn't have to be a big forum with tons of categories. Small and targeted can make as much money as big and scattered.

Just tossing some ideas out there.... take what sounds good and try it

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice! Looking at and taking into consideration all comments and suggestions.

LOXLY: I am so glad you posted. RSS Feeds? You know A LOT more about that than I do. I know it would be a risk not matter the site or niche.

I started out about three years ago with a dot blogspot College Football Blog. It started as just something to do, but whenever I write, I put that passion for writing into it. Next thing I knew, a major sports writer posted about one of my post and linked to me. Things sort of took off. Next thing I knew, I was being linked to by major online newspapers, MAJOR sports sites and so forth. That was all within the first 6 months.

Well, along came the "thieves". I discovered that a couple of sites were stealing my content. They weren't giving me credit and not linking back to me. They were just copying my content and taking credit for it all. A risk I guess we all take.

I ended up having to go through that "copyright infringement" reporting stuff with Google. Google handled it and removed all the articles that they had taken credit for from the serps. However, the months it took for all that to be handled sort of took my passion for what I was doing away. I'm no longer a sports blogger. Now, I just promote products.

Here was my plan. Just a start-up plan until I get the hang of it and feel for it all. Sort of a trial and error type approach. I was going to start with WordPress, hosted of course, with my own domain name. I was going to do one of my favorite novels, but not my best work, just to see how it goes.

But that RSS Feeds stuff scares me. I don't want to start putting something out there and next thing I know, a dozen people are claiming they are writing it.

So, I would really appreciate any and all imput you can give concerning that and maybe how to handle it. Not sure if you can stop RSS Feeds on WordPress or not. I hope all that makes sense.

Also, as for putting the "ads" at the bottom, that's what I was thinking. Probably have a better chance of them clicking by having ads there. Plus, I don't want them to stop in the middle of a chapter and click an ad. That would hurt my writer's ego. LOL!

That's really awesome that your son was writer. A friend and I took a shot at writing a movie script years ago. Your son truly had to be a brilliant writer. Plays and movie scripts requires great skill and a lot talent. I have never been able to get past the writing of Act 1 of a play.

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin
    Have you thought about putting it up on scribd? I have an ereader, and I am always looking for new books. A lot of times I end up downloading half a book and have to pay for the second half. A very few times, where the book was very good, I have bought the "remaining" part of the book.

I think I like this idea the best of the ones mentioned.

Keep in mind that a "book" site will be far harder to monetize than anything you've done before. You almost have to charge for the content to make anything.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

you could handle the product placement like they do in the movies - describe a scene and include details about the comfortable black loafers and matching leather belt the character is wearing (available at kohls). in the next paragraph mention the new droid phone the character is using. then mention how white the character's teeth are - (brilliant white teeth). this would be so AWESOME.

superCool is kidding of course (ha ha ha - funny eh?)

or is he?

I don't want to downplay or overplay the money making aspect of this idea. I'm not really worried about driving traffic. I have a few plans to get the site "out there" and, once people read a chapter or two, I think the majority will be coming back for more.

DONATE BUTTON? Do those things ever work?

Hey SUPERCOOL! Quote: "funny eh?" End Quote. I don't find that funny at all. I think you might just have something there. Wow! Like in the last few sentences of a chapter, put text links in place of certain keywords. If it is like...

"He was shaking as he reached for the cup of COFFEE. Thoughts of what happend in ROME were racing through his head..."

Have COFFEE as a text link to a coffee merchant and ROME to a travel agent.

Whoa! Thanks SUPERCOOL! That is an idea that needs to be brainstormed. I think you have something there that is at least worth trying.

http and a telephoto
    You can control what goes out in your RSS feed (full text or summary and how many posts) ANd there are plugins that you can use that will append info to the end of every entry in an RSS feed. You *want* people to subscribe to your RSS so they know when the next page/chapter etc is. You even might not mind people using your *summary* RSS feed with appended info that has your link to your site and copyright info etc.

I actually saw one RSS feed that had a HUGE note at the end of each post stating "If you see this post and it isn't on *****.com then it was STOLEN without my permission.

Being syndicated can be cool as long as it is done with attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch

Hey SUPERCOOL! Quote: "funny eh?" End Quote. I don't find that funny at all. I think you might just have something there. Wow! Like in the last few sentences of a chapter, put text links in place of certain keywords. If it is like...

"He was shaking as he reached for the cup of COFFEE. Thoughts of what happend in ROME were racing through his head..."

Have COFFEE as a text link to a coffee merchant and ROME to a travel agent.

Whoa! Thanks SUPERCOOL! That is an idea that needs to be brainstormed. I think you have something there that is at least worth trying.
    Nasty idea!

Think about if YOU were reading a story and you clicked an ad link. You would lose all *flow* and have to find your way back to the story and the paragraph you clicked the ad from. Makes for a lousy reading experience. If you're writing content to SELL stuff, OK fine. That's a good way to monetize, but a BOOK? BAH - not a good user experience and if you want to build credibility as an author, not the way to go IMO.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I totally agree with Rexanne. Any monetization can't interfere with the readability or experience. That's why I like the concept of letting them read half, then requiring a reasonable payment to read the rest. If it's a real page-turner, you'll get a good conversion on that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I totally agree with Rexanne. Any monetization can't interfere with the readability or experience. That's why I like the concept of letting them read half, then requiring a reasonable payment to read the rest. If it's a real page-turner, you'll get a good conversion on that.
    Got an example Mike????

lintlin gave that example earlier in the thread.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think that'll work, paying to read somebody's writing on the internet. There's just so much of it out there free. Maybe with more established writers, it might have a better chance.

Maybe have a sponsor, straight up sell advertising.

Or have a section on the site where people might buy something. Since your target audience would be people that like to read, maybe a section for book download readers like Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader, iPad etc. Whatever else people that like to read might buy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    lintlin gave that example earlier in the thread.
    I thought YOU had something out there that YOU had written..

No. I've been in the credits for a few books, but have never written one. I did have a couple poems published when I was a kid.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast