http and a telephoto
    Upgraded to Time Warner Turbo - Wow!
    Ok so I didn't really think that upgrading to the Turbo option on Time Warner Road Runner would really make a huge difference but for heavy users like myself and Vinny we decided today to give it a shot. It is $10 more a month than regular internet service.

I have been using a laptop and wireless recently so I can work all around the house and have been having issues with only having 1-2 bars and slow connection. I didn't expect the cable service upgrade to affect that. I was ready to run cat5 cables all through the walls

It did make a difference! I have 4 bars via wireless and speeds almost as fast as the wired computer and the wired desktop is doing pretty well too Download speeds are up and upload speeds have doubled. (that's massive to me!)

So if you think you might want the upgraded service, give it a shot! I'm impressed, and it usually takes a lot to impress me.

When they tried to sell me the TV service again I got to pull the "You don't have the NFL package" again and deflated his sales pitch immediately. The sales rep was cute "Ya got me there... never mind".

Anything that lets me be more productive and faster is cool in my book!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Are you using a different wireless router, too? A faster connection shouldn't have anything to do with the number of bars you see. That's just the signal strength from the wireless router.

A faster connection can sure make a difference. I have a fairly lousy "high speed" connection at home (about 300kbps, typically) and once in a while I'll get a really quick (1.5 - 10mbps) connection on the road, and it's amazing how fast the pages load. I would think that 300kbps would be fine (it's way faster than dialup), but there's a significant difference.

Unfortunately, I have very few options here. No cable. No DSL. I'm right on the edge of 3G connection with all of the mobile companies, so that's an unreliable option here. I can either use satellite (very dependent on the weather, poor latency, and slow upload speeds), wireless broadband (from one local provider), or buy a T1 ($400/month).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I keep upgrading w/ my ATT U-VERSE...

And every month, they seem to be progressing beyond what I am paying for...

And if you have a question, it takes an hour to get thru the press #1 for this and #2 for that....

I hate ATT!

Have a brand new pooter that is slow enough with my Spyware software and even slower with the 5 pooters in my house ( 4 are wireless ).....

Costs me $150 plus for cable / internet..... per month.

Irritates the crap out of me.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by MC
    I have a fairly lousy "high speed" connection at home (about 300kbps, typically)
    What kind of connection do you have? You mentioned the ones that don't work for you, but I couldn't tell what your present setup is. I might be missing it though.

http and a telephoto
    I didn't change the router, I asked them if they had recommendations and they said just keep using what you have. I'm wondering if the switch in service added some other extra "juice" somewhere, lol.

We have a room in the house that was soundproofed and the wireless can't seem to get through it. It still can't, but it seems that the signal can get "farther" down the hallway around that room.

Funny thing is that Vinny's HP laptop that is 2 years old is getting better wireless reception than my new Dell is. I might have to look into upgrading the wireless card in this laptop. Everything else about this new laptop I absolutely love

And like John, I'm curious what you *are* using for internet!

Before the service upgrade we were getting 1.5 - 5 mbps and now it is 17-20 (that's download, upload is still under 1, but double what it was!)

Vinnys HP laptop is Super

We are using an N router but I think we are going to upgrade to a dual broadcast N router. Need more info on it first to see if that will solve my "loxly wifi dead zone"
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    Thanks for this tip Loxly! I am going to check it out when I get back.
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    And like John, I'm curious what you *are* using for internet!
    I'm using Wireless Broadband. It's basically the same technology (and frequencies, which is one of the problems) as an in-house wireless router, except it uses directional antennas outside to reach a nearby tower. I get pretty fed up with it, but not quite enough to shell out $400/month for a T1 line.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MC
    I'm using Wireless Broadband.
    Maybe ask the ISP to see if you are getting full capacity. Our little local ISP furnishes us DSL and for those further out they offer Wireless Broadband form towers like you have. I know a couple of those users and they are about the same speed as my DSL.

We where having speed problems a while back. They got to working on it and brought it up to the plan that we had been paying for all along. It was fast but now it's even better due to their tweaking.

Here is my Speed test

Its pretty decent ..I'm on Optimum Online here in CT!

OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I didn't change the router, I asked them if they had recommendations and they said just keep using what you have. I'm wondering if the switch in service added some other extra "juice" somewhere, lol.
    Is the router theirs or did you buy your own third-party router? If it's theirs, it could be that the change in service came with a firmware upgrade to the router, which would account for the better signal.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark
    Is the router theirs or did you buy your own third-party router? If it's theirs, it could be that the change in service came with a firmware upgrade to the router, which would account for the better signal.
    My own, I asked if they had wireless routers and he specifically said no. I think they might have done a software update to the modem though. I just did a software update to my linksys router not long ago. Like Vinny said, we are looked at the new dual channel routers, but does that give a stronger signal?

Magi, I've never seen upload speeds that fast!

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Maybe ask the ISP to see if you are getting full capacity. Our little local ISP furnishes us DSL and for those further out they offer Wireless Broadband form towers like you have. I know a couple of those users and they are about the same speed as my DSL.

We where having speed problems a while back. They got to working on it and brought it up to the plan that we had been paying for all along. It was fast but now it's even better due to their tweaking.
    I've talked to them multiple times about it. They're on my speed dial and I probably have to call them at least half a dozen times a month due to outages or packet loss issues. They've replaced the radio and antenna multiple times.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread