Affiliate Manager Mark-RockCreek's Avatar
    Trail Running for health and adventure!
    Hey guys, I saw Chuck Hamrick suggest to Les Hegwood that he talk about trail running over here, which got me thinking about it so I thought I'd start a thread.

I've been trail running since college when I needed a way to get away from the stress of school and spend some time alone in the woods. It's also cheap because all you need are good trail running shoes and some kind of shorts, and that really helped sell me on it. Of course you can go from there and add a tech tee, good socks like SmartWool, but it's still certainly cheaper than skiing or something like that.

Photo: My friends Kris and Randy Whorton ahead of me in the Grand Canyon, 2008.

The experiences I've had kept me at it. I've met some of my best friends and learned more about myself than I ever thought possible through trail running. I think fitness comes naturally if you can find something you love to do instead of just trying to force yourself to "work out."

I've seen a bald eagle take off and slowly glide over the river after feeding. I've seen more turkeys, deer, squirrels, etc. than I can count. Great Blue Herons, birds of prey, various woodpeckers, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, bats, you name it.

My favorite run was through the Grand Canyon, close second would be the islands of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Weekends have taken me through the various mountains all over Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama, and I hope to see much more in coming years.

Here in Chattanooga we've started a trail running club that raises money for trails and offers group runs and support for beginners. Check it out- joining the forums is free and although most of us are in the Southeast it's open to anyone who wants to participate.

If you need some motivation, check out this Rock/Creek StumpJump video on the Boonies site.

Anyone else out there interested in trails? What's your favorite trail?
    Mark McKnight
    Rock/Creek

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    I have a good buddy and neighbor who is a heavily involved trail/ultra runner. Scott is on the web at WasatchSpeedGoat.com, and he's really got me motivated to run around our canyon. A couple of years ago I started REAL slow. We live about 7800' above sea level and there is really no where to go but up from the house. So it was slow going at first.

I'm into it more and more. I find that on long hikes/runs when I'm alone I can eventually reach a sort of transcendent reality where my mind totally clears and I'm just in the groove. Unfortunately, as soon as I realize I've reached that mind state thoughts start flowing in again and I've lost it

i absolutely love trail running - so good for the soul. all you need is a bit of open space.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks for doing this Mark. I ran in my late 20's and was in the best condition of my life. Now in my late 40's am thinking about doing it again. I can hike for 10 hrs straight so should be easy, NOT. My wife loves to go to the gym but getting up at 5:00 after working until midnight just doesn't work. I need a friend or neighbor to help motivate. Gary is too far away otherwise I would follow him up the canyon.

Its amazing . I am loving it . I envy you and its really rejuvenating.

Affiliate Manager Mark-RockCreek's Avatar
    I hear you on getting up in the morning! I'm terrible at that which is one of the reasons I live in the South; at least when I get around to running in the evening the temperature is bearable and not too cold. I'm fine with the heat but I really can't get motivated to get out when it's below freezing.
    Mark McKnight
    Rock/Creek

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Right now I am getting two days of skiing a week which isn't enough exercise to lose weight. The wife and I got up yesterday for 45 minutes at the gym before the kids leave on the school bus. Need about 3 days a week to make a difference. No trail running this time of year in Park City. Most runners are doing cross country skiing which I never got into. Lots of used equipment around though so maybe next year.

Remembered that have AC surgery as soon as ski season is over, anyone go through that? I am interested in the recovery period.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Chuck, try and get yourself in the best shape possible before that surgery. That will help with recovery. Although I understand it's easier said than done. When skiing seek out terrain you have to hike to access. For example walk up Jupiter a couple times a day. Might be a bit slow and painful with a bad knee, but will help your conditioning a lot more than just turning down the hill once off the lift.

I was skiing powder three days after having all four wisdom teeth yanked ten days ago. Just jack the Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and go for it It only hurts once you stop.

ABW Ambassador
    I love running. Lost almost 10kg from running everyday, down the canal, watching the cranes, squirrels and other wild life as I run. Not as beautiful as the grand canyon pics but enough to keep me looking forward to my morning runs.

Running and I have a love-hate relationship and we'll flip-flop between the two extremes. I've been running around my neighborhood in the 'burbs for a while now, but I'm wondering what the change of scenery from trail running would bring to the table. Anybody else gone through this scenario?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread