Red face Need advice on how to code a video download in exchange for email
    I have a video that I have prepared that I would like to offer in exchange for email sign-ups.

I use aweber.com to manage my lists and forms.

I suppose I could simply upload the file to my site and provide a link to that page via an automated email, however wouldn't I be inviting direct links to that page from outside my email...or would that be a good problem to have?

Tech support at aweber suggested a rotating url, however I am not familiar with that at all...

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks!

ABW Ambassador

@Wayder - I am using .asp for most of my site, so i should probably just start there..In fact, I think Im just going to post the file to my site on a static page for now. It would probably be a good problem to have if my video was so good that folks just started sharing my links with wild abandon

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Hosting video yourself can be problematic for users. It usually comes down to streaming or 'progressive download'.

Progressive download means you host the file (WMV, MPG, whatever) and users download the file like any other. As it gets a bit buffered, it starts to play. But, users have to download the whole thing to see the whole thing. Which means they now have it on their computer. Also, they can't jump ahead. Dial-up users will threaten your life.

Streaming is like Youtube. You upload the file and the streaming sytem only sends the bit currently viewed. users can jump ahead. also, the video can usually be downgraded for slower connections, or upgraded for better connections. Vimeo, blip.tv, metacafe, dailymotion and of course youtube are good choices. You can place their player on your site, too. You probably want the social benefits of video sharing, I presume.

Sorry, I reread your post and my comment misses your point a bit. You're using asp. so you could create a login page (or code page) that requires users to enter the secret code, like 'xyzzy' before they can see the video. you email them the code. Refer them to page with a custom querystring like landing.asp?fromemail so you can measure your response from email vs regular traffic.

In the video display page, you can compare the input to the static value 'xyzzy' and if they are equal, display the video.

That said, I would urge you to rethink your distribution strategy for the video. Instead of baiting users with video, try advertising your site IN the video and put it on youtube. Either a watermark or a lead-in that says 'visit mysite.com/youtube.asp for more info.' Seems like you might get more traffic that way, especially if the video takes off.

- Dave

Cool
    @dave123 - thanks for the tips and advice. its a really good tip to include some sort of watermark in a youtube video. Ive found mographstock.com, as a means of creating a custom lower third to exist in all of my videos, just for this purpose. Many thanks!

As a followup to this, I recently found that Amazon Ec2 does secure video streaming, so you can offer Youtube-like video streams to *only* your authenticated customers, not your public ones. Also, since its on EC2, you pay as you go, using THEIR bandwidth, not the limited bandwidth you're paying 15 bucks a month for. Allows you to scale as you become successful. Seems pretty economical to me. I have a client with a similar need, to show fitness videos after charging a fee.

dave, this is good insight! thakn you for the tip..i have friends that have used amazon for similar purposes, but am yet to try myself...i suppose now is a good time to give it a try

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread