Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Domain Name Speculators Explain This
    Alright, this is something I think I can get into. Last night I was up all night reading some stuff and I understand a domain is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. But you ever come across something and don't understand why it sold for what it did? This is one of them, I was checking out

2009 Top 100 Sales Chart

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/dom...harts-2009.htm

And I can see DiamondRings.com going for $228,420 but I look above and see this one going for more, $350,000 - CookingGames.com

My first reaction is what the hell is a cooking game? It's just that one person in the world who really loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust

And I can see DiamondRings.com going for $228,420 but I look above and see this one going for more, $350,000 - CookingGames.com

My first reaction is what the hell is a cooking game? It's just that one person in the world who really loved it.
    Yep, it only takes one person that really wants the name. Especially one that is easy to remember, speak and spell. If it is brandable that is a real plus. The name may mean nothing today... but a decade ago google didn't mean anything to anyone. CookingGames.com could be a future reality show of cook-offs ala the Olympics.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Seems odd. But there's a lot of cooking competition shows on TV right now. Iron Chef, Food Network Star, Hells Kitchen, Worst Cook in America, Top Chef, etc.

Probably some new show coming out, just a guess.

Bizzare, but in looking into it, it seems the phrase is huge - I get the impression among 12-13 year old girls.

Most variations are also taken, including all the usual spammy variations.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    A subset of "flashgames"

Can you imagine what flashgames.com is worth in comparison?

Incredible what is making money online.

This is inspiration to keep looking for that undiscovered niche.

ABW Ambassador
    That's got to be some kind of rush. Buying a domain for under $10 and selling it for something like that. I've been messing with the Google Keyword Tool and some sites I have bookmarked for What's Hot. I'm finding all kinds of domains I want to get. Got a little text document called Domain Prospects on my Desktop, filling it up. This is fun. Interesting to see what's selling for what or reading "expert" opinions on Bido on domains and how far apart they can be.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    That's got to be some kind of rush. Buying a domain for under $10 and selling it for something like that. I've been messing with the Google Keyword Tool and some sites I have bookmarked for What's Hot. I'm finding all kinds of domains I want to get. Got a little text document called Domain Prospects on my Desktop, filling it up. This is fun. Interesting to see what's selling for what or reading "expert" opinions on Bido on domains and how far apart they can be.
    I've got some domain names in the bag that I think will make some cash...

Thinking about selling some of them, but think I would be a dumb ass not to create sites with them...

Sucks to be LAZY!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Still listed at Sedo as being for sale:
    http://www.sedo.com/search/details.p...artnerid=17505
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Still listed at Sedo as being for sale:
    http://www.sedo.com/search/details.p...artnerid=17505
    Maybe it is someone gaming the system with shill bids.

Then later they can say someone backed out on 300k, will take 200k this week only.

I think a lot of the big bids back in the day were fake and if you really look into it money never changed hands.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    On a vaguely related note, there was a couple of interesting threads at namepros regarding selling domains and best approaches, etc. I found one of them right off the bat, it is located here: http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-...end-users.html It's been an ongoing thread for 4 or 5 years, and has some interesting comments about selling domains. Worth a look-see.

I'll have to find the second one, it gave a nice example of how to pull the most money out of a prospective domain buyer before placing the sold sign in the window.

Not directly answering Trust's question, but indirectly maybe explaining how they got the value up so high.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Ha, I can tell you guys don't sell video games. There are a whole bunch of cooking related games:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=cook&x=0&y=0
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

"cooking games" = 4,090,000 Monthly Global searches on Google... There's your answer..
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    it amazes me what some domains go for. Someone mentioned buying them initially for $10. My first domain I paid over $300 for back in 1998 brand new and it was expensive to renew them back then too. That particular domain I had someone tell me they could easily get me $20k for. I've always been tempted to contact Rubbermaid and see what they'd pay for it as they own the hyphenated version of it.

So, kind of along the same lines...
    I really want to start a nonprofit niche site and have everything but the domain. Both the .com and the .org versions are taken. The .com is owned by a family who has a blog, but it hasn't been updated in 2 years. The .org is owned by a foreign entity who has had an "under construction" display page for 2 years. They must be auto-renewing.
    Having said all that, what is the best way to approach to see if they would sell, but not let them think that the domain is worth a lot of money?
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

I like traffic lights
    Interesting to see what's selling for what or reading "expert" opinions on Bido on domains and how far apart they can be.
    I'm glad you put quotes around "expert" when refering to Bido.

I like traffic lights
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    "cooking games" = 4,090,000 Monthly Global searches on Google... There's your answer..
    Word is it sold for 8 x annual revenue.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Word is it sold for 8 x annual revenue.
    Yeah, I was reading something about that, after searching on them - http://www.google.com/search?q=%24350%2C000+-+CookingGames.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

A lot of people had the same reaction but then some pointed out it was something like 8x what it made in PPC or ads, something like that, in a year. Also using Google's Keyword tool it's getting 2,240,000 exact matches every month. And now it looks like it's for sale as Dynamoo pointed out, was trying to find something as to why on that.

Will read thru that thread elbowcreek posted, just going to be doing a lot of reading right now.

I'm aleady signed up with Sedo, Bido, will sign up with Afternic next. Looking at the sales charts, Sedo is pretty dominant and Afternic is next it looks like. Bido looks like smaller sales but I did notice the .mx domains selling a little bit there

400.00 physician.mx
    380.00 equipment.mx
    300.00 physicians.mx
    290.00 monitors.mx
    189.00 exercise.mx
    189.00 fares.mx
    175.00 shops.mx
    155.00 debito.mx

It's like $49 a year at Godaddy tho so not going to sell for anything major buy maybe 2x, 3x if you have a good generic it looks like and there are plenty left. But I might play around with the .89 cent info domains first.

edit, also wanted to know if anybody did this. The other night I was looking for info on something travel related. Found an older looking site, sort of directory. And a few of those domains were available. Some good .coms with some links in and some nice age, 10 years+. There are a lot of old directory type sites out there that haven't been updated in awhile with domains that are now available. Seems like a nice combo, good .com name, age, links in.
    Last edited by Trust; February 22nd, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as buying domains, what do you think of stuff like:

Auction for londonfashion.com has ended, BidoPrice of $1999.00 not met, high bid was $170.00

london fashion gets 165,000 phrase matches a month according to the Google tool.

And LondonFashion.com besides having keywords that are getting searched on, nice branding domain. I can see somebody having that site and developing it.

But only $170? I guess it didn't get in front of the right people or something.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    As far as buying domains, what do you think of stuff like:

Auction for londonfashion.com has ended, BidoPrice of $1999.00 not met, high bid was $170.00

london fashion gets 165,000 phrase matches a month according to the Google tool.

And LondonFashion.com besides having keywords that are getting searched on, nice branding domain. I can see somebody having that site and developing it.

But only $170? I guess it didn't get in front of the right people or something.
    I'm betting that ParisFashion would raise some eyebrows....

But for $170, it's a great price......

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy

But it didn't sell, reserve was $1999 high bid was $170. Would be tough as an ecommerce site unless you spent big $$ on branding, but could be a nice fashion blog or magazine.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy

Well they were asking $1999 but only had a high bid of $170. I figured somebody would have made a higher bid, sometimes the seller will come down some. I'm just a rookie with this, so I'm not spending that much right now but I think that's a great domain name, worth much more than $170 for sure. I guess you need to get it in front of the right person, market it. Was watching some videos with some tips and some good ones using social media. For instance signing up with Twitter, getting domain people, sellers etc. on there and when you're ready to sell, it helps get the message out. I figured if they paid to have it as one of the featured domains at Sedo it should go higher or one of these domain events or something.

If you ever want to see delusional - http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Web-D...4&_sop=3&_sc=1

asking 90 million for xxx1xxx.com or all those ipad ones for 21 million which you probably will lose to Apple. Or wf03 for 21 million. Person is nuts.

I think you really have to watch out for trademark infringement when buying domains. e.g. make sure there isn't a magazine called "London Fashion", etc.

I got into .info domaining a couple of years ago. At one point I had about 3,000 domains. Profits from the first year were great because they were all .99 cents, but renewals at GoDaddy were costly, especially when you use private registration. I'm letting them all lapse now, I'd rather work on my main website.

ABW Ambassador
    "I got into .info domaining a couple of years ago."

I just got into them yesterday I went thru Bido and sorted all the .info sales they had there and found some .info sales at other places and sort them from high to low so I can try to figure out what's selling and why. So I started with just 6 and it's only like $5+ since they're only .79 cents each when you buy in bulk.

"Profits from the first year were great because they were all .99 cents, but renewals at GoDaddy were costly, especially when you use private registration."

With that, I just use public registration and my plan is to flip them before renewel comes up. The ones I have so far are good as far as .info domains are concerned. Never really was a fan myself, I just like .com's but some people are and some are selling. And with it only being .79 cents right now, fun to play around with.

As far as your profits with them, was that mostly selling and/or parking or developing any of them?

As far as your profits with them, was that mostly selling and/or parking or developing any of them?
    I did minimum development on them, just enough content to move them out of the "domain parking" category. They were all super long tail with hardly any traffic. My goal was to have 2-3 affiliate sales a year from each one. Some ended up with lots of sales, many ended up with 0-1 sales. I made 5 figures profit for 2 years. If I were doing it again, I would just grab a really high volume keyphrase domain and spend more time developing it.

Even managing the renewals, hosting, and DNS on 3k domains is a pain. I had to write a lot of software and it was distracting to my main business.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast