ABW Ambassador
    I'm selling off womanht.com
    I'm selling off my domains including my flagship url, womanht.com Most are keyword rich niche domains. PM me if you are interested.

Moderator, can I list all my domains so that abestwebbers can have first pick at them?

You can list them all here:

Webmasters Barter / Trade / Buy or Sell

You're not getting out of affiliate marketing, are you?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; February 22nd, 2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    link doesn't work.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; February 22nd, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

Sorry - fixed!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Something strange still going on with that link, Michael.

I clicked it, went to that subforum, tried to click on the first thread showing and kept getting redirected back to the front page of the forum.

Then I clicked on "new posts" at the top of the forum and got an error message instead of getting back to the new posts. What's happening?
    Generate more fake news.

Oops, had another extra character in there. Should work now.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    I got a job, the nature of which does not allow employees to have their own businesses and that includes affiliate marketing. That's why I'm letting go of everything, even the gems that search engines love, and the very nich ones which when in season, are extremely profitable.

I guess it is time to say goodbye to affiliate marketing which I love so much.

AM is really fun, but I need a stable income to support my family, especially with my kids growing up. Between the two, the job is the more responsible choice. Besides, the job allows me many aspects of what I like about affiliate marketing.

Many who have had contact with my new employer have only good things to say about the organization. The management and people are very family oriented and nice so it is about as good as it gets in the corporate world.

I'll still pop over abestweb cos abw has become like family to me, though I don't post much.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I'm really curious if this new company allows people to have 2nd jobs (as in like when one leaves at 5 pm, they go over to McD's and work for a few hours). If so, how can they put a requirement like that on you?

If you are running affiliate programs and working in the same space as what your sites would be competing in, I can see them putting some limitations in place, but they shouldn't force you to have to sell off all your domains.

It seems like until you've actually started the job and know that it is a good fit, that you should hang on to your domains, and maybe just turn off your ads so you are not readily generating income. Other thought is that maybe you hang on to the domains and "rent" them out to others who can do what they want with the content space under contract or something.

I know it is being more responsible, but having also as a family spent 11 months out of work at one point in our lives, is the company going to do something for you if they go under in a year? or decide to lay you off if/when the economy turns?

I hate to see you give up what could be a safety net for your family.

ABW Ambassador
    Holding a second job or a business or source of income is strictly forbidden by the organization if I want that job and I do need it for the sake of my family.

It is a very hard decision as I have to let go of the safety net I built for 10 years, but the job nature and organization mission sound as good as it gets.

Thanks for your advice. I'll check about the domains again. Maybe, like you said, turning off the ads, and keeping only the content may be an option. The goal now, as opposed to what I've be doing for 10 years, is to stop the income flow, cos most of the cash I get from my sites is residual income.

A long time back, I set up the sites, put up the ads and forgot about them kind of thing. Just bank in the checks when they came in and promoted certain sites as and when I had the time.

Affiliate Manager
    Is it legal for an employer to dictate what their employees can and cannot do outside the work environment with those activities that have no demonstrable material effect on the company?

If such unusually draconian policies are also against the law, it may not be intentional. I've known a lot of employers who simply don't know the limits of what they can demand.

As a matter of personal values, unless your prospective employer is a direct competitor to what you do on your site I would have a conflict of values. The money would have to be very, very good for me to accept that level of control over my personal life, or even that the company would want that control at all.

I'm sure you know what you're doing. but on the surface such a desire from an employer strikes me as a bit creepy.

A 10-year investment is a lot to give up for a job that may last 10 months.

I hope it all works out favorable for you. Best of luck.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Keep in mind that womanht is in Singapore, so the laws may be different there.

If they're sites that don't require any maintenance, perhaps you can find someone willing to buy them from you with a contract that you can buy them back in the future?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. I'm taking a huge risk with this and at times, going without my safety net scares me to death.

The laws here are different from in the west. The job sounds really attractive to me. Still, it will let me do something worthwhile in my life and get paid a decent salary for it.

In any case, if the new job does not work out, I doubt if I'd want to continue doing the old thing I've been doing since 2000.

A fresh start from a new perspective with a totally clean slate with a different business model may be a better bet.

Affiliate marketing is based on a trust model which makes it all too easy for affiliates to get cheated. What with tracking done via cookies, which users clean up nowadays, parasites, amongst so many other things, maybe it is time for me to bow out of this arena.

AM is still a great source of income if you can make it work, which I know many of you can. All the best to you too. As for me, I guess it is time for me to move on.

I'll still hang around abw just to keep in touch with you guys as this has become like a second family to me.

Is Google Adsense considered affiliate marketing (by them or anyone)? Perhaps leave the sites up and let adsense rake in a few bucks.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread