How is traffic reported to raw logs?
    I use Awstats for traffic reporting, but I am having an issue this month with the reports being incorrect.

So far, I am not satisfied with the trouble ticket I submitted to the host and I need more information before I contact them again. Naturally, their replies are short and vague.

I know that Awstats pulls its reports from the raw logs and I know how to read raw logs, but I don't know how that information gets there. I'm trying to determine if this issue is real time logging or if there is an issue with Awstats pulling the correct info from the raw logs.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    What do you mean by "incorrect"?

The web server daemon adds the hits (and misses!) to the text (usually) log files as they come in.

If you know how to read the raw file, you should be able to watch it and visit the site yourself and see the queries logged to the end of the file. If you see that OK then the real time bit is working.

Awstats sometimes breaks if you make adjustments to exactly what is being loggeed and awstats can no longer recognise the format. There is all sorts of useful stuff that can be added to the log file (surfer's country, time it took for the server to serve up the data, etc) but adding them breaks awstats unless you tell awstats about the new bits you added.

Another problem might be that the log file is being archived before awstats has finished dealing with it so you might be only getting stats for half the time.

Today, reporting seems normal.

This is a sample of what I am seeing and this pattern is repeated across all of my domains with this host. (If it were only one domain, I'd be concerned about real traffic and not just the reporting)

01 Feb 2010 157
    02 Feb 2010 187
    03 Feb 2010 166
    04 Feb 2010 142
    05 Feb 2010 22
    06 Feb 2010 0
    07 Feb 2010 0
    08 Feb 2010 161
    09 Feb 2010 7
    10 Feb 2010 3
    11 Feb 2010 125
    12 Feb 2010 2
    13 Feb 2010 1
    14 Feb 2010 0
    15 Feb 2010 1
    16 Feb 2010 7
    17 Feb 2010 2
    18 Feb 2010 98
    19 Feb 2010 1
    20 Feb 2010 1
    21 Feb 2010 1

I added some things a couple of months ago to the Awstats config on only a few of the domains, but have changed nothing this month. It is clearly something that has happened since Feb 5th and I am reasonably sure it was not something that I did.

The web server daemon adds the hits (and misses!) to the text (usually) log files as they come in.
    What kind of things could go wrong to prevent recording to the log file?

Another problem might be that the log file is being archived before awstats has finished dealing with it so you might be only getting stats for half the time.
    Is there a way for me to see when that happens?

I was told they reran the analysis of the domain logs, and unfortunately those logs have been rotated and are no longer available. What does that really mean? Is that normal for even yesterdays logs to be rotated already?
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Looks like something that your hosting support will have to get on top of. I'm guessing that it's nothing you have done or can do, but something like a cPanel update. Stay on them to get it solved or tell you what you did if that's the case. What kind of hosting is it?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by suzie250

I was told they reran the analysis of the domain logs, and unfortunately those logs have been rotated and are no longer available. What does that really mean? Is that normal for even yesterdays logs to be rotated already?
    If they rotate very 7 days (on a Sunday) and don't keep any archives, it could be normal for them.

Generally for average web servers, you would rotate every 7 days but you would keep maybe 10 sets of archives for the last 70 days.

The threshold for auto updating of log files to Awstats was increased on my server resulting in no updates for small sites before the logs were rotated.

They have reset the threshold to 100M, but I fear for some of my really small sites, that this is still going to be a problem of no updates before the logs are rotated.

I can manually update Awstats, but I seriously doubt that I am going to remember to do that each week for all those small sites before those logs are rotated.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can work around this?

Can I (on shared hosting), set or change the rotation of the logs for each website?

Edited to add: Can I change where Awstats pulls the data from? The raw logs are there, and I'm a little confused at why Awstats isn't pulling the data from those.

Unfortunately, if your current host is not willing to work with you (or for you) it may be time to look for a new host. If you are are generating meaningful income it might be a good idea to split your site(s) among two hosts anyway. Not putting all your sites in the same "basket" keeps you from being out of business if someone drops the basket (a server disaster).

I currently have sites in three different physical locations (with three different companies) and I haven't seen the situation you describe. I have WHM/CPanel with all three hosts and and use AWStats on all of my sites.

One of the three does not allow me to manually update the stats - so I am slowly migrating sites away from there.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bill, On the one that you can't manually update. Did you check .conf file and see if you have "AllowToUpdateStatsFromBrowser=1"?
    Then you can set the permissions for the .conf to 0444 and it should work.

Raw Apache log files
    This is an old thread, but Suzie can download the RAW Apache log files and save them to her hard drive, before the logs are rotated on the server. Also, check in the Control Panel, to see if the time between rotations can be lengthened. One of the reasons I moved my web sites from servers with the Ensim Control Panel to cPanel Control Panel was Awstats. IMHO, it is a huge improvement over Webalizer, which is also available on cPanel Shared Servers. The various reporting programs (Awstats, Webalizer, etc.) all work from the RAW Apache log files.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread