Domain Masking ?
    I know you can't use WP for affiliate marketing per se - just using it as an example for purposes of my question:

If I own bluewidgets.com and I forward & mask that domain to bluewidgets.wordpress.com so users only see bluewidgets.com:

1) is the referring domain url the affiliate merchant sees going to be bluewidgets.com or bluewidgets.wordpress.com (the one I'm attempting to mask over)?

2) in this situation would search engine bots index bluewidgets.com as the domain name or would they see and index the masked one as true domain as far as organic listings go?

Any help would be appreciated!
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Hi!

I am just wondering why you would still want to use bluewidgets.wordpress.com if you already own bluewidgets.com. After all, you would not be able to put affiliate links into bluewidgets.wordpress.com.

If you own bluewidgets.com and want to use wordpress, you can install wordpress on the domain through the hosting control panel. On a wordpress site hosted on your own domain and hosting server, you can put in affiliate links.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    affilorama, I think GoGolts was using WP as an example primary domain. I think he is really asking about subdomains.

Personally, most of my new domains are "add on" domains to a few primary domains hosted at hostgator. Technically, they are subdomains but redirect to the domain. And from a SEO point of view, I am not seeing any disadvantage. For example, if I type in mysubdomain.myprimarydomain.com I am redirected to mysubdomain.com
    Furthermore, if I try to search for mysubdomain.myprimarydomain.com in Google, nothing shows up (which is a good thing). I only get search results when I search for mysubdomain.com . So no disadvantage but a big advantage of getting free hosting for all my new sites.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    I know you can't use WP for affiliate marketing per se ...
    Not to derail your thread -- but what in the world does that mean??

I use WP to run a number of my affiliate marketing sites. So why do you say you can't use WP for affiliate marketing?
    Generate more fake news.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    OP means wordpress.com not installed wordpress.org

This WP.com and wp.org confusion is becoming like what adwords and adsense was a few years ago.

Ah, now I get it. Of course you can't use Wordpress.COM, but by simply referring to WP, even though he does use wordpress.com as his example, was very confusing.

BTW -- andbeyond, you are absolutely correct about that confusion between wordpress.com and wordpress.org, as well as its similarity to the adsense/adwords stuff. One of the other forums I frequent regularly CONSTANTLY struggles to help newbies remember the distinctions between wordpress.com/wordpress.org and adsense/adwords.

GoColt, you need to be more careful or precise in your examples here. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Wow and I actually thought out that post for like 15 minutes before posting it to try and make my question clear - lol. Guess posting it at 2 in the morning didn't help. Forgot about the differences between WP com/org. Sorry about that.

Here is my question again - maybe a little bit clearer:

If you forward a domain you do own to a subdomain you don't own (but have full license rights to use anyway you see fit) and set the display url to mask so it only shows users the domain name you do own - what gets reported to the affiliate merchant when someone clicks your affiliate link when the site url is being masked - the subdomain that is masked or the domain you own that is in the display URL?
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

PS - Affilorama: This video from your website has literally been a huge blessing to me. I had that structured approach somewhere inside my mind but could never bring it out. Once I watched that whiteboard example everything just began to click and each month since then my revenue has been increasing. Not sure if this is Mark or what your role is there but thank you very much and please keep that video posted - I refer back to it for inspiration to help me keep moving forward.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread