Google employees convicted for content uploaded by users...interesting read.
    A very interesting article from Google's official blog about their employees being convicted for content that was put up on Google Video by a user.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...=Google+Reader
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

It neglects to state the punishment with the conviction. Anyone know the sentence/fine/punishment?

A ridiculous case to be sure.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Anyone know the sentence/fine/punishment?
    Six month suspended sentence.

John

While not commenting on the specifics of this case, it's about time someone is held responsible for user-submitted content.

Theft, copyright infringement, illegal activities.. and always the excuse "it's not our fault, it's our users". Too many sites hide behind that feeble excuse..

I know of one VERY big site built using thousands of copyright-protected & stolen photos (they haven't paid a dime), and blame their users for theft, if called out. It's an appalling business practice that would never be allowed offline.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but this is pretty big issue for me.

teezone: Upholding copyright should be an important issue for all. Removing user submitted content that violates those copyrights is still the web master's responsibility, and needs to be adhered to. The DMCA supports this.

I get your frustration though. There needs to be a way for the internet to recognize and VERY quickly deal with these instances, as it has sky rocketed in the last several years (although always existed).
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Google lets stuff like this slide because they make money from it and usually take action when authorities or somebody notifies them. Fight videos or videos on what we're talking about here bring in some traffic. They had some bad press before because of all the fight videos on YouTube and Google said they remove those type of things but just type in Epic Beard Man, a very viral video, they're making money from it. And they have to know about it when it's one of the most watched videos on the network. That's just what it is.

Was reading some more on it, since Google left some things out. It was Google Video and in Italy, not sure the laws there but Google says they have a problem with on their blog:

"The video was totally reprehensible and we took it down within hours of being notified by the Italian police."

but they knew about for awhile:

"The footage was posted in September 2006 and became the most viewed where it remained for two months before finally being removed."

Backing up what I was saying. It brings in traffic, they like that because it makes money and only when notified, they do something about it.

And generally I'm all for freedom, one of the reasons I like the internet, how wide open it is. But I'm not sure about the laws they have in Italy.

They have other problems as well - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...t-freedom.html
    "The ruling was the latest in a series of blow to Google which came a day after the European Union said that it was investigating the company over allegations that its search engine demoted other sites.

Last year Google also came under fire from France's president Nicolas Sarkozy after the company announced it planned to scan French books and put them into it's internet library."

There they go again, wanting to scan other people's copyrighted material for their own gain.
    Last edited by Trust; February 24th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread