http and a telephoto
    I decided that setting a goal to make per month was too general and hard to focus on, and setting a goal per merchant isn't what I wanted to do right now either, so I decided I am setting a goal per website. With a reseller account, if I sold hosting I could make $10 per month per url for hosting. I don't want to be a host, I don't like all the tech support I would need to do.

So my new goal is $10 per month per domain. Now, that might not sound like much, but between my own registered domains (50+) and my Cafe Press shops, which each have their own address (let's say 10 to keep it simple, I have actually a few more than that I think)

So that is a goal of $6000 or so per month. Which sounds like a lot for me (I have never made $6000 a month at anything!), but it sounds much more reasonable when it is broken down to $10 per domain. Each domain I have registered has a purpose, and right now I have 4-5 domains doing all the work (we are hovering around the $1200-1500 per month mark).

Just thought I would toss this out there as an idea that others might find "doable". I am sure there are a bunch of you out there making a whole lot more than $10 per domain, but are you making it on ALL your domains???
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I like breaking it down like that as well. I've set my goal for 10 merchants that pay me an average of $500 per month. Nothing staggering per merchant, just a reasonable amount to shoot for. Obviously I'll probably end up promoting more than 10 merchants, so I can easily adjust my goal to say $100 per merchant. That way the smaller merchants contribute a decent amount to my bottom line. I think it's much easier to set small goals rather than some newbie coming here saying that he's ready to make $10K a month. Grow rich slowly!

Loxy, I like were your going here but help me understand your example, if you have 60 or so domains don't you need $100 per domain not $10 to reach your $6000 goal?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    60 * $10 = $600

You may want to aim a little higher unless you like empl*yment...

Edit: Looks like Charlie/babieskidoodle typed a bit faster than I did...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    LOL, I guess I need a math refresher course... I knew it sounded too easy.

Ok, make that $100 per domain, it shouldn't be a hard goal to reach if some domains are already making $500-800 per month.
    Deborah Carney

erm... regardless of the targetted amount, that's actually a very large goal.

60 domains - that's sixty moving targets to watch and work on.

I tend to break (continuing) goals down to about half a dozen or a max of ten at a time. Even ten can become onerous to track.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spencer:
    I like breaking it down like that as well. I've set my goal for 10 merchants that pay me an average of $500 per month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good goal too, but it seems too hard to reach to me and I don't like relying on "per merchant". Each site has a niche or a theme and will utilize several merchants per site, with *gasp* content to draw traffic.

I had some merchants on the climb last summer that tanked, so I don't want to rely on any one or any group of specific merchants.

And I guess with redirects and subdirectories I probably have 10 subdirs on some of my domains already, and if they each made the $10 per month goal that would get me to $6000 also.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ulterior Motif:
    erm... regardless of the targetted amount, that's actually a very large goal.

60 domains - that's sixty moving targets to watch and work on.

I tend to break (continuing) goals down to about half a dozen or a max of ten at a time. Even ten can become onerous to track. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of my best performing merchants I put up sites for and forgot about until I got a check in the mail. Some of the 60 are already at "the goal" so I need a reason to focus on the others and make sure they are all "earning their keep". I'm sure it will still be less than 10 that are bringing in the bulk of the revenue in the long run.
    Deborah Carney

Deb,

I like your thinking. I was just telling my (Boss,I mean) wife tonight I have one more site project that I am going to finish and then no more new stuff until all the old stuff is making money. I think $100 is a better goal than $10 but like you I already have some sites well above that.

So it's making them stay where they are and building all the new ones up to that level. My goal for the end of the year was 10K per month. Don't know if i will make it but we are not even half way through the year.

Spider Man
    Living on the web
    Hopefully one day making a living on the web

Deb,

I have a similar goal per domain, for me its $20 each...

guess I'll be busy all summer... I have some sites that get lots of traffic... but have never made one cent!...

my strategy has always been to build till I find those niches that work for me... and drop the ones that do nothing... just dropped 10...

of coarse i have already replaced them... with 10 new ideas...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my strategy has always been to build till I find those niches that work for me... and drop the ones that do nothing... just dropped 10...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My problem is my niches have niches and I am trying to expand into new niches so I am not stuck in the same niche forever...........
    (did I do that without typos?????)
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Good luck, but I think that you are going to find it hard to reach $100 for 60 domains.

It would be much more realistic to try for $1,000 at 6 domains

Or even $6,000 at 1 domain

How many of your domains are making money?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Julian:
    It would be much more realistic to try for $1,000 at 6 domains

Or even $6,000 at 1 domain <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think true to a certain degree. I think (and maybe offbase) that fewer domains with laser focus, or more cast more domains with a broad net.

I'm willing to bet there are some single domains that bring in $XX,XXX per month, and some aggressive domains buyers that own XXX,XXX domains that bring in only $X each per month, per domain. Specialty shop vs McDonald's. 1 vs. 30,000

ABW Ambassador
    I personally like working on just 1 domain. However, I do have 6, but 99% of my time is devoted to just 1 of them.

I cannot imagine having to work with 60 domains

If it works for you though...

[QUOTE]

I cannot imagine having to work with 60 domains
    QUOTE]

for me having 95 websites... is like having one very large monster website.... I treat each a like a store within a mall...

over the past few months I have settled on a formula (basic template) that is some what SEO'd and gets sales...

this has been a real time saver.

it is no different then an investor with 100's of rental properties...
    they all dont need fixing at the same time.

I work on one at a time till I have it the way I want it... then move on...
    only coming back to tweek or update prices.. since most of my original sites
    have static pages... I dont have many with prices...

Naked Zombie... has it right... I chose to cast a broad net...
    because my attempt to focus like a laser beam failed...
    (I now realize I chose the wrong niche)

No turning back now...

i'm in up to my neck and thewater is fine...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

http and a telephoto
    A couple of good points have been brought up, I really like the real estate comparison, they don't all need fixing at the same time!!!

How many of you with 1 or 2 sites have 60-70 sections on that site? Be honest. You aren't making tons of money with one focused site that only has one category.

I have a couple of mega sites that have many subdirectories and some of the domains I am referring to are just taking those subdirs and giving them their own presence with room to grow and expand.

So, as mentioned, managing 60 domains isn't really much different than managing one big shopping mall site with many departments.

Concentrating on the pieces separately helps you see the potential for adding other merchants and content and gets you out of shopping mall mode and into "boutique" mode. Malls have their place and so do boutiques!
    Deborah Carney

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread