Question Should a good affiliate recruitment manager first to be a good affiliate?
    Great communication skills /have a natural ability to motivate others.
    These two abilities are special vital for an affiliate recruitment manager. But Should a good affiliate recruitment manager first to be a good affiliate?

Quote Originally Posted by sherry Ciao
    Great communication skills /have a natural ability to motivate others.
    These two abilities are special vital for an affiliate recruitment manager. But Should a good affiliate recruitment manager first to be a good affiliate?
    should have good amount of experience being an affiliate but should not compete with affiliates in own company.

some affiliates live from second tier commissions ... but currently less and less affiliates spent time with recruiting of other affiliates - it was trend few years ago
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

15 years and counting
    A good affiliate should make 10 times the salary of an affiliate recruitment manager or he's not that good. Look for somebody with a good amount of experience being an affiliate like Herb said. Avoid the frustration on both side.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    A good affiliate should make 10 times the salary of an affiliate recruitment manager or he's not that good. Look for somebody with a good amount of experience being an affiliate like Herb said. Avoid the frustration on both side.
    Crap -

How much does an AM make?

X 10 = $$$$ ???

Maybe I'm not doing as well as I thought???

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

A good affiliate should make 10 times the salary of an affiliate recruitment manager or he's not that good. Look for somebody with a good amount of experience being an affiliate
    Then no 'good' affiliate would ever take a manager job. And the 90% pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by qualityunit
    some affiliates live from second tier commissions ... but currently less and less affiliates spent time with recruiting of other affiliates - it was trend few years ago
    When I entered this industry a few months ago, not familiar with the trend of the affiliate industry blocks my way very much. The internet and affiliate development fall behind many years in China, you know. More than that I can totally understand the Internet Environment is not good...
    Thank you for your information.

Affiliate Manager affiliateaholic's Avatar
    Smile Chinese?
    Quote Originally Posted by sherry Ciao
    When I entered this industry a few months ago, not familiar with the trend of the affiliate industry blocks my way very much. The internet and affiliate development fall behind many years in China, you know. More than that I can totally understand the Internet Environment is not good...
    Thank you for your information.
    Welcome, Chinese friend!

A good recruiting manager shall be good at finding the good affiliates, but he may not be a good one. If he is not a good affilater, how can he identify a good one?

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Why do I so want to type..."Those that can, do; Those that can't, teach" (err.. manage?) LOL

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    An affiliate manager needs to have affiliate accounts to check what their program looks like to the affiliate. Plus, you need to test links and run live click/sales. Get a good book on HTML and create some pages. Plus, it helps to understand ftp, domain registration, email setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    An affiliate manager needs to have affiliate accounts to check what their program looks like to the affiliate. Plus, you need to test links and run live click/sales. Get a good book on HTML and create some pages. Plus, it helps to understand ftp, domain registration, email setup.
    very useful point, thanks!

Outsourced Program Manager Troy J - JRami's Avatar
    You don't necessarily need to be a great affiliate to be a great affiliate manager, it's a different skill set.

You should have a basic understanding of all the marketing concepts so you can answer some basic questions from your affiliates and understand your program's market, but you mostly only need to be knowledgeable with regards to the actual program you are running.

It's not your job to teach your affiliates internet marketing, it's your job to help them promote your program. For most advanced internet marketing info, you can direct your affiliates to other sources.
    Troy J Foss, Affiliate Manager
    [URL="http://www.bnbtobacco.com"]BnBTobacco[/URL] (affiliates/at/bnbtobacco.com) | [URL="http://kelleyfurniture.com"]KelleyFurniture[/URL] (troy/at/shopimar.com)

"It's not your job to teach your affiliates internet marketing", That helps me a lot. Recently I talked to some target affiliates and new affiliates, I felt that the merchant's responsibility is to give their affiliates more new ideas on creating links, banners or activities, such as new product information.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sherry, at every opportunity you should provide information to help affiliate best promote your products/services. Don't expect them to always find copy, provide it. Deep link to product pages and turn it into text links. Offer to do custom coupons and graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Sherry, at every opportunity you should provide information to help affiliate best promote your products/services. Don't expect them to always find copy, provide it. Deep link to product pages and turn it into text links. Offer to do custom coupons and graphics.
    Chuck is 100% right. As one of his affilaites in multiple programs, I've been impressed with Chuck's assistance promoting different products.

I will also add that good communication with your affiliates is key. This is another one of Chuck's strong points. Chuck communicates very well and seems to be up 24 hours a day as he is quick to answer my questions.

Serious affiliates want to build strong relationships with their merchants, so give them the opprotunity to build those relationships.

Affiliates
    This is probally the best way to make money through affiliate tiers.

Affiliate Manager
    Talking
    This is funny somehow... I've spent my last 4 years being an affiliate manager and suggesting my affiliates great marketing techniques, about the internet persona, e-buyers, SEO, PPC, etc, and all I've seen are angry affiliates thinking I wanted to take over their campaigns
    Affiliates need to understand that we just want to make the relationship as profitable as possible, the more they earn, the more we earn

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post
    This is funny somehow... I've spent my last 4 years being an affiliate manager and suggesting my affiliates great marketing techniques, about the internet persona, e-buyers, SEO, PPC, etc, and all I've seen are angry affiliates thinking I wanted to take over their campaigns
    I've often sought consul from affiliate managers when looking for better ways to promote their programs and really can't think of too many circumstances that would cause me to become angry, unless the information wasn't solicited by me and they came across as demanding or pushy.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post
    Affiliates need to understand that we just want to make the relationship as profitable as possible, the more they earn, the more we earn
    And some AMs need to understand that there is no such thing as unlimited resources and that their program isn't the only one that we're promoting. That means that we need to expend those resources where we think we'll get the biggest bang for the buck. To you, expanding the promotion of your program may make sense. To me, my time and money may be better spent promoting a competitor or a completely unrelated merchant or niche.

While I appreciate AMs that take the time to respond to requests for help (you'd be amazed at how many don't), and I have received some excellent unsolicited advice, sometimes unsolicited advice just isn't very helpful. Nothing personal, it's just a matter of priorities.

Someone posted this recently (sorry I don't remember who) and it stuck with me: "Unsolicited advice is always self-serving."

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    Help is help; either you want to take it or not, but I respect your position

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread