Unethical or Not?
    Is it unethical to but a links in your articles on your blog that just link to yourself? (with your keywords) Kind of unsure so I figured I would ask.
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

ABW Ambassador
    Not following exactly. Are you talking about you might have an article somewhere on your site and there is a link in the article going back to let's say your home page or something?

well say I had an article on my site about dog training or something. My targeted keywords were "dog training" Well if throughout my article I had a anchored text with those keywords in it linking to the same exact page you are on. Is that considered bad?
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

ABW Ambassador
    Nah, it has nothing to do with ethics. It's your site, you can link anyway you want to. It just doesn't make much sense. Don't think it's going to give you any SEO benefit and if somebody clicks, they'll be right back on the page they're reading. It would be better if you linked to the dog training page, with "dog training" from other pages on your site, where it makes sense. Just look at wikipedia as an example who do a great job of doing that. With every wikipedia entry, there's usually many links to other pages on the site.

As an example, dog training - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_training

Yeah, I heard it does add value to your SEO. But that information might be incorrect. I am with you on that people might just be like "that was weird" when they click on the link..lol

I'd go out on a limb and take a wild guess that maybe the Wikipedia people know what they are doing.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

surely they must know something

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    well say I had an article on my site about dog training or something. My targeted keywords were "dog training" Well if throughout my article I had a anchored text with those keywords in it linking to the same exact page you are on. Is that considered bad?
    At first I misinterpreted what you said. Linking to the page you are on is a bit goofy and might annoy your visitors. And who knows, maybe it will carry a small SEO penalty. But it probably is not going to help in SEO. Rather, you should link to other pages in your site as much as appropriate. So spend your time creating other pages. Then link to them if it makes sense.

Generally, what makes sense for your visitor is the best way to go.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

If you are using <a name="" links it is great for SEO and useful to your visitors. That takes visitors from one area of the page to another. If the link just refreshes the page is is not a good experience for visitors.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    If you are using <a name="" links it is great for SEO and useful to your visitors. That takes visitors from one area of the page to another. If the link just refreshes the page is is not a good experience for visitors.
    That makes a lot of sense. I didn't even realize you could link this way - takes the place of the old way of using bookmarks, and eliminates a step. Again, this would be good because it is of benefit to the visitor.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Generally, what makes sense for your visitor is the best way to go.
    +1
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I don't think it hurts your link link building/SEO, but not positive it helps either. Although I will admit I've done that periodically and it seems to have been effective for the KW I was targeting.

This type of linking has little to zero effect to on your link profile for a specific keyword. We tried this test and found very little movement for our targeted keywords. However, if the links are valuable to your readers I vote do it. A lot of our internal links are still live simply because we think they are helpful to our readers! Hope this helps.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    The one time this would work is if you are planing on having a lot of people syndicate your articles. Then the links from the sites your article appears on would be back to your site. However it is better to use the <a name or link to other relevant pages on your site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Many articles at latimes.com do this. I thought it was just a bug in their CMS.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I see it as being potentially a bad user experience. Site links are a way to take visitors from one area of the site to another area either for more extensive coverage of that "thought or word" or to another site for the same reason, correct? Even having a glossary page or definition page would be more beneficial maybe.

By linking to the same page the person is on, would be like a fake refresh. Might improve pvs slightly if it is a popular page, but so would having a legit page to link to and it would be far less confusing.

Breaking a page into bolded sub-headings for key words would be more beneficial all around I would think.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

It's always jarring to click a link that takes you back to the top of the page. If there is suspected SEO benefit from doing something like that I imagine that it's not worth the risk of ticking off users.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I think that tactic is only effective for SEO strategies when OTHER sites do it linking to YOUR site. Wil Reynolds talked about strategies in the specific words you hyperlink at both Affiliate Summit East 2009 and West 2010.

An example he used was the hyperlinking of the phrase "click here" which happens to rank Adobe as #1 because of their Adobe Reader download where everyone puts on their site something like "if you don't have adobe reader, click here (hyperlinked) to get it free/now"

He showed that google is taking the words "click here" and the fact that they are hyperlinked to adobe.com and relating those. So... as someone mentioned above about article marketing, if you are trying to build up "you", then you want people to hyperlink your name and put your site url, as opposed to something like "See more of Silver's articles by clicking here (hyperlinking clicking here).

I agree with the others that linking within your own article, especially on the same page, will probably turn people off more than anything else as it makes it look like you don't know what you're doing.
    Last edited by BlogBonnieBlog; February 26th, 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: fix a typo

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread