DE USA
    Does having more than one on a page effect PR if so how?

I'm not sure I know the answer, but I can give you an example ...

If you go to google and search for "Web Hosting" ... you'll see that the number #1 is "Fortune City" ...

If you view the source of the page, you'll see that their menu at the top is made of several <H1> tags.

... and they have a page ranking of 8!

PR (PageRank) has nothing to do with on-page factors (other than links out), it has to do with links pointing to the page in question.

And the GPR of the pages pointing to your page. And the amount of outbound links, which subtract from your pages GPR.

Opposite the Slough of Despond
    defanjos is right - perhaps you are confusing your ranking in the SERPs (search engine results pages) with PageRank (which is an indication of the site's "authority")

Thing like <h1></h1> <h2></h2> <title></title> tags certainly help structure the content of the page.

So for a page about Blue Widgets you might want

<title>Blue Widgets</title>

<h1>Blue Widgets</h1>
    Insert sales blurb here.

<h2>Remote controlled blue widgets</h2>
    Insert more sales blurb here.

The search engine will factor in the information in the heading and title tags and use that to identify the topic of the page, combined with a large number of other on- and off-page factors.

If you use these to make the page content clear, then that will generally give you a better ranking in the SERPs. Don't overdo it though or you'll get the opposite effect.

However, I think the answer to Doug's question is that the "natural" way to format the page would be with just one <H1></H1> tag per page and a number of <H2></H2> or maybe even <H3></H3> tags. Search engines will tend to flag excessive <H1></H1> tags or content as spammy.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

If your use of <h1> tags can pass a human inspection, you're OK. I think Google has caught on to the use of the same word used over and over in <h1> tags, as well as pages that have a lot of keyphrases within that tag.

Just build helpful pages, and you should be OK. I often find the ones I don't attempt to optimize at all do the best, for some reason.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread