Hi fellow Affiliates:

I started testing out satellite affiliate programs and I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience with Expert Satellite.

I decided to do a test to see if I would get my commission, so when a friend of mine wanted to order service, I told her about my site.

The order was processed and the commission showed up immediately. It took a while for her to install and activate because they are renters, but they did activate.

She was upset, because in addition to the installation charge, she had to pay her first month up-front and there was no mention of it in during sign-up. She needed her card to activate at delivery.

About a week after they activated, I noticed that my sale still said "shipped" and the commission wasn't going through. I contacted expert satellite and this is what they told me:

xxxxxx,
    Joey,

You are correct in that she has activated her system, however, Expert Satellite has not received her agreement forms and DIRECTV hasn't paid us for the order yet. Therefore, we cannot pay you yet. As soon as Expert Satellite receives payment the activation process is complete and we can pay you.

(They asked if I knew the people, if they were new to DirecTV. I told them yes on both accounts. I then asked Expert Satellite to clarify, since I knew the person who ordered. I also asked them to reference a link explaining that customers were to send DirecTV their contracts in order for me to receive my commission.)

This is what that said:

Sorry for the confusion.* Once your customer activates their system, they must follow all of the instructions, and part of these instructions are to send back the 12 month agreement forms, so that DIRECTV can pay us.*
    If the customer does not do this, DIRECTV will not pay us, and we can't pay partners and affiliates commissions until we are paid.
    If you can, I would contact the customer and make sure that they send back the forms.* Once this is done, we will be able to start the process for you to get paid.* Usually, customers send back their agreement forms immediately, making the process hassle-free.* Unfortuantely, it looks as though in this case, the customer didn't follow procedure - which has held up your commission.

Expert Satellite failed to:
    1)Inform me of this little loop-hole that effectively gives me 0 commission on sales.
    2)The buyer received no instructions with her contract to send to DirecTV.
    3)Expert Satellite makes no mention of this during my affiliate sign-up.

Have others had similar experiences? If so please post. I am trying to keep an open mind, I will try to get Expert Satellite on the phone tomorrow, 3-way to explain this.

I am glad this is happening before I really went all out.

Proceed with caution.

I resolved my issue with Expertsatellite. I don't think I will be working with them, too complicated. Can someone refer me to a satellite affiliate program that is simple?

Good Morning xxxxx

I looked into this further and it looks as though DIRECTV just has not paid us for this order yet. This should be paid on within the next few weeks. There isn't need for a conference call because, after further investigation I found that the forms were returned, but they hadn't been recorded yet. As soon as we get paid, I will contact you and we will get payment out to you.

I apologize for the round about response - unfortunately, sometimes things get held up and it is hard to figure out the source.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: xxxxxxxx, 2004 xxxxxx
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Cc: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What agreement forms? Isn't this automatic process? Is this explained in your affiliate policy? If so, please send me the link. It seemed a simple process when I joined your affiliate program, but now it seems awefully complicated. I would like to actively promote your service so I want to understand how this works.

Thanks,xxxxxxxxxxx

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Reality sets in. All Satellite or DirectTV, highspeed DSL ISP, and cellphone merchnats are just affiliate middlemen posers. You don't get paid till they get paid as they are NOT the real merchants ...only agents with a website.

Reality is that most affiliate enabled merchants are NOT merchants at all. They are order processing agents for the real merchnat or drop shipper. The rarity is a merchant who actually deposts the customers money, ships the product from their own warehouse stock, and is liable for returns and service after the sale. Those folks are your showcase merchants who have a vested interest in the shopper ...all others are subject to instant closure or more likely candidates for just pimping for the mass advertising Ad Whores as they could give a crap about the customer.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    BS

I know many affiliates that make thousands each and every month with Satellite or DirectTV, highspeed DSL, ISP, and Cellphones.

BTW, BDS has its own warehouse in Russell, Ky

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,
    it's correct that many are just the middle people, and they get paid much more than $50 per sale. But, I really don't know the requirements for becoming a direct reseller for the satellite tv networks.
    With regard to other good direct tv resellers, check out rapidsatellite, who I like very much.
    If you want to , send me a PM and you can signup under me in my 2nd tier and I could help you out a little bit with any advice you might need. But, of course, no necessity to do this!
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

couple of things, i have started a site and im yet to see for myself but i will say this my friend is #1 on google and yahoo and msn for a term related to direct tv, he works with rapidsatellite and a few others you mentioned , he does no pay per click just strictly SEO optimizing and he makes excellent money from these guys.. seriously i dont care if they are middle men, if they will pay me $50 a pop, thats fine by me, even if they are geting $150 themselves... I dont plan to use ppc for this site i have created, I will use the stragtegies my friend used to get to the top.. then any money that comes in is good, even you can make $200 dude a month from your site, create 5 likt that and your now at $1000 a month... i would be happy with that, and then move onto another niche...

Screwed Again by Expert Satellite!
    I guess the first screw I received must have been good. I went back for seconds.

I had to practically get my first customer on 3-way to get 1 credit. I even referred another family friend who joined online through my site, and Expert Satellite says: "'Partners Online' got that referral instead." (scumware?) I am livid. I am going to try to get my friend to cancel her order.

What makes matters worse is Expert Satellites complete unwillingness to give me the credit, even when I call with her information!!! Below is their response:

Hi Edmond,

I apologize for the slight delay I was out of the office because of a death in the family. On order 286178 (***** Bai***) the reason why I asked you who exactly placed the order is because a partners code was labeled on this account. This is a online partner and their code was given at the time of the sale.Unfortunately, because of this I can't give you credit for the referral.All codes have to be given correctly at the time of the sale.

Regards,

Ryan O'Hearn
    Referral Awards Account Manager
    eXpert SATELLITE
    1(800)431-1221 ex.110
    ****@expertsatellite.com
    Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 1:48 AM
    To: ryano@expertsatellite.com
    Subject: RE: Referral Credit

Where you able to find out about this order?

Thanks,
    Edmund

Joey &lt;*****@yahoo.com&gt; wrote:
    Dear Ryan,

Thanks for getting back with me. My code is:
    ref448173

The new customer name is:

****** Bai*
    ***** Revere St.
    Springfield, MA

Ryan O'Hearn &lt;*****@expertsatellite.com&gt; wrote:

Edmund,

I need your ref code to investigate the matter. Also, who was the person who
    actually placed the order?
    Please e-mail me back within 48 hours because these type of issues are time
    sensitive.

Regards,

Ryan O'**********
    Referral Awards Account Manager
    eXpert SATELLITE
    1(800)431-1221 ex.110
    ****@expertsatellite.com

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 10:07 PM
    To: referrals@expertsatellite.com
    Subject: Referral Credit

I am wondering if you have received an order under my
    affiliate account for:

***** Bai**
    **** Revere St.
    Springfield, MA

Thanks,
    Edmund

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Try Rapid.
    See their forum here at ABW.
    These "middlemen" as you called them pay me tons!
    When there's a hiccup (and there will be with any program), Rapid solves it.... well.... rapidly...
    I am NOT knocking Expert - know lots of folks that have found success with them - but I've found for myself, that Rapid stands head and shoulders above any other satellite program.

You're here at ABW to try and prevent missteps and mistakes others have made before you! Go to the Rapid board - PM the posters there re: Rapid - leave a note / question there for the Rapid program manager - see what I'm talking about for yourself.

Wish I had started with Rapid when I began!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread