Merchants! AMs! It's National "Chunk Old Deals" Day
    Okay, well, maybe I made that up, but it's not such a bad idea??? Could you all (merchants running their own programs and AMs) PLEASEEEEEE get rid of the old deals and coupons you have junking up the place?? CJ merchants have to be the worst? Maybe? Maybe not?? Maybe it's just a universal problem.

Simple stuff --

Deal Title
    Deal Description
    Deal Code if applicable
    Restrictions if applicable
    Deal Link w/ affiliate number
    Begins --
    Ends ---

And if you put it ends in the year 2012 -- then it should work!!

This isn't like brain surgery stuff here or is it? It must be harder than it looks since there seems to be non-working junk everywhere!

Thanks
    Last edited by leeann; February 26th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Here's a good example from a merchant on CJ:

BeautyTrends.com give you 15% off all orders over $49. Use coupon code 055510 , expires 1/15/06

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Here's a good example from a merchant on CJ:

BeautyTrends.com give you 15% off all orders over $49. Use coupon code 055510 , expires 1/15/06
    Now there is someone really on their game
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Maybe what merchants/AMs do is leave a deal/coupon showing because they might use it again at some later date?? Or they change the coupon code every month, but don't tell anyone? You just have to catch it like for example.... they change jan105off to mar105off...... but fail to send an email to let anyone know??

It sure baffles me.
    Last edited by leeann; February 26th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
    leeann

I blame the networks for not educating the merchants as to the value of quality coupon/deals data. Often I have contacted merchants only to find that they are not aware of the power of having a good expiration date with each entry.

Some in various places are now using the year 2035 or something like that. This really doesn't inspire any sense of urgency on the part of the visitor. It winds up that we display deals that the merchant has expired but the system is not showing it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I blame the networks for not educating the merchants as to the value of quality coupon/deals data.
    That's a good point John, but some of the merchants have been around a very long time and really should know by now. Maybe they do know, but they don't think it's a priority. Who knows. But you are right that it would help a lot if networks spent more time on teaching merchants good standards and proper promotional methods.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    but some of the merchants have been around a very long time and really should know by now
    True but I find that there is high turn over in the folks that handle this and they are always on the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    True but I find that there is high turn over in the folks that handle this and they are always on the learning curve.
    Unfortunately, true. Turnover is likely among some big merchants because they don't put enough "serious" emphasis on their affiliate program - and pay the in-house AM very little.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

This is GREAT thread!

It's getting ridiculous... for one of my merchants, not ONE of the links on the first page are valid. And to add insult to injury, I have to click through each one!

I contacted CJ a few weeks ago about this issue and was told it's the merchant's responsibility, not theirs..

Frankly I have better things to do than contact a merchant to tell them to clean up their deals.. isn't this what the network gets paid for..??

Some may not love LS & GAN here, but their "active link" systems are superb by comparison.

Affiliate Manager
    Great thread. Yet another thing to note to keep affiliates happy.

http and a telephoto
    I have a feeling that merchants think those links are expired by CJ and that they don't *need* to remove them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Great thread LEEANN! This should be sent to every merchant and AM out there. And I agree. I think CJ is probably the worst.

EXAMPLE: On CJ, I am affiliated with UniversalGear. Well, sort of. I say sort of, because I find it nearly impossible to promote them.

They offer a combined total of 31 text and banner links.

Of those 31 links... 21 are *** This promotion has ended. *** Dating back to August 2009.

Two-thirds of their links are currently "out of date". And there are a few others just as bad.

The merchants and AMs need to understand that as affiliates, the more "up-to-date" tools we have available to promote them... The more likely we are to promote them.

But 21 out of 31 links being "expired" is insane.

Surely CJ could at least color code expired junk and I mean before you click to grab the coding. Merchants should really put their foot down about this. CJ has been around long enough to develop things to where affiliates wasting time digging through expired crap doesn't happen. But who knows....... the links will work regardless -- but the SALES GET REVERSED --- so maybe there is a way to do it, but merchants figure if it brings someone to the site, who cares?
    leeann

Affiliate Manager
    As a merchant this is really good information to know. When I get my products up on SAS I'll make sure my coupons are current and the links all work. I'm working on learning as much as I can as fast as i can so I make offer exactly what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by TxJackie
    As a merchant this is really good information to know. When I get my products up on SAS I'll make sure my coupons are current and the links all work. I'm working on learning as much as I can as fast as i can so I make offer exactly what you need.
    Expiration Dates help keep things so easy. Offers that expire after we're all dead and gone are stupid. Ongoing -- until supplies last -- sometimes have to happen, but an email that the products are gone is all it takes sometimes (when it's not a holiday time).
    leeann

Here's another merchant who is really on the ball. World Market -- This is on their main page on Linkshare.

CURRENT AFFILIATE-ONLY PROMOTION:

* Free Shipping on Orders Over $50*

*Offer applies to ground shipping on the purchase of select items at worldmarket.com through 11:59 EST 8/14/2009.

Not that I'm perfect, but sheesh......
    leeann

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread