How about outside advertising? any ideas?
    OK,THAT'S IT!
    Nobody seems to be buying anything (or even signing up)on this internet! I think it's time to go outside.Has anyone tried Lawn Signs,Business Cards,Fliers. Putting people in a CHOKEHOLD!! What Works! HELP

I guess someone forgot to tell my customers to stop buying stuff. I just checked my stats on ShareASale and my most recent sale was about a minute ago.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

You'll have better luck on the internet - as that is where people are searching for items, and that's where your web site is.

Sure you could advertise outside, but the chance of a person remembering your website address would be less likely than if they did a search online and found it.

For online sales - stick to advertising online. For outside sales, go with outside advertising. Sure you can do both, but I'm sure most of your traffic will come from online.

added billboard px
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I guess someone forgot to tell my customers to stop buying stuff. I just checked my stats on ShareASale and my most recent sale was about a minute ago.
    We don't have as many customers as does Michael - only had a few sales since noon today - but they totaled $457.93. For two hours on a Sunday right after lunch and with the Olympics being on TV - we'll take it...and smile.
    Listen to what Lanadili has to say. She knows what she is talking about. Also, make sure you have something on your site that makes a visitor stick around for a while - so you have a chance to do a bit of a pre-sell.

Here is a note just posted by a "Checks" affiliate: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=13 - He seems to be doing all right. He also represents more than just the one program in whose thread he posted - so he has actaully had a lot more sales than with that one program.

As for "outside" advertising...we did get to have our URL on a billboard a few years back (about 5, if I recall). A new real estate agent did not yet have his own website but had a page on my first commercial site, a community site. He put up a billboard and used our URL at the bottom - right under his name and phone number. I know we got some traction from that - but have no actual metrics to say how much. However, I would not do it again (if I had to pay for it).
    Last edited by Bill; February 27th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    foxf, if you do a search, you'll find some old threads discussing things like putting flyers on car windows, newspaper advertising, radio ads, banners on the back of airplanes flying over beaches, and the like.

They are identical in one aspect.

They don't produce online sales sufficient to cover their cost.

As those above have stated, your best bet for success is to stick with and improve your online presence.

Though, if you personally went door-to-door in your own neighborhood, and thus didn't incur costs of having employees, or transportation and other associated costs, maybe that chokehold idea might actually work.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    Our online sales are GREAT now. So it's just a matter of getting enough eyeballs to your web site and offering something people really want and need.

In my other (real estate) business I do some offline marketing which includes:

magnetic signs on my truck with USP and URL

getting a lot of other people to put magnetic signs on their car too with USP/URL ( lots os moving billboards)

direct mail - buy a targeted mailing list and send postcards ( USPS.com is ideal)

submit articles to newspapers & magazines

Run ads through the state press corp - very cheap.

Probably the most bang for my buck is to get 1,000's of bright yellow ink pens with my USP and URL and leave them all over the place. People will keep a pen for as long as it works -- and they get passed around!

Actually with people having lots of iphones and other cellphones available nowadays I think traditional advertising can help with branding. If you catch people in an area where there is not much distraction and they are frankly bored waiting for something, e.g. airport, doctor's office, in an airplane, etc. then they are most likely already playing with their phones already and may look up your site if they see an ad that intrigues them.

Get balloons printed with your domain name on them. Get a helium can and attach it to a luggage frame so it's easy to wheel around. Put on a Krusty the Clown mask and an Elvis Suit with your domain name plastered across the back. Go to the downtown or public park areas of the nearest major city and give free balloons out.

Depends on what you're selling I guess, but this works for Halloween Costumes.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I think offline promotion probably works best for localized web sites. Also, it helps if you have a large value per visitor, because the acquisition costs will be quite a bit higher. For a typical affiliate web site, offline advertising would be almost totally ineffective.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by TxJackie
    Probably the most bang for my buck is to get 1,000's of bright yellow ink pens with my USP and URL and leave them all over the place. People will keep a pen for as long as it works -- and they get passed around!
    I like it a lot. Good idea! Business cards/fliers are really quick to get tossed, but everyone needs a pen.

Post-It Notes and Letter Openers are two other promotional products that people keep and use, but they're quite a bit more expensive than pens.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't Connie sponsor serious Rock Concerts?

Yes, although I don't know how much of that is for advertising and how much is just for personal interest.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

14. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread