3 15.79%
  • DSL 700+ kps

3 15.79%
  • DSL 1500+ kps

3 15.79%
  • Other

0 0%
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What is the minimum internet connection needed to do affiliate marketing? I am assuming 50kps is the absolute minimum for all.

Feel free to comment if indicate if you do data feeds, etc.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Any connect will work....

just some of us need a big pipe to push our egos down...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I do just fine with a $5 a month dial-up connection. If I have a big upload or download it takes a while, but so what. And I have a free 10 hours a month dial-up as a backup for the rare ocasions when my regular one's down.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

simply a matter of what you do with what you got

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    When I built my first affiliate website, I didn't have any sort of internet connection at all. I did it all from an Internet Cafe in London.

ABW Ambassador
    Though I have cable at home, I still do some of my work through a dial up connection when at friend's and relatives' houses, and am able to get a reasonable amount of work done. It's a slower go of course but you can still get by with it. I wouldn't want it to be my only option though; the difference in speed of cable or DSL would pay for itself in the increased productivity of one day's work.

To us, time is money, that simple. We upload several times in a day, the page is up in less than 2 minutes. You never know who is ready to buy at the time the page is uploaded.

Never settle for less, when you can get more, when it comes to doing business. If the store is closed, they will buy someplace else.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Dial up 50+kps

But 80% of the time my modem status display connected at 45,333 bps, not to bad unless I am at CJ searching for products or uploading a bunch of pages with FrontPage.

Sal.

If you're doing data feeds you may need a high-speed connection. Otherwise, it doesn't matter, does it?

Having said all that, once you have high speed - you never (willingly go back).

Fred

"once you have high speed - you never (willingly go back)."

I agree, I know I need a high-speed connection since last December when I did my first 1.5k pages with WebMerge.

What is holding me back in getting a high-speed connection is that until I replace my dinosaur Pentium ll. computer (192 MB of Ram, 400MHZ cpu), with one of the top of the line system, I am forced to stay with my dial up modem.

As soon as I start getting big checks from the Networks and be able to spend about $3k to $5k in one shot on all the equipment with all the features that I have in mind, then I will upgrade to high-speed connection.

Sal.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think it depends on what you're doing. Dialup is fine for most things, if you have the patience for it. I was on d*al*p for a long time (too long!)...

But it'd literally take DAYS to upload some of my current sites over di*lup, and that's if they're zipped. That would be IF the darned MSN would have stayed on, which it wouldn't do unless I was willing to sit there and "okay" nag boxes every few minutes. Problem was, they'd come up randomly, so the only way to ensure that the connection would stay on was to babysit the computer throughout the entire upload process!

After babysitting it for a couple of 4-hour uploads, I started looking at cable ads a lot more closely. And the day when it hung up after 3 hours and 50 minutes of a 4-hour upload (blowing all that time out the window since it was a single ZIP file)--DESPITE me acknowledging the nag box--my next call was to Comcast.

I got Cable even when I still was using my cheapie Celeron 533mHz. They just gave me an adapter to plug the cable modem in with since there wasn't a real cable port in it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    "After babysitting it for a couple of 4-hour uploads,"
    "And the day when it hung up after 3 hours and 50 minutes of a 4-hour upload (blowing all that time out the window"
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

I think I know exactly how you must had felt at that time.

One day I was doing a big upload and two times I got disconnected few minutes before it was finished, after wasting about 10 hrs that day and not being able to complete the full upload without getting disconnected just before the end, I decided not to continue and I shut down the computer for the rest of the day. (I was defeated)

That day I blame it all on the phone company, the datafeed, the computer, the MB of memory, even on the day of the week I was born. Even the idea to throw the entire computer to the middle of the street, crossed my mind on that day.

Three days later and with the idea that I was not going to be defeated again, I started to upload only 50 pages at the time and this time I was able to upload all the 2k pages in a few hours and without any interruption. By now when I do a large upload, I do 200 to 300 pages at the time with no problem, but if I try to upload it all at in one shot, I will still get disconnected just before it finished.

I know that in order to do more in less time, I need to get a high speed connection, but like I said on my other post above, I will not get my DSL account until I get my new computer and in the meant time I guess I must waste some extra hours every time that I decide to upload a new big database.

Sal.

As I live in a small village I have no choice but dial-up, except maybe a satellite link which is waaaaay over-priced.

When I started making sites, the upload time wasn't a problem. As the sites grew it became more so. I changed hosts over the Christmas / New Year period and I had to go through the whole upload in chunks and babysit in case of error messages routine.

Upload time has now probably become one of the biggest reasons for me to never change hosting company.

I find browsing through cj too slow even on cable, but I'm not a patient person. The big time saver is having 2 monitors. I have photoshop and my html program open along with the merchants site to find the products I want and cj or whoever open to make links. Stuff all over the place! Can't imagine doing it all in one window.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    "I find browsing through cj too slow even on cable, but I'm not a patient person."
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Cable supposedly if much faster than dial-up, according to all the advertising I recive from the cable company in my area.

--------------------
    I guess that I have more patient that anybody I know and when I really want to accomplish something no matter how difficult it's, I take all the time it takes, even the years it takes if necessary, (I still have a few in the oven for over many years by now.)
    --------------------

One of the way I found to work faster on CJ, even with my slow dial-up connection of only 45,333 bps, is that once I get the main page open, I start right-clicking on all the links to the pages that I am planing on viewing and have all those pages open in a new window.

By the time that I finish with the email folder, I already have 5, 10 and even more windows open loaded and ready to work on.

Sal.

I've used all forms of connection. Dial-up is too slow for uploading pictures and big databases. It is ok for small text changes only. DSL is much better and quicker. Remember time is money too. Save your time for yourself.

I currently use the quickest connection available (cable) to minimize upload and download time. Also a lot of link pages for CJ, Linkshare, etc. have lots of graphics and they can slow you down a lot if you have a slow connection. Remember speed is always more fun.

If you need to use dial-up for cost reasons, use a 5x accelerator with it. You'll thank yourself for doing it.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback. I am switching from dial-up to DSL because it will actually be cheaper! Right now, we have 2 lines and with DSL we only need 1. When we only had 1 line, the line was busy too much. When an in-law moved in for a while, we went to 2 lines.

Yes, CJ is really slow, especially if you are trying to set up individual product links. There is no worse feeling than realizing that you just spent an hour (or hours) doing something that should only take minutes!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread