More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    no-follow on distributed WP themes?
    I have created some WordPress themes and like many others, I will place an attribution link to my site in the footer. Should that be a no-follow link or does it even matter? I guess I would not expect a lot of SEO benefit from the link even if it is followed so I am thinking it might be best to use rel="no follow". And it would avoid any type of penalty. Is there one?

I know Google wants no-follow on paid links but this is a little different.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

First, congratulations on creating your own theme!

I would absolutely have the link be followed. I doubt that there will be a penalty unless you get all 50,000 links in one day. If it is naturally increase in linking then that is OK. Realistically you would probably acquire a few links a day/week. If it's a free theme and you have posted it on a popular download site perhaps more.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    First, congratulations on creating your own theme!

I would absolutely have the link be followed. I doubt that there will be a penalty unless you get all 50,000 links in one day. If it is naturally increase in linking then that is OK. Realistically you would probably acquire a few links a day/week. If it's a free theme and you have posted it on a popular download site perhaps more.
    +1!!!

I want to see...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hey, Cheesehead, what gives here?? You can't just casually say you've created a few themes -- and not let us WP theme fanatics have a look at, 'em? Can you?? LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Hey, Cheesehead, what gives here?? You can't just casually say you've created a few themes -- and not let us WP theme fanatics have a look at, 'em? Can you?? LOL!
    I used a program to create some "template" themes so it was not a great technological accomplishment on my part. They are pretty plain-jane 2 or 3 column themes and you can hack the code on them after they are generated as well to add links or ads to the columns. The program allows redistribution in its terms.

I realize how difficult it would be to create a WP theme from the ground up. Pretty much need a php-phd !

And loxly these themes are on the blogging site I was working on. I will be including in my sig link as soon as it is completed.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I recall reading somewhere a while back that Google started treating no-follow/follow as the same thing to avoid something called page rank sculpting. I'll try to find where I saw that.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I tried this in the past to get links because a competitor was doing it. We both got a minus 50 penalty for 4 months. We did a lot of groveling to Google. We took as many down as we could and even sent out emails to people using our template to take down the link.

If your going to do it make sure you point it to your template site and don't use a keyword phrase to some other subject. Your probably ok if you point it to a web design site where the template was designed.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ogletree
    I tried this in the past to get links because a competitor was doing it. We both got a minus 50 penalty for 4 months. We did a lot of groveling to Google. We took as many down as we could and even sent out emails to people using our template to take down the link.

If your going to do it make sure you point it to your template site and don't use a keyword phrase to some other subject. Your probably ok if you point it to a web design site where the template was designed.
    Sounds like you were using it to get link juice to some sites, instead of links right back to the design site. In that case I can see that being a penalty and I am pretty sure WordPress themselves is policing this on the themes submitted to their theme repository.

Sometimes it's best *not* to do what your competitors are doing
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Well I should not say I did this. It was a client that did it. I had to go and fix it. Yes it was done purely to get anchor text links and a really bad idea. I would never have approved of something like that especially on a branded business website.

Also it was not posted to wp. There are a million wp theme websites you can get listed on. As a matter of fact it is hard to not get listed on those sites. Once you put it up on one they all scrape each other. These theme were downloaded a lot. I had a google alert set up and we were seeing 10 or so sites show up in Google with our theme.

If you make a good enough theme and nofollow it you will get a lot of traffic. We had some website that was the home of some viral video that used it until they got there own design and we got a ton of traffic. People do click on those links.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread