Ezine Article Usage
    Tried searching for this on here and on the net and surprisingly I couldn't find much? Might not have been searching for the correct terms. Wasn't sure if this is the right forum either?

So I wrote such a wonderful article that was published to Ezine. Checking my back links I saw a new one. Yes, I have so few I notice new ones! I clicked on the link to see my article copied word for word. Even with my footer linking to my page. The site seems to be an autoblog just copying other content with lots of google adsense set up. Of course, no contact information and hidden whois info.

So I ask.. what should I do? Here are my thoughts:

1. Not care. Its a free back link
    2. Get my lawyer to do something as I have nothing better to do with my money?

Wondered what others experience was with this.

You said the article contains the resource box you put at the bottom, and that it contains the link?

As I understand it, that's one of the benefits that's SUPPOSED to happen with EzineArticles.com -- people can go there and use your material as long as they keep the resource box and links entact. Did your name appear as author of the article? Because they're also supposed to leave the title and author "By" line intact.

Go to EzineArticles.com, find the "For Publishers" box on the lefthand side, and click on the link "Terms of Service." That should clarify whether or not the blog that used your article has violated anything.

If you decide you don't WANT people to use your articles from EzineArticles.com, then you'll have to quit publishing them there. If someone has misused the article by calling it their own and taking out your links and resource box, that's a different matter.
    Generate more fake news.

Of course, it was a knee jerk reaction on my part. I see the TOS for publishers here where they lay out rules, one of them having the full signature box, which this blog does. There are a number of rules they must following including the following:

Agree to not include the rel=nofollow tag in your HREF statements.
    Checking the blog, its a nofollow link to my site. So it appears as though they are in violation of Ezines' TOS.

Google did notice the back link so that's nice!

if your name and the link at the post, i think it is a good thing for you, you know it is a way to recommend you.

http and a telephoto
    Many bloggers don't know that their site is set to nofollow by WordPress by default. A note in the comments may go a long way to making a possible friend
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Many bloggers don't know that their site is set to nofollow by WordPress by default.
    That's good info to know. Thanks!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

A note in the comments may go a long way to making a possible friend
    If it was a real site and it was relevant to my info, that would be fantastic. I would definitely leave a comment.

But it appears to be an autoblogger, just some blackhat stuff for adsense. Its all copied articles with adsense all over the site. No contact information anywhere and contact information is private in the who is directory. So I'm guessing the site won't be around for long. Or maybe auto sites like this make $$$ somehow?

gc,

I feel your pain. My articles are reprinted all over the web and many do not even leave the resource box in. It's a huge drag to try to chase down each one and get them to "comply." Most of the time, they do, at least, leave the author name there which helps ease the abuse.

I'm still not sure whether or not to continue adding articles. I fluctuate wildly between "back link love" and hating the abuser's so much, I can't stay happy. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Well, I wish I could change the title of my article so I don't look so foolish as its not stolen but allowed by Ezine. That's probably why I couldn't find much when googling the topic.

Yeah, the backlinks are nice. I read another downside is that the Ezine article will often outrank your own site. Any thoughts on that?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson
    I read another downside is that the Ezine article will often outrank your own site. Any thoughts on that?
    Absoluely true. If you write an article with the intent of submitting it both to ezine (or any other article site) and adding it to your own site - CHANGE IT

Did I mention change it?

Do one article for article sites (Ezine, etc) and a different version for your own site.

Remember all that stuff about duplicate content you learned in Affiliate Marketing 101? This is where you use it.

One version for backlinks and web juice, and a different version for your site.

Did I mention change it?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Well, I wish I could change the title of my article so I don't look so foolish as its not stolen but allowed by Ezine. That's probably why I couldn't find much when googling the topic.
    You can ask one of the mods to change it to something more appropriate if you want.

Yeah, the backlinks are nice. I read another downside is that the Ezine article will often outrank your own site. Any thoughts on that?
    that's another reason I fluctuate wildly about posting more article.s LOL - Sorry, wish I had *the* answer but I don't It's been discussed here at ABW before. You can try a search for "duplicate content & articles" which might get you to some of the threads and more insight.

As for the duplicate content issue, I think if you publish the article on your site first and it gets indexed by the SEs, you're good as having the "original" content. But if Ezinearticles outranks you on your own article, that's another situation to look at and decide which is working best for you at that time. Also good to remember is that your links are *live* at Ezinearticles and they rank well so that's a plus. Crazy making, huh?

An excellent post about article marketing on ABW is Article Marketing the Right Way where some of these issues are discussed.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Absoluely true. If you write an article with the intent of submitting it both to ezine (or any other article site) and adding it to your own site - CHANGE IT

Do one article for article sites (Ezine, etc) and a different version for your own site.

Remember all that stuff about duplicate content you learned in Affiliate Marketing 101? This is where you use it.

Wow, Hound. Kind of a DUH but I never do that and it makes a whole lotta sense. Thanks.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Wow, Hound. Kind of a DUH but I never do that and it makes a whole lotta sense. Thanks.
    That's what we're here for, ma'am. [Lone Ranger, c. 1958]

But seriously, I have often heard that first in gets the juice and copycats get the penalty, but I just do not really believe it. Better to be safe and not duplicate it elsewhere.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Did I mention change it?
    Great advice
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    gcarson, edited the thread title for you.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

gcarson, edited the thread title for you.
    Thank you. Now I don't look like it was my first day on the web!

And great tip on changing the article. I never thought about that. A little extra work but probably would be more than worth it.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    If it was a real site and it was relevant to my info, that would be fantastic. I would definitely leave a comment.

But it appears to be an autoblogger, just some blackhat stuff for adsense. Its all copied articles with adsense all over the site. No contact information anywhere and contact information is private in the who is directory. So I'm guessing the site won't be around for long. Or maybe auto sites like this make $$$ somehow?
    Hello gcarson as long as your named as the author in the resource box there is nothing you can do about it. (believe me I have tons of articles being used out there) You have agreed in the Tos of the article directory to that. But it is not necessarily bad.

You get exposure and your article is available to all visitors to the site who see it and- can pick it up as well and distribute it even more. Your stats on Ezinearticles show how popular your article is and how many times it was picked up. Lastly; it is building your brand name and credibility online.

Bottomline: an article that does not get viewed is totally useless and a waste of time and effort. I stopped worrying about it a long time ago and- I am an expert Author as a direct result.

This will make you feel better- you can do it too I get a real buzz at showing my friends that they can Google my name online- check it out

Google this: Philip Randall
    and/or this: Philip Randall Expert Author

I own both of these pages and my articles for "Philip Randall" are at numbers 3,4,5,6,7 and 8. in Google... here are the results for the competing pages from Google Results 1 - 10 of about 3,590,000 for Philip Randall.

I own the entire page for "Philip Randall Expert Author" my articles are listed 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10 on the first page of Google... the competing pages are: Results 1 - 10 of about 22,900 for Philip Randall Expert Author.

good writing... Aka Stratplayer1
    Last edited by Stratplayer1; March 25th, 2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: cool editing? lol

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread