Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Oriental Trading Company and Terry's Village launched today!
    Google Affiliate Network is pleased to announce the launch of Oriental Trading Company and Terry's Village! The program launched today Monday March 1. Linkshare links will shut down at the end of the day on March 1. Links are built so you are ready to go.

Oriental Trading Company

Terry's Village

Commission 5%
    All holiday banners
    Free Shipping on orders $49 or more
    Great client service!

We look forward to working with you! Please do not hesitate to contact us with ANY questions.

Thanks so much!

OrientalTrading-affiliates@google.com
    TerrysVillage-affiliates@google.com

0 day commission duration?
    Hi, not sure I understand ... how does 0 day commission duration work?

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

Session cookie duration means the publisher receives commission when a consumers clicks on your link and makes a purchase at that time. If they close their browser before they make a purchase the session has ended and the cookie has ended. With the type pf product Oriental Trading Co. and Tiger Village sells, most purchase take place within the session because more time to decide on the purchase isn't really necessary. More time would be spent on deciding whether to buy a larger price point item, like a computer. We hope you apply to both programs!

Thanks!

Jamie

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Do you offer any feeds? coupon, sales, ect.
    Manage Affiliate Links - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

WP Coupon - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Google Affiliate Network Moderator
    Hello,

Session cookie duration means the publisher receives commission when a consumers clicks on your link and makes a purchase at that time. If they close their browser before they make a purchase the session has ended and the cookie has ended. With the type pf product Oriental Trading Co. and Tiger Village sells, most purchase take place within the session because more time to decide on the purchase isn't really necessary. More time would be spent on deciding whether to buy a larger price point item, like a computer. We hope you apply to both programs!

Thanks!

Jamie
    That is garbage. I sell primarily small ticket household-type items, and I have for the past nine years. Over that period, on the reporting systems that allow that type of tracking, I have consistently seen more than 50% of my sales come on subsequent visits, not the original session.

0 day cookies amount to little more than "smart" merchants getting virtually free traffic.
    phil@abestweb.com | Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

0 day cookies amount to little more than "smart" merchants getting virtually free traffic.
    I agree - while *most* sales from my site are from the first session, after analyzing my "return days" data in ShareASale (an interesting tool if you haven't looked at it), I see where many other sales happen well over 1 or even 7 days and I resent cookie durations that are "session only." It's an arrogant assumption on the merchant's part that they are so good at converting traffic, we don't *need* any additional cookie duration.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

If you were a merchant, and session only applied to most purchases, why would'nt you extend the cookie length?

Nothing to lose, and more of a selling point, right?

It's super obvious the 2 posts above are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    .... "return days" data in ShareASale (an interesting tool if you haven't looked at it),
    Thanks Rexanne... looking at it right now!

Half of the stuff in the SAS control panel I don't know what it's for.

Interesting tool and wish the other networks had it too.

With the type pf product Oriental Trading Co. and Tiger Village sells, most purchase take place within the session because more time to decide on the purchase isn't really necessary. More time would be spent on deciding whether to buy a larger price point item, like a computer.
    Absolutely not true. I can tell that by looking at the non-commissionable sales in LS from Oriental Trading due to expired cookies. Oriental Trading in LS had a weird cookie of 0.18 I believe and I was getting these sales in my non-commish reports. So the point you make that people purchase same session and a longer cookie is not needed is bogus.
    I don't promote the merchants that have these ridiculous cookies. Lots of merchants that sell similar stuff with a much longer cookie

Lightbulb
    this is not the only session-based merchant announced by GAN lately. hope it's not a trend . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    this is not the only session-based merchant announced by GAN lately. hope it's not a trend . . .
    There was also no mention of the session based cookie in the announcement. I hope that was just an oversight.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Part of a network's responsibility (which none of them do a very good job with) is educating merchants on best practices. EVERYONE would benefit if networks would do a better job with this.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Part of a network's responsibility (which none of them do a very good job with) is educating merchants on best practices. EVERYONE would benefit if networks would do a better job with this.
    Assuming that the networks idea of "best practices" and ours are the same. Granted, the network stands to make less with a session-based cookie also, however it could be the difference between signing up that new merchant or not. They still collect monthly network fees and any other services that they can upsell.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Closed Thread