Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Earthquake made our days shorter?
    So I was listening to the local news tonight and they are claiming that the 8.8 Chile earthquake was so strong that it literally moved the entire earth about 3" resulting in our days actually being "shorter".

Just how exactly does one measure that? 3" in relation to the entire universe is a very small tolerance level.

Kind of odd to think about!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    Just how exactly does one measure that? 3" in relation to the entire universe is a very small tolerance level.
    They do it the same way the environmental scientist do to calculate "global warming". They make it up.

I don't think I would put too much credence in that report. The only way a day could be "shorter" is for the rotational velocity of the earth to speed up.

Imagine playing with a child's spinning top. A rather large one - get it spinning good and then give it a kick with your shoe. If anything, it will begin to wobble a little and that will cause it so slow down. And a more slowly spinning earth would result in a slightly "longer" day - or longer day and night cycle, that is. The difference would have to be measured in very tiny fractions of a nanosecond.

Our earth, just like that child's spinning top, really is slowing down (nothing to do with global warming - just the fact that things that spin will eventually slow). So every once in a while there is an adjustment to our "time" and time-keeping around the world. I believe that is done about every one hundred years - and the adjustment is one second. Not one second in the length of a day - one second in that length of one-hundred years or so.

DISCLAIMER: I did not take time to look any of that up. Just pulling some old trivia out of my head. (It was getting lonely in there. )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    They do it the same way the environmental scientist do to calculate "global warming". They make it up.
    Real easy to ridicule science you don't understand.

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says (From one of those real liberal media sites, Bloomberg Business News.)

And this, too.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says (From one of those real liberal media sites, Bloomberg Business News.)

And this, too.
    Thanks, AffiliateHound, for those links.

I agree that it's very easy to "blow off" or take verbal snipes at science we don't understand. It's even better to have someone around who can point us toward interesting stuff like that to help us understand.

Though I've not had much science, I'm an avid, enthusiastic self-read student of a lot of astrophysics, astronomy, and geology. Always helpful to get such clarification!
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    And it wasn't like they're saying the day shortened by minutes or even seconds it was -

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

And this, too.
    I tend to NOT ridicule science - but frequently do ridicule some folks who report on that science. OK, I must admit my "off the cuff" description was incorrect - I referenced nanoseconds instead of milliseconds. So if I were doing calculations I would be off by a factor of 1000. Geophysicist Gross said, "“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second)" My version would have been 1,260 billionths of a second.

At one point the reporter uses two references to contradict findings. 1) The ice skater effect - when a spinning skater pulls their arms in they speed up (an effect we got to witness just last week.) That was being used to illustrate that the earth was sped up, resulting in a longer day. 2) A later reference was that Santa Maria island may have raised six feet. That means the island was moved up, farther from the center of the earth. Sooo, wouldn't that be akin to the "ice skater" moving their arms farther away from their body - consequently slowing the spin?

Who knows for sure. That article evidently gave the writer something with which to earn a salary. It is a shame he didn't quite understand the details of what he was reporting.

Sorry for the verbosity...but, as I said - it's not that the scientists are wrong (although sometimes they may be), it is often the interpretation of and subsequent reporting of their findings that can be problematic.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

(Bloomberg)... a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.
    Since NASA is the leading U.S. government agency pushing the global warming agenda I tend to look at anything they say with skepticism. Guess I've read too much bs from them to trust them anymore.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    ...but, as I said - it's not that the scientists are wrong (although sometimes they may be), it is often the interpretation of and subsequent reporting of their findings that can be problematic.
    This is not limited to the reporting of scientific matters, but it is just as true in other areas of journalism, especially in the reporting of politics and legal matters. I would say that generally, the only area where the reporters as a matter of course, are actually well schooled in the field they cover, is sports.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I think 3" is quite a significant number...cant you see that 2 degrees Celsius increase in world temperature melts numerous icebergs in the arctic and Antarctica?

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    On top of all this doesn't then also mean the effects of gravity will be increased as the earth will be spinning faster?

I wondered why it was so hard to get out of bed this morning

Quote Originally Posted by ciwandan35
    I think 3" is quite a significant number...cant you see that 2 degrees Celsius increase in world temperature melts numerous icebergs in the arctic and Antarctica?
    I don't believe the two are comparable.

The Earth's meridional circumference is about 25,000 miles. A 3" axis shift on a sphere of that size would be akin to a temperate change of around .000002º C.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    And it wasn't like they're saying the day shortened by minutes or even seconds it was -

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”
    Would have been nice if the newscaster had shared these facts. 1.26 microseconds just really doesn't have a "lead story on the evening news" impact.

Sure would have been even nicer if the day had gotten longer LOL I could always use more time .

And who knew we had so many budding scientists here at ABW - you all sure impress me!

Likewise, it's also real easy to buy into this very popular and profitable man-made global warming theory.

Global Warming Hoax
    THE GLOBAL WARMING HOAX

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Gosh, who to believe? NASA? Seymour?

Sorry Seymour, I think all those science PhDs at NASA probably know more about science than you learned in high school. I gotta go with them on the climate change thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Gosh, who to believe? NASA? Seymour?

Sorry Seymour, I think all those science PhDs at NASA probably know more about science than you learned in high school. I gotta go with them on the climate change thing.

There are scientist out there that claim this global epidemic disaster is happening, but at the same time there are scientist out there that claim the data used to support such a theory is flawed. You can certainly believe what you choose to believe just as I can choose to believe what I believe.

I suppose these are the same "scientist" that teach evolution, a theory contrived by Darwin that has never been proved scientifically, in public schools. Sorry, but I did not evolve from bacteria nor did I descend from a monkey.

You'all be nice please.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks for explaining that, Seymour. I thought we were discussing science. Apparently you're discussing religion.

Oh Boy! Here we go ... This one's gonna require about a triple serving of ...

Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Thanks for explaining that, Seymour. I thought we were discussing science. Apparently you're discussing religion.
    Not really. I am just making the point that I am not in the habit of trusting everything that comes out of a scientists' mouth.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I suppose these are the same "scientist" that teach evolution, a theory contrived by Darwin that has never been proved scientifically, in public schools. Sorry, but I did not evolve from bacteria nor did I descend from a monkey.

Wow, this belongs on an affiliate forum for sure.

Keep your religious beliefs to yourself

Seymour: Stop it. Immediately.

Everyone, go put up some links.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'd be concerned about an 8 cm shift in the Earth if I believed in the butterfly effect. :-)

My apologies. Now that I think about it, the days are getting shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Seymour: Stop it. Immediately.

Everyone, go put up some links.
    I thought BB said to be nice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast