Thread: Do Text Alerts Scare You?

Question Do Text Alerts Scare You?
    I want to know if affiliates are ready to opt-in to a mobile newsletter to learn about the affiliate program they have joined.

When you see an ad to subscribe to a mobile newsletter by texting a keyword to a shortcode like 41411, what do you think? Are you concerned it's going to become spam on your phone? Do you think it's too intrusive? What prevents you from subscribing?

Please share your thoughts. This leads to the next question of what is the future of mobile in affiliate marketing?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

I'm one of those odd people who doesn't text, so every time I get one it costs me money. Not much granted but I don't like paying for someone else sending me a txt.

I much prefer email, it's more permanent and I can view it on the "big screen".

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Personally when I get a text, unless it is from a friend I just delete it without reading, even if it is something I made a decision to sign up for some time back. Messages just clutter up the ease of finding stuff on my phone and don't save messages for later reference, I may be in the minority on that front

I prefer email, I can at least file it for future reference if I am busy when it arrives.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Not me
    I don't like opting in to short codes.

I use to work for T-mobile, where people would always complain about extra "mobile alert" charges because their kid or w/e sent a text to a short code.

So I am a little weary of the $9.99 that MIGHT show up on my cell phone bill. I have unlimited texting, so that's the the problem.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    i don't give out my cell phone # to too many people so i am picky about who i share it with. i've opted in to a few short codes for places we eat at a lot and such, but not many.

i like email too as it is more permanent. most cell phones can't hold that much data so if it were something important in your text, it would be good to have an email edition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaMarketer
    So I am a little weary of the $9.99 that MIGHT show up on my cell phone bill. I have unlimited texting, so that's the the problem.
    If you are opting into a text group and you have unlimited texting on your plan, it would be free to receive the updates. Or am I missing something, David?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    i don't give out my cell phone # to too many people so i am picky about who i share it with. i've opted in to a few short codes for places we eat at a lot and such, but not many.

i like email too as it is more permanent. most cell phones can't hold that much data so if it were something important in your text, it would be good to have an email edition as well.
    Bonnie, it's good to hear you are using short codes for local business. That's where the growth is as I see it.

I envision any 160-character mobile alerts I send out as a sneak peak to the email newsletter and tips about mobile marketing as I learn them. An insider's club to compliment all other communication methods. But not to be abused. That's why I think one text alert a week is the way to go.
    Greg Hoffman

Not scary, intrusive. I think I would even find the "sneak peek" annoying, besides Twitter is a much better medium for that and it allows ME to decide how, when and where I'll receive the "sneak peek" with the actual message going to e-mail.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If you are opting into a text group and you have unlimited texting on your plan, it would be free to receive the updates.
    Since I rarely text I told ATT to remove my text option. I got 2 messages from the same person that just said "Hey" and had to pay for both. There is no blacklist.

I have email on my iPhone and that's all I need for now. Might change someday though.

I believe that most affiliates check their emails on such a regular basis that texting would simply be redundant.

I can't imagine many affiliates opting in to such a service, but I guess I could be wrong.

I think the typical demographic of affiliate marketers is quite a bit older than the "texting" demographic. There are some younger people in affiliate marketing, but mostly it seems to be dominated by people in their 30s and 40s. Many of us aren't even into Twitter that much.

I'm sure some would like texts, but count me in the "I have the feature disabled and don't like or want them" group. email is my preferred communication medium. (Other than having messages branded onto steaks, which nobody seems willing to do.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen
    I believe that most affiliates check their emails on such a regular basis that texting would simply be redundant.
    With the amount of emails most affiliates get, I doubt they are checking as often as we think, especially if our email gets thrown into bulk folders. I see your point about redundancy, that's why I think the alert should be something extra and timely, above and beyond the core content of a newsletter.
    Greg Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting
    With the amount of emails most affiliates get, I doubt they are checking as often as we think, especially if our email gets thrown into bulk folders.
    You could well be right that many affiliates are not diligent about checking their emails, however, I suspect that the more successful ones are quite on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think the typical demographic of affiliate marketers is quite a bit older than the "texting" demographic. There are some younger people in affiliate marketing, but mostly it seems to be dominated by people in their 30s and 40s. Many of us aren't even into Twitter that much.

I'm sure some would like texts, but count me in the "I have the feature disabled and don't like or want them" group. email is my preferred communication medium. (Other than having messages branded onto steaks, which nobody seems willing to do.)
    30s and 40s? Well, Jill is almost there and I am slightly beyond "there."

For our business concerns you can put me into the same category as Michael. Jill willingly handles all of the the twitter, facebook and text responsibilities.

I do use texting for a few contacts when email or voice just doesn't work as well. Texting works better on "phones" than does email because it is a bit easier to respond - and it doesn't "interrupt" as does a ringing phone.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

With the amount of emails most affiliates get, I doubt they are checking as often as we think, especially if our email gets thrown into bulk folders.
    I doubt if you'll have any better luck reaching them through texting. If they do opt in, it'll just be one more place for them to not read your message.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

...I doubt they are checking as often as we think, especially if our email gets thrown into bulk folders. ...
    Okay, but consider this: if affiliates are throwing merchant/network/AM communications into bulk folders and not keeping up, there's a reason for that - and I don't think trying to get them to sign up for text alerts will solve it. There's a larger problem: why aren't they reading their emails?

I would never sign up for a text message alert because like some others, I don't have a texting plan. I refuse to bow to the extortion of the phone companies... I can pay $30 a month for unlimited data usage on my iPhone, gigabytes at a time, but it's $20 a month for unlimited texting, which might amount to a few megs all added up? Really? Forget it. It's highway robbery.

Besides, I can't think of too many things you can put in a short text message that wouldn't be better off put in an email.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Yes, you're missing something. That something being that I am always afraid
    of getting hidden charges when opting into short code message alerts, even
    though it's unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Twitter is a much better medium for that and it allows ME to decide how, when and where I'll receive the "sneak peek" with the actual message going to e-mail.

-rematt
    I agree. On Twitter, one can get tweets from specified users straight to text (if they, for instance, don't have a smartphone - like myself)

You could create a dedicated twitter account just for these sneek peeks. Then we can sub to that acct or not.

Great feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you everyone.
    Greg Hoffman

Well Greg,

I gave in to peer pressure and attempted to subscribe to that short code. However, my mom & pop cell carrier network does not work with short codes. I even had an IM chat with their support desk to no avail.

I do text and have unlimited texting. However, I do not keep my cell phone next to me. So most of my friends email me because they know that I check my email more than my phone. I probably would not sign up for a texting service for business purposes because it is truly the only thing I have left that is personal. If I get a text message, it is usually a friend trying to get in touch with me that day for a specific purpose. Or to check in on me while I am at a conference or on vacation. I fear that if I started getting a lot of other texts, those would get lost in the shuffle (like emails do). Twitter Direct Messages are an exception. I find those easier to keep track of because they come to my phone AND my email.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Thumbs up
    I learned from this thread, thank you all for contributing. I considered doing mobile affiliate newsletters to all my clients but I will only set it up for those enrolled in the TextMarks program in ShareASale. They will also be getting a monthly html newsletter but I feel it's important to show affiliates how the TextMarks system works.

I'm also using it for Greg Hoffman Consulting but I have to bribe people to join until it becomes more widely accepted. Some of my clients are launching non-affiliate mobile marketing campaigns to promote their products so that will be interesting to manage and see the progress of this channel.
    Greg Hoffman

23. Newsletter Signup