Hi all....

Im considering making a site geared towards coupons i know there are some pretty succesful people in here who have a site or sites... doing this.. my questions are this

Are the coupons just monthly promotions/sales that merchants release on certain products? and your keepin shoppers uptodate on the monthly or weekly sales?

are they like discounts of stuff online?

how do you obtain the coupons before promoting the products?

Are there specific merchants I can sign up with that deal with coupons?

please help me understand the concept of the coupon malls i see...

and also

how in earth sites like 24hrmall manage to get approved for so many affiliate programs... i find a lot of affilite merchants are very picky where there ads appear and who thtere along side..

thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Why bother with coupons?

Just optimize your sites to be 'merchant x trademark coupons' and be done with it.

Guaranteed you'll be as good as 98% of all other coupon sites out there.

ABW Ambassador
    Couponers are evil, don't be evil

Couponers are evil, don't be evil There not Evil, or maybe they are????

ABW Ambassador
    Connie Hey newbie, you wanna be a couponer?

Uh, yeah, yeah.

Come with me, let Connie show you the way, coupons are good

I've got a coupon for six dollars and sixty-six cents. It's good for any merchant as long as you wear a stamp on your head.

Very funny trustno1.
    coupons rock if you know how to use them correctly. or maybe there Evil like EcomCity points out. Well then I guess I'm Evil

Trust, you are so funny.
    Do you know how many people pm, email me asking how they too can be a successful couponer.
    Well, gee, let me tell you all my secrets and strategies so you too can become a successful couponer and take sales away from me.

I already have several relatives that won't speak to me because I won't train them in to do the same thing I do.

I work 18 hours a day on my site and site related things. I have a family to raise. I don't have time to help everyone become a successful couponer.
    The best way to do it is learn as you go like I did. Make mistakes and learn from them. Read forums and get as much information as you can. But don't expect people to give away their secrets and strategies.

spoken like a true couponer Connie .........

PSSSST... tell me how to do it Connie I won't tell
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

And just how do true couponers speak Gordon? Huh, Huh, whaddaya mean by that? Huh? Huh?

I thought it was datafeeders that were the evil wanks...

ABW Ambassador
    Such a happy ABW family

I'm a closet couponer. Use 'em discreetly.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I take my hat off while fellow couponers lay a wreath on the graves of of the dead and gone competitors while taps plays in the background. Meanwhile the drunken BHO's are snickering and having a tailgate party from the memorial parking lot.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I would agree with you connie, but lets face it probably 97% of peolpe never end up taking good information and doing anything with it anyway... lol

I really just want to grasp 2 things about it all as ive seen from your site..

1. Where in earth do you get yours from, do you get them from other cooupon sites.... easiest way i can see.

2. Are your affiliate links just normal affiliate links and all your doing is providing the code for them when they get there on that item..?

3. I just need a manual entitled... THE BASICS ( NOT THE SECRETS) of Creating a Coupon Site.

LOL..... someone throw me a line and provide at least the basics...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    Trust, you are so funny.
    Do you know how many people pm, email me asking how they too can be a successful couponer.
    Well, gee, let me tell you all my secrets and strategies so you too can become a successful couponer and take sales away from me.

I already have several relatives that won't speak to me because I won't train them in to do the same thing I do.

I work 18 hours a day on my site and site related things. I have a family to raise. I don't have time to help everyone become a successful couponer.
    The best way to do it is learn as you go like I did. Make mistakes and learn from them. Read forums and get as much information as you can. But don't expect people to give away their secrets and strategies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I am not really sure what you mean by your post. Too jumbled to quite understand your point you are making.

LastHope,
    You cannot rely on getting your coupons from other coupon sites. Many times the information is incorrect and the coupons don't work or aren't accurate. You would have to test each and every coupon code to verify it works, and that is really time consuming.

There are many sources of coupon codes. Many come from the merchants directly in one way or another.

By asking where I get my coupons from is asking for secrets...

It took me almost a year to start making money at this when I started, and I wasn't even trying, it just happened by accident. And the number of coupon sites out there then you could count on both hands. Now there are thousands of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you know how many people pm, email me asking how they too can be a successful couponer.
    Well, gee, let me tell you all my secrets and strategies so you too can become a successful couponer and take sales away from me....

I work 18 hours a day on my site and site related things.... . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also get mail like this daily. I think the problem is people think you just hang up a site and the money starts rolling in. I actually had to work two years before I was in the black, and also work many long hours every day, weekends and holidays included. Connie really doesn't have to worry about anyone (not running a parasite) stealing her customers, because she has an excellent site, which has proven its reliability for years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I actually had to work two years before I was in the black, and also work many long hours every day, weekends and holidays included <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought we weren't going to give away any secrets...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Connie I was just being poetic. Maybe I should have fit in the Amber fields of Grain and the Green-Green Clovers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Actually, Connie did give the secret to a successful coupon site:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    I work 18 hours a day on my site... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    SomethingStore.com - Surprise and Delight!

Oh, lansing, you have the secret. You have to WORK to be successful. Cats out of the bag.

everyone knows you got to work.. shoot I do it fulltime from home in other niches... and have had to work my ass off..

The only negative I can see with coupon sites is, tracking when they all expire and taking them down, I think this could be very very time consuming, compared to say just offering them a link to a merhant.

Like if your entire site connie is coupons... and how many pages do you have like maybe 1000.... wouldyou not have to have a huge list of who your dealing with.. when you have posted coupons. where and when they expire and when to take down...

Unless of course you have some kind of automated cart, which i notice you site is setup using what look like a cart..... mind you great job on layouts, its very simple, and direct...

I have it automated, using php and mysql...coupons come and go when I tell them to.

After 2 years of trying to do it manually I gave up and automated it.

Hi connie, thanks for that.. yeah i noticed yourself and another guy who runs a coupon site does the same... He uses html on the categories on the left but the results are displayed in php pages in a frame....

so the only job you have then is finding them, and inputtin them all in, including coupon numbers and then setting an expiry date of when the offer ends, so that after that date, it removes itsself from your results page... i guess..

Like its not a datafeed is it?

No, it is not a datafeed. And no, that is not all there is to it, that is just a simple way to explain the basics. There is a lot more involved.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread