How do you check your website traffic.
    I'm kind stuck on this, I thought it would be in the cpanel but couldn't find anything. Signed up for google analytics but I found it to be extremely complicated. How do you guys check your stats & traffic, do you use a certain software or site? Is there a simple way to do this? btw, my site is located at (removed link) and I used wordpress.
    Last edited by loxly; March 3rd, 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: edited out link drop - not needed for conversation

Cool
    google analytics will come in handy after a while. after it has built a history and after you've had time to get used to it.

you can also add the one from statcounter dot com to each page and see where your visitors went through the pages.

http and a telephoto
    Wordpress has a stats plugin also that may be easier to understand than G analytics until you get more comfortable with it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

In CPanel you "should" have an icon for AWStats, which is a fairly robust stats package - easy and free.

If it is not there you may need give your host a wake-up call - because it is included in normal Cpanel installs (which is nothing you should have to worry about).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I use a WordPress plugin on all my sites that gives me some pretty decent "at-a-glance" sort of stats. Easy to set up and easy to see what's going on. It's called StatPress Reloaded. You can install it from within your WP plugins dashboard.

I also have a free Statcounter.com account and put their code in the footer of my wp sites after setting up a project for the site. It's a bit more complicated to set up but gives good info about keywords, entry and exit points on the site, etc.

BTW -- Even though statcounter.com has a WP plugin, it's really half-defective. I discovered reading on the users forum at statcounter.com that some folks were not getting all the stat reporting with that plugin which they should be getting. So I don't use that statcounter.com plugin, preferring to paste the code into the footer file above the </body> tag.
    Last edited by writerguy; March 3rd, 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I really like Google Analytics although I know it slows down page loads some. It may look complicated, but most of what you need is just a click away. I believe there are some plugins that will integrate to show GA data in a simpler way. Have you done a plugin search at wordpress.org for alternatives?

Thanks for all the responses, I think I'll try out some of your suggestions, the wordpress plugin sounds nice, I just need a general view of the traffic, I'll probably try Google Analytics later when I get used to it a bit.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Awstats has been collecting data for you. Even if you get something else working it will take time to collect data.

You should find it in your cpanel. Maybe look through your hosts help files or email them.

Actually I figured out that I had to install Awstats first, that's why it wasn't working for me. I guess theres no real way of checking my old stats now.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaedenKy
    Actually I figured out that I had to install Awstats first, that's why it wasn't working for me. I guess theres no real way of checking my old stats now.
    That's weird. I'd be interested in knowing what hosting company that is, and what else they fail to provide as a default, or at all.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I've never heard of hosting that didn't include awstats. Why would a host not include it? That makes no sense.

John

I have a WP Site and have traffic sort of monitored a few ways. Google Analytics, Google Adsense (right now I have some sort of Adsense on each page so it tracks page impressions), Wassap (WP Plugin) and WP Stats. All give different hits / page views. Any thoughts on which you have experienced as most accurate? I've never really checked awstats but from the sounds of it that could be the most accurate?

Both AW and Webalizer are standard in shared hosting cPanel installations. If you don't see them in your cPanel, a quick support ticket to your host should get that fixed easily.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

I love Woopra! It's free as long as you have less than 30000 uniques (per month I think?). I have mine set so that it creates a popup everytime someone is on my site. Great real time analytics.
    Dr. Marie runs an [URL="http://www.askavetquestion.com"]online vet advice[/URL] site which offers [COLOR=RED]25% commission[/COLOR] to all affiliates.

I use statcounter and google analytics

statcounter is immediate to understand and I've been using it for a very long time, it's excellent and it's free

analytics has more advanced functionalities but it's more complicated ( at least if you have always used another tracking like myself - I was already used to statcounter when I tried GA for the first time )

ABW Ambassador
    I like Google Analytics. It is easy to integrate and very imformative.

Statcounter is everything to me.. I would be lost without it.

Google Analytics (while very advanced) doesn't give me the immediate rush of Statcounter, and AW & Webalyzer count your own self as a visitor.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread