ABW Ambassador
    Example.com Different From Exämple.com
    Learned something new today. Was playing around with finding domain names and tried a big germanword.com. It was available and I was happy and about to pull the trigger then realized that

Example.com is different from Exämple.com

where example.com would be available but exämple.com was already taken. Those 2 dots above the a are an umlaut. GoDaddy wouldn't even take exämple.com, says invalid characters. And since it's a german word, you would want the one with the umlaut because for this word, the one without the umlaut only had 1000 exact match searches, while the one with, the one people would be searching for, had a few million exact.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Is there a registrar in Germany you could buy it from? It's an interesting dilemma either way.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Using the umlaut in domain names hasn't been available for long yet. Instead of the umlaut, Germans use vowel+e, i.e. ueber instead of über, schoen instead of schön, etc. So maybe look to see if the UE/AE/OE version (whichever vowel it is) is available. Although I doubt it...

Google treats SCHOEN and SCHÖN exactly the same way. If you type schoen into google, you get (or I do, anyways) SCHÖN KLINIK, www.schoen-klinik.de and some links about a soccer player named Schön (funny, cause "schön" means pretty, haha).

example.com as opposed to exämple.com/exaemple.com are two completely different words. There is, for example, the word "schon" without umlaut, and that means "already". So I don't think example.com is a great deal, especially as the Germans are used to using the .de TLD.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the reply. I think I might stay away from the uplauts, it gets very complicated

Plus I guess if it was a major German term, targeting the German market, I would want the .de instead of the .com anyway. Wasn't sure if there were any popular german word .com over there.

And it looks like I can register .de at GoDaddy, thought it was restricted to those living there only.

It doesn't even take words with umlauts if I wanted too, get some error.

Indeed, special characters are not really supported for domain names, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Indeed, special characters are not really supported for domain names, yet.
    actually IDN (internationalized domain names) have been available for many languages since as early as 2001. However if you are meaning that they are not supported by the browsers than you are for the most part correct. Older versions of IE dont support them .. I believe only the last one or two releases started to support them

by the way, i am using your FF plugin

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread