View Poll Results: Favorite Domain Name Registrars (You Can Pick More Than 1)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go Daddy

33 42.31%
  • eNom

5 6.41%
  • Tucows

0 0%
  • Network Solutions

1 1.28%
  • 1&1 Internet AG (a.k.a. Schlund.de)

4 5.13%
  • Melbourne IT (a.k.a INWW.com)

0 0%
  • Wild West Domains (reseller brand of Go Daddy)

2 2.56%
  • PublicDomainRegistry.com (a.k.a. ResellerClub and Directi)

0 0%
  • Register.com

1 1.28%
  • Moniker Online Services

3 3.85%
  • Xin Net Corp

0 0%
  • Key-Systems GmbH (a.k.a. DomainDiscount24)

0 0%
  • OnlineNIC, Inc.

0 0%
  • Cronon AG

0 0%
  • Dotster

3 3.85%
  • FAST DOMAIN INC

0 0%
  • Fabulous.com Pty Ltd

1 1.28%
  • OVH

0 0%
  • DomainDiscover

0 0%
  • Intercosmos Media

0 0%
  • GMO Internet, Inc.

0 0%
  • PSI-USA, Inc.

0 0%
  • HiChina Web Solutions ltd.

0 0%
  • ABOVE, INC.

0 0%
  • Ascio Technologies, Inc. - Denmark

0 0%
  • Name.com

5 6.41%
  • Gandi.net

1 1.28%
  • MyDomain, Inc.

1 1.28%
  • joker.com

0 0%
  • DreamHost.com

1 1.28%
  • NameCheap

18 23.08%
  • Netfirms

0 0%
  • Yahoo

1 1.28%
  • Other

9 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Favorite Domain Name Registrars
    Because I'm curious, poll cometh.

Votes are private, multiple choices allowed. I was just going to pick the ones I knew about but I wanted to make sure I got most of them so I used the list I got from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ain_registrars

Those are the top 30, in order.

In the replies here, you can also let people know which ones you don't like, have had problems with etc.

Right now I have most of them at GoDaddy and probably will get most of them there in the future. They're the biggest, never had a problem yet, pretty cheap (use coupons too), easy to push a domain to another account there etc.

Was wondering if anybody uses Moniker to register domains? There is one domain I'm looking at where the buyer wants to push it to another Moniker account. So I just got an account today and noticed they have some nice prices there as well.

I think I have one at Domain Discover and Tucows. Probably will let them expire or move them over to GoDaddy. I just like having everything in one place, try to stay organized.
    Last edited by Trust; March 4th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

I voted for my two favorites, eNom and Monker, where I have the bulk of our domains. I still have a few domains scattered among GoDaddy, Dotster, Fab and Netsol (bought a 4-figure resale domain there last summer, but will eventually move it to Moniker). I have had experience with (and likely still have accounts) with about a dozen other registrars, including a couple you don't have listed.

Why so many accounts? Back in the days when I was buying (and selling) some cool names at cool prices, sales would be easily be completed by "pushing" from one account to another within the same registrar. Then I would eventually transfer them out when they came up for renewal, splitting between eNom and Moniker for security and low pricing.

Having had some bad experiences, I will never again use, 1&1, Register, and Dotster. YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    voted for godaddy

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    What about Namecheap?

5. Thanks From:

http and a telephoto
    I hate GoDaddy if you need to move a domain away from them. I have been using Enom forever. The prices aren't always great, but I can manage the domains the way I am used to and know what the costs will be.

I'm not a fan of their hosting either
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    What about Namecheap?
    They didn't make the top 30 list, according to that one page I linked too but I added them as a choice so you can vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    What about Namecheap?
    Yeah, NameCheap is another that is fairly popular among domainers. I still have eight domains there. I think they are still a major reseller of eNom.

BTW, you can easily become "your own registrar" (sort of) by becoming a reseller for eNom or GoDaddy.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

ABW Ambassador
    Also added Yahoo and Netfirms.

If you know any other popular ones I left out, let me know, I'll put em' up.

I like 1&1 as a registrar
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Also added Yahoo and Netfirms.

If you know any other popular ones I left out, let me know, I'll put em' up.
    Oh, yeah, forgot about Yahoo Domains. I would never, NEVER buy a domain there.

@Trust. If you are becoming a collector, in addition to a developer, I would recommend having two registrars with whom you feel comfortable and splitting your names up. One of those "having more than one basket" things.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I used to host with crystaltech.com who registered all domains with Melbourne IT (a.k.a INWW.com) . They are located in Australia which, I am not sure if it's such a good idea to be wtih a company in another country if you ever got in a domain name fight. Also, being almost a day ahead of us, if you're slow to respond to the renewal notices, they renew on Australia time, not Arizona time (or whereever you are). I almost lost a domain that way.

They also do not have a US phone number so I had to figure out how to call internationally on my cell phone to resolve an issue without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Moving from them was very easy and efficient.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    dynadot has a nice price on .tv domains right now, so I kinda like them. namepros has an active godaddy coupon thread where you can always save some on regs and some renewals...
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Oh, yeah, forgot about Yahoo Domains. I would never, NEVER buy a domain there.

@Trust. If you are becoming a collector, in addition to a developer, I would recommend having two registrars with whom you feel comfortable and splitting your names up. One of those "having more than one basket" things.
    Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of what you do -

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Why so many accounts? Back in the days when I was buying (and selling) some cool names at cool prices, sales would be easily be completed by "pushing" from one account to another within the same registrar. Then I would eventually transfer them out when they came up for renewal, splitting between eNom and Moniker for security and low pricing.
    Like I mentioned, I signed up with Moniker today because one domain I'm looking at, the seller wants to push it thru them. I've mainly known them for auctions and such but they also have good prices as well, so looking at that one.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    dynadot has a nice price on .tv domains right now, so I kinda like them. namepros has an active godaddy coupon thread where you can always save some on regs and some renewals...
    Love the godaddy coupons. I used TWEET5 last week and got some .com's for $3.99 and some 30% off ones also.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    ......Like I mentioned, I signed up with Moniker today because one domain I'm looking at, the seller wants to push it thru them. I've mainly known them for auctions and such but they also have good prices as well, so looking at that one.......
    They also have a good rep for damain security. That's why I originally signed up with them several years back. They also gave me $6.99 pricing when I asked for it (of course the pricing has increased a bit since then).

They were/are into auctions - which is another revenue avenue that not everyone is good at. They had a live domain auction at the Affiliate Summit in Miami (my first AffSum) and I actually bid on and won a domain. Conversely, Bob Parsons at GoDaddy is into merchandising - and does a wonderful job with that - growing his company enormously. (I just get a bit annoyed with the "constant" and blatant up-selling.) I don't think you'd go wrong using those two companies as you main domain repositories.

I use Inmotion hosting for my needs. No issues.. but I probably wouldn't know any better?

I had my first domain with 1&1 because I didn't know better.

When I did, I just kept the domains there because I like to also have all the domains in one place. I am meaning to move them to another place but haven't had the time. Having said that, I just purchased another domain through them last night .

I haven't had problems at all with 1&1 but I have heard horror stories. However, don't use their hosting so maybe that is where the complaints stem from. The only negative I would say is that I would like to pay for certain established domains e.g. in 5 year chunks instead of year by year.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I use $8.75 Domains, which used to be called ABestWeb Discount Domain Registration.

Never had any type of a problem with them.

I used to use 000Domains and never had a problem with them either, but when I started with them, they were dirt cheap, but then their prices started going up and kept going up. They are now $14.95/yr versus $8.75/yr at 8.75Domains. Also, at 8.75Domains, for the past few weeks they've had a special - you can add private registration for an additional $1.95 for the first year.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; March 4th, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Name.com is pretty good, they put out coupons every month, too. Their private registration is included with the domain reg., something you have to pay extra for at GoDaddy. I have domains sprinkled across One.com, GoDaddy, Name.com, 1und1 and all-inkl.com.

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin View Post
    Name.com is pretty good, they put out coupons every month, too. Their private registration is included with the domain reg., something you have to pay extra for at GoDaddy. I have domains sprinkled across One.com, GoDaddy, Name.com, 1und1 and all-inkl.com.
    I too love Name.com. I have some domains with GoDaddy, but because I hate for my information to be public for everyone to see, I tend to use Name. Just because I'm the type of person who's big on privacy.

for those interested here is a website that rates domain registars based on user generated reviews:

http://www.registrarjudge.com

I personally prefer Namecheap (Easy and Simple managing interface)
    Have few domains on Godaddy but will be moving them soon...

23. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I like GoDaddy, the prices are good and have never had a problem. But I have some domains scattered around with other registrars.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Don't know how I missed this thread earlier.

I voted for "Other."

I moved all my domains a couple of years ago from GoDaddy to what was until recently ABestWeb domains -- yes, I've mentioned this in a couple of posts over the last few years. There is/was a domain registrar that Haiko started right here at ABW.

The name has changed now and it's "$8.75 Domains." Quick responses to any issues I've ever had (which have been few to none). Easy and quick to get a domain transferred either to them or away from them.

Interface is very similar to GoDaddy, or at least used to be. May even be GoDaddy resellers, I dunno.
    Generate more fake news.

Namecheap for me. They give you 1 year free whoisguard
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

27. Thanks From:

both Namecheap and name.com are great.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast