If you want something done right, do it yourself!
    I'm a programmer, but I'm a programmer with very little time for my own personal/AM projects. I've started projects only to find I don't have the time or desire to finish them. So, I've bought scripts here and there, but they always end up lacking something.

Finally, I just bit the bullet and spent all my free time in the last few weeks revamping and coding exactly what I wanted for one of my bigger sites. It hasn't gone live yet and replaced the old stuff, as I'm still putting a few final touches on it and massaging some data, but I gotta tell you it feels great to accomplish it. I've automated a major portion of the work on the site, created a back end admin panel to update the site online, cut down significantly on the amount of manual work required to keep it fresh, and I'm working on some social features. Now, I can focus on adding fresh, original content and more valuable features for my customers.

Every single bit of code that runs the site, every period and semi-colon, was all written by me.

Woo hoo!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Always feels good when you can do something yourself, well done.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I've been doing this crap for 13 years now and everyone thinks I must be a code genius...

NOT!

I still use FP 2003.

Whodathunk?

I would be proud of doing my own stuff.

CAN'T!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    Awesome! It feels great to do something like that and know it was "all you"

The proof will be in the puddin'... or rather, the sales.

I even programmed my own rss feed which I'll be feeding into twitter.

I'm really looking forward to starting to promoting this site again. It has languished for a bit. I'm also looking forward to having time to write content. I've only had time to write 2 or 3 articles in several weeks.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    The proof will be in the puddin'... or rather, the sales.

I even programmed my own rss feed which I'll be feeding into twitter.

I'm really looking forward to starting to promoting this site again. It has languished for a bit. I'm also looking forward to having time to write content. I've only had time to write 2 or 3 articles in several weeks.

That's the problem w/ new sites.

I own some KILLER urls and have started some good sites over the Summer last year..

They just lack what my main sites are growing from.

ALL PPC stuff.

No glamour.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Way to go! Let us know how it works when it goes live. Maybe you could sell it

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    Way to go! Let us know how it works when it goes live. Maybe you could sell it
    Nah, not at this point. I get attached to some of my domains, especially if they're making me money. I've been offered four figures for domains before, but I've kept them to bring in commissions rather than a quick buck. The ones I'm not real attached to, I'll sell. I'm in the process of doing that right now, paring down a bit.

It truely feels amazing when one does something themselves...... be sure to let us know when the site is up..

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy

I still use FP 2003.

........!
    I only stopped using FP2003 4 weeks ago now using Adobe Dreamweaver CS4!!! I trying to use CSS on my new sites so DW is much better for CSS as well DW will let me work on include files with out having to open each file related to the page.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I get attached to some of my domains, especially if they're making me money.
    Word.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Meadowmuffin, you are one smart cookie! WTG! All that you describe in pretty impressive!

I also agree about getting attached to some sites. I also had been approached by someone to sell my site but having worked so hard on my first real affiliate site, it's hard to let go of this baby. Of course my husband thought otherwise, seeing dollar $igns in his eyes and thinking that will get me away from the computer finally

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Meadowmuffin, you are one smart cookie! WTG! All that you describe in pretty impressive!

I also agree about getting attached to some sites. I also had been approached by someone to sell my site but having worked so hard on my first real affiliate site, it's hard to let go of this baby. Of course my husband thought otherwise, seeing dollar $igns in his eyes and thinking that will get me away from the computer finally

NO BS.

I got offered $3,000,000 for my SR site last year and after two months of them wanting to know all of the dirty details of everything of my life, I ran....

People don't think we work, 'cause we sit behind this darned pooter and the checks come in the mail...

And ya can't tell your hubby that you are smarter than he is, 'cause you figured out a way to make a great living and can sleep until 2 in the afternoon..

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    You know, before I read this thread, I was all excited that I wrote my own RSS feed for our new podcast on iTunes. For me, that was a pretty big accomplishment

But I am sure that what you did was about 10X more advanced than that.

meadowmufn, congrats on the success. I know how good it feels when I do a banner quickly for an affiliate instead of waiting a week for a graphic designer who leaves out the basics.

Please let us know how the "pudding" turns out
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

It should go live this weekend. It would've gone live earlier this week, but I got sidetracked by taxes. There are still a few tweaks I'd like to give it, but I'm thinking I'll just push what's done out and work on a development version to work out the rest of the kinks.

It really feels good to get back to programming. That's what I did for the first 6 years of my career. My current day j*b is in testing, trying to break what other people have written. I'm starting to think it's not quite as fun as creating things. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    It should go live this weekend. It would've gone live earlier this week, but I got sidetracked by taxes. There are still a few tweaks I'd like to give it, but I'm thinking I'll just push what's done out and work on a development version to work out the rest of the kinks.

It really feels good to get back to programming. That's what I did for the first 6 years of my career. My current day j*b is in testing, trying to break what other people have written. I'm starting to think it's not quite as fun as creating things. LOL.

I gotta tell ya..

After 13 years, everyone thinks I must be some kind of web GURU!

I'm a freaking idiot when it comes to coding.

Gonna have to change my entire EVERYTHING on my sites in the next couple of years just to stay up with the the times...

Keeping your code monkey skills up to date will pay off BIG in the near future.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I wish you the best of luck with your new code!

Consulting has become such a pain in a**. Most of my time is spent doing BS. The only time I really get to code is with my own AM site. I know how you feel.

when you do it yourself it boosts up your confidence.

I totally agree -- when I first started out online I was paying someone to do just about everything for me, though in the end I just got frustrated when I had to go back and forward with people a dozen times until they got things like web design right.

In the end it's much more satisfying to do it all yourself!
    [B][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3]50% Recurring Commission on SAS! -- Up To $98.50 Per Sale, Per Month![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]ALL-NEW[/B] SAS Social Media Marketing Program: [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26086]Join AlphaHype.net NOW![/URL]
    [URL=http://alphahype.net/]AlphaHype website[/URL]. [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603]ABW dedicated affiliate forum[/URL].

[B]Dani Evans[/B] -- AlphaHype.net Affiliate Program Manager. [B]email:[/B] dani (at) alphahype.net

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread