I am planning to add a forum to an existing site. Until I determine it will be worthwhile, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, so it needs to be one of the free ones. I can run anything on my server, so that isn't a problem.

I've looked at phpbb, yabb, Invision, XMB, etc., and haven't found one that really suits my needs.

Specifically, there seem to be privacy issues with them, as the member list is available for anyone to click on, complete with E-mail addys. I don't want this. I know you can mod phpbb to eliminate this, but it seems everything with phpbb is a mod, and I find it to be not very user friendly, as many of the mods aren't supported, and don't work properly after updates. Plus, I don't want to spend a ton of time maintaining the thing.

Is a paid version the only way to get the control I want, or do I just need to invest the time to setup and maintain one of the others?

Thanks,
    Andy

I have an active YABB board and people have the option to have their email addresses not show. I know that's probably not what you are talking about. I don't know if there are mods written specifically for that or not. I have found the mods to be fairly easy to install and I have hardly any working knowledge of php.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

We just launched a forum yesterday using vBulletin. I know that there are options in the admin control panel to hide any part of a members profile (including e-mail) from public view, including on the member list itself.

I've been thinking of starting a forum too.

It's not free, and I haven't used any forum software yet - just to add it to the list of possibilities:

Gossamer-threads.com produce forum software.

I think forums present so many challenges that unless you are an expert programmer and prepared to spend many many hours tweaking and customizing, you're better off buying a solution...

I'm sure people running forums can give better input than me.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread