Question Dot This! Dot That! Dot The Other!
    There are all these DOT (insert something here).

Like DOT COM and DOT NET and DOT US and DOT SO FORTH...

I understand the basic difference in the COM and the NET and the US...

QUESTION: How much of an impact do they play in the Serps, if any?

EXAMPLE:

Say this dude buys the domain... BLAHBLAHBLAH dot COM

Someone else buys BLAHBLAHBLAH dot NET

Another buys BLAHBLAHBLAH dot US

All three do their site basically the same. Would one have an advantage over the other in the Serps, and if so, which one and how much of an advantage?

Thanks in advance.

One more thing. Why are those DOT INFO ones so cheap? Do they like do horrible in the Serps or something?

Simply put, Dot.com is said to be KING. I believe that users are just in the habit of using Dot.com, the rest of the extentions came later. It's like branding I would say.

They shouldn't make a difference in SERPs. Many say that .edu and .gov are better (and thus links from them are better), but I think that even that is debatable.

I would strongly recommend that you stick with .com. Many people will accidentally type .com instead of the others, so if you buy example.info, some percent of the type-in traffic that you would receive will end up going to example.com instead.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    They shouldn't make a difference in SERPs. Many say that .edu and .gov are better (and thus links from them are better), but I think that even that is debatable.

I would strongly recommend that you stick with .com. Many people will accidentally type .com instead of the others, so if you buy example.info, some percent of the type-in traffic that you would receive will end up going to example.com instead.

There are a bazillion .com names left..

People don't type in urls anymore...

They go thru search engines...

Don't be shy to add a HYPHEN IN YOUR URL...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Couldn't disagree more.

Yes, people do still type in domains. Some search (often accidentally) but many type them in.

While I have a hyphen in my domain name, I really wish I didn't. The cybersquatter who has the non-hyphenated version gets quite a bit of free traffic as a result. (From people who try to type in my domain name but forget the hyphen.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I am not sure how SERPs appear in the US but if you are searching (on Google for example) from a country like Canada - your search results appear on the Google.ca domain (even if your search started on the .com domain) with regional results (.ca) ranked higher. There are also radio buttons to select to search the web or pages from Canada. This is very useful if you want to target a regional market. I have some very high ranking short tail key phrases on the .ca domain that would be lost on the 15th page in the .com results. (I have no good examples of how to best employ a .info or .net domain name)

So to answer your question - the domain can make a very large impact on SERPs (especially if you live outside of the US).
    Last edited by CanadianDave; March 5th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    So to answer your question - the domain can make a very large impact on SERPs (especially if you live outside of the US).
    I would echo this statement. While I still think grabbing .com is always a good idea, if your outside the US definitely think about your country's extension too.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread