To Open or Not To Open... That Is The Question!
    I got a new medication for acid reflux yesterday and I want to type part of the info on the printout they gave with it.

This is EXACTLY what is has written. Even the all CAPS...

HOW TO USE THIS MEDICINE: Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. SWALLOW WHOLE. DO NOT chew, crush, or open the capsule. If you have difficulty swallowing this medicine whole, the capsule may be opened and the contents sprinkled onto cool applesauce and taken as directed.

Hmmm... So, the directions are to take this medicine without opening the capsule. But, I can disobey those directions and open the capsule as long as I have applesauce present in the room with me. Not nerdy applesauce, but cool applesauce. After opening the capsule that I was told I better not open, I can sprinkle what is inside the capsule on my cool applesauce. Then I am to take the medicine as directed. Which means I have to scoop it back up into the little capsule and reseal it, because that was the original directions... DO NOT open the capsule, which they then told me I could open, as long as I end up taking it as originally instructed, which was un-opened.

It was dumb instructions like these that kept getting me upset over the years which led to my acid reflux.

Couldn't they have just put some applesauce in the dang capsule when they made it?

Why get upset about it? Relax, enjoy and have a good chuckle about people that write instructions like that. Don't take things so literally...I'm sure you could put the medicine on room-temperature peach compote and it would still work. Maybe bury the the capsule in a hamburger patty and disregard your mother's warnings to chew 30 times per bite. If you do make the mistake of biting down on the capsule, you could always spit it into your cool milkshake... lol

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Just eat the applesauce and forget the pill.

See, the reason I got so upset about it is the first time I read it I just sort of glanced over it and only saw this part...

HOW TO USE THIS MEDICINE: Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. SWALLOW WHOLE. DO NOT chew...

I thought they meant to swallow the directions whole without chewing and I nearly choked on them. To top it all off, I now have like 10 paper cuts in my mouth.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Shut up and take your medicine....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I hope Snowfinch never reads the instructions on his shampoo ("Wash. Rinse. Repeat."), or he'll be stuck in the shower forever.

On a serious note... Have you tried to figure out the cause of your acid reflux? I used to get it all the time (I went through a ton of Rolaids and Pepcid), but when I cut way back on simple carbohydrates (processed flour and sugar, especially sodas), my acid reflux went away.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sheesh. Can't you just take a Zantac like the rest of us?

But seriously, my GERD has gotten much better since I started taking a Vitamin D supplement. Might be worth a try.

ABW Ambassador
    Did you finally decide to take it and how.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread