Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does JCPenny have an affiliate program? I thought I saw a website selling their products, but I could be wrong. I've checked their website and even called them to no avail. Does anybody know if they offer this?

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I found a site with a Linkshare link to JCPenny, but I can't seem to find them anywhere in the program. Very strange.

ABW Ambassador
    They used to be at Linkshare but no sign of them there now. Perhaps they don't need affiliates since they started popping ads over L.L. Bean's website with Gator/Claria sp... I mean software. (Oops, I almost said spyware!!)

Wayne

They have a private program, not open to the public.
    There are others, and Perfomics has quite a few private - invite only programs also.

I actually got an invitation to join their program, or more accurately, they somehow just added me to their program. I've never done anything with it though and was wondering what people here thought about it.

I've tended to avoid programs where they have a bricks and mortar store down the street, maybe that is not always a wise approach though.

If they were one of the people using Gator/Claria, then I don't think I would want to be promoting them anyway.

I do alot of sales for them. Not everyone has one near them like they do Walmarts.
    One of my better producers.

ABW Ambassador
    Bubbles, i'll take the invitation, i've been trying to get in.

They let me in when i first was getting started and the only people coming to my site were me, family or friends. And i had to generate $10,000 in sales to stay in so i was out. Today i get send them some sales. Damnit

Connie, do they offer a datafeed? I'm trying to contact somebody about getting invited. Wish me luck!!

- Scott

Trust,

If you think you can make the 10K in sales, write then and send them a copy of your logs so they can see your visitors.

They'll want you back if you can produce the sales.

Cheers,

Beth

Unfortunately, no datafeed. It took me a long time of begging and talking to higher up connections at Linkshare to get in. They kept telling me they weren't accepting new affiliates.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They are a 100% parasite friendly major merchant whop have the program operated by some pimps for the IAB and DMA membership. Every damn incent BHO has their approval the day they launch. Mass advertising Dupers and high traffic sites only ...then pray for sales as they sure don't help focus referrals by having high conversion landing pages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quack quack quack

Well Mike, it is obvious that you aren't in their program. How would you know anything about the people that run their program? I find them to be very nice and very hands on. They have a lot of rules to their program, they don't let affiliates run wild, they have tight control.
    I am sure if you were to talk to other JCPenney affiliates that are active, you would find out that you really don't even have to do much to push them. Their name sells itself.
    Their conversion is great for me.
    How would you know what their landing pages are like if you aren't an affiliate? They convert wonderful for me and many other JCPenney affiliates.
    Why don't you stick to making posts about stores you are an affiliate with and stop bashing those you aren't and that you know nothing about.

Connie would you care to break the secret code of silence imposed upon those worthy of being chosen for a JC Penny affiliate status. Who the hell runs this program as it sure isn't an employee of JC Penney. My educated guess is the in-house Linkshare AM firm who probably are banned from posting on any affiliate board. It could be one the the 3rd party AM firms who brought the BHO's into prominence by taking all the major brand merchants and enrolling them in the theftware merchant pool.

They are smart enough to only accept a couponer site like your that has ethics and don't pound the SERPS with trademark spam. I see them at established portals like ivillage or Dupers like Bizrate. But no way does there AM have the skill set or desire to know what drives sales as I imagine they do not leverage LS creatives designed for thta purpose. So they can stuff their private program and work with a handfull of super affiliates, Dupers and BHO's as they're all about old school branding.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I have run Penneys for the last three years and do well with them. At the time I applied they were open to everyone, but then they went to private due to many affiliates consistently posting unauthorized coupon codes.

They were very careful about who they let into their program, and the program has been closed to new affiliates for about a year, from what I recall.

Sites that deliberatly run codes that they have been asked multiple times to take down give all of us a bad name, thus closing wonderful programs like this to many affiliates. So, it is the affiliates fault this program is closed, not Penneys.

Moral of the story ...if you lay down with couponers ...you get up with fleas.

Actually Mike, the people running the program are from JCPenney.
    They have automatically updating creatives for the latest promotions and keep us affiliates up to date on what is going on.
    They are one of the better run programs out there.

Sounds like JCPenny is running a good program.

They do have a great program. They frequently send out new creatives, and keep us on top of every sale/special event. They are awesome )

ABW Ambassador
    I dunno ... I get the gut feeling that they may even be considering or planning to change back over to a non-private program sometime soon.

With the new individual product links made available , they are "reaching out" to their existing affiliates to some extent , AND
    if you think about all the tough competition out there for this current economy, I don't think any company can afford to hide behind closed doors for too long and still thrive.

My guess is that they will do whatever it takes , and I wouldn't be a bit surprized if they begin to surface in the Linkshare interface sometime in the near future.

Just a guess.

I had a communication with Kevin about the links, and some others had complained so I think that is why they made the ipl available. I don't really forsee them opening up the program. They like to keep a tight rein on affiliates and it would be hard to do that if they opened it.

ABW Ambassador
    I wrote to JC Penney today, and received a very prompt reply. Their program is closed (I mean to the general affiliate community), and they are very selective in who they let into their affiliate program.
    Kevin gave me quite a few tough questions to answer before they will consider letting me in.

Judging by the e-mail, they have no intentions of opening up their affiliate program to everyone. A very wise affiliate manager.

Kevin does run a tight ship but he is very helpful, easy to talk to and offers insight and advice to help you.

There is a lot of rules within their program but if you follow them like Connie says the sales pretty much come in on their own due to their wide brand recognition.

FACTS from 2 years ago about JC Penney.

JC Penney does more than $100 million per year in online sales.

They got more than 500k pageviews per day and most of the traffic cames from their catalog, SE, AOL or affiliates that 'got screwed but didn't know it' but never complained when they DID have some outside people running the program.

They got new management and closed the program.
    The coupon excuse was just that, an excuse.

They HAD zero day cookies and affiliates made less than 1% of the sales AND well over 50% of the actual sales were never reported.

Today, the program is much like Amazon...you never see 50% of the sales that are made from your affiliate traffic ever reported, but if you have the right traffic and send the people who go straight in and buy without dancing all over their site, you can make some sales that actually get credited to you.

But Mike is right...they are all about getting people to go to the brick and motar stores and the online sales thru the affiliate channel is looked at as just another AD to run on some TV show. Affiliates are basically irrelevant, but since they need the online operations to deal with sales from their catalog, they might as well have a affilate program and a bunch of suckers to send them FREE traffic.

However, if you play their affiliate game, you can make some money as they do have brand name recognition and people are not AFRAID to buy from their site.

BTW, they love LS...cheapest AD deal on the planet for the impressions generated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> they might as well have a affilate program and a bunch of suckers to send them FREE traffic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone I know who runs Penneys makes quite a bit of money with them. They are an excellent company and they treat their affiliates well, and offer a fair return day policy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast