Stinking red light cameras - I'm pleading innocentguilty
    [/rant on]
    A couple weeks ago I'm driving home from fishing late at night. Came up to an intersection, there was an accident and the police were directing traffic. This intersection had red light cameras. As the cops were waving people through, the little camera is flashing it's butt off taking pictures of everyone.

I was one of them, got waved through by the cop, camera got me in multiple snapshots. I didn't think anything of it until I got the ticket in the mail, with a fine of $370.00. Not to happy I called the court. They told me the only way I could clear it was to come in and explain it to the judge, mandatory appearance or pay the fine. I'm guessing on that day there will be 50 or more people just like me there.
    [/rant off]

But wait..... there's more...

So they have nice pictures of me, multiple views. One of them shows me running the light with my plate, and one from the front plate low shows the police car in the intersection. And in the another frame, a perfect view of me, sitting behind the wheel driving..... with my cell phone stuck to my head.

So if I got to court and show it to the judge to clear the red light ticket, he'll probably nail me for the cell phone. Go ahead and laugh at my expense, because it is funny. I'm starting to think it sucks to be me sometimes.

I heard recently that the judge has to ask whether or not you will allow the photos to be admitted as evidence, and if you say no, they simply can't be used. No pictures, no live cop to testify (because the "cop" that signed the ticket that you got wasn't there) means case dismissed.

I'm not sure this works everywhere... in fact, I'm not sure it works at all. But it's something to look into as a possibility, and it would neatly solve the problem of the cell phone usage, too.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    If this happened to a lot of people, all at the same time, then the judge will probably just dismiss all of the cases without needing to look at any photos

And in the another frame, a perfect view of me, sitting behind the wheel driving..... with my cell phone stuck to my head.

So if I got to court and show it to the judge to clear the red light ticket, he'll probably nail me for the cell phone...
    You didn't mention the seatbelt, so it looks like you was tied down while driving and talking.

Not for nothing Mack, but you drove right by a police officer tending to an accident with your phone up?

Nice
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Not for nothing Mack, but you drove right by a police officer tending to an accident with your phone up?

Nice
    Is it illegal for you guys to drive thru school zones with your phone?

New law here in Texas....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

We can't text or not use a headset to talk anywhere in NYS.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Chicago has had a law against using "hand-held" cell phones while driving for a few years now. Illinois just passed laws prohibiting texting while driving and using "hand-held" cell phones in school zones.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hey when I was younger we used to cut through the back of a mean lady's property on our snowmobiles. One time a NY State Trooper came to our house with a blury photo the lady took from 70 yards away. When the trooper suggested that was proof I just said "that's not me" and stuck to my guns...probably repeated myself ten times "that's not me". It worked...

Can't you just do that?

ARG! I hate red-light cams. I got a ticket from one last fall and have driven very carefully ever since. Actually, I should say I've driven in a way in which to avoid getting one. That includes slamming on the breaks as soon as I see yellow, even if there is a guy on my tail. Shoot, if he hits me, it's legally his fault. I hate having that attitude, because I think traffic laws should be in place to avoid accidents. I've seen some statistics that show an increase in rear-end collisions as a result of having the cameras installed. Must just be a coincidence that city revenue is also something that increases with the cams' popularity.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by brett-e2
    ...That includes slamming on the breaks as soon as I see yellow, even if there is a guy on my tail. Shoot, if he hits me, it's legally his fault.

Good luck telling the judge that one. How the heck can it be his fault if you slam on the breaks and then get hit?

That would be your fault.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    If this happened to a lot of people, all at the same time, then the judge will probably just dismiss all of the cases without needing to look at any photos
    Maybe, but now this thread can be submitted as evidence (a confession really) of talking on the cell while running a red light!

In a rear-end collision, the person doing the hitting is almost always faulted over the person that is doing the stopping, especially at a light.

Lets see I bet in a few days time I could come up with an excuse that would work.

When the accident happened the cops had us stopped at the light for almost 1/2 hour while they loaded the people into the ambulance and cleared up the scene. You called home to let them know you would be late. As soon as you dialed the cop waived you through the light.

I did some research and found;
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark
    I heard recently that the judge has to ask whether or not you will allow the photos to be admitted as evidence, and if you say no, they simply can't be used. No pictures, no live cop to testify (because the "cop" that signed the ticket that you got wasn't there) means case dismissed.
    @Daniel - Your asking about the right to face your accuser. That was settled in some of the first red light challenges in Ca. As long as the photos follow the proper chain of evidence, they can be admitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin

Nice
    I was hoping nobody would catch that, leave it to you to see the obvious. I saw him and lowered my phone, and then thought he was so busy he wasn't going to jump in his car and come after me. (I was calling the guys behind me pulling the boat, telling them to avoid the intersection. It's a big boat.)

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Is it illegal for you guys to drive thru school zones with your phone?
    Can't text or use phone period in Ca. Just ask the Governator's wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    "that's not me" and stuck to my guns...probably repeated myself ten times "that's not me". It worked...

Can't you just do that?
    Impossible. The picture is so clear there is no doubt. If I was holding up a newspaper you could read the headline. On the picture of my front plate, you can see the bugs. They have this down to a science now.

No denying it, clear as day, BillyJimJoeDumbass with my phone stuck to my head.

I asked about this when I called the clerks office. They said there's no class action in criminal court. Since it is a criminal complaint/offense, each case has to be handled individually by a judge. That's why I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one there.

I'm just going to show up and tell the truth. I do want the red light charge cleared because it's a moving violation. If I get asked about the cell phone I'll just plead stupidity and pay that fine.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I asked about this when I called the clerks office. They said there's no class action in criminal court. Since it is a criminal complaint/offense, each case has to be handled individually by a judge. That's why I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one there.
    What a waste of money though, and time.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    What a waste of money though, and time.
    Exactly - for the court system and for all the dastardly criminals caught by this ingenious crime-detection system. (Shouldn't all those cameras be out looking for murderers instead?)

Anyway, this outrageous event might be of interest to someone at the LA Times. I'd try contacting someone at the city desk, like Andrew Blankstein, their top crime reporter, or the reporter that covers the community where this occurred. You can find all the contact info here.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Don't show the judge all the photos. Or you can just mention what happened and might have already heard about the problem from other people.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam
    Don't show the judge all the photos. Or you can just mention what happened and might have already heard about the problem from other people.
    Not up to Mack. The originals will be in the Court file.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I get the feeling that this is the new way to balance budgets. Pinch the law abiding citizens for any technicality you can get them on. Easy targets.

Meanwhile, the con artists that game the system get off scott free. Or the person that once stole my check book and wrote checks in my wifes name all over town - the police had no interest to investigate and were almost annoyed that I reported it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It is likely (though not a certainty) that the majority of the people who received tickets-through-the-mail for "running" that light at that time will all have court appearances in the same place at the same time. Like Julian posted yesterday, by the time the judge hears the same story for the 10th time, he'll likely be a bit perturbed at the clerks responsible for wasting his time and court resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I get the feeling that this is the new way to balance budgets. Pinch the law abiding citizens for any technicality you can get them on. Easy targets.
    Exactly. A big story in SoCal the past week has been how the City of Orange has filed misdemeanor charges against a man and a woman who a couple of years ago, in a very successful effort to save water in these years of drought, ripped out their lawn and replaced it with wood chips and a few low maintenance type plants. Seems the city has an ordinance that requires homeowners to have at least 40% of their front yards covered with live plants. News article (Article incorrectly says at the beginning that they are being sued, but it is actually a criminal case.)

It appears the right hand does know what the left hand is doing, they just didn't talk to each other quick enough. That or they got 50 calls on the same thing and decided to do something.

In this mornings mail I got a letter from the local PD. Nice letter, explaining that after review by a traffic investigator the charges were dropped. Gave me a name and number to call directly if there were any questions.

So I got lucky this time. Think it's time to go get a hands free thing. I just hate the bluetooth things though. Looks like a giant cockroach stuck to the side of your head. Guess I'm getting old, I just like using a phone for a phone.

ABW Ambassador
    It appears the right hand does know what the left hand is doing, they just didn't talk to each other quick enough. That or they got 50 calls on the same thing and decided to do something.

In this mornings mail I got a letter from the local PD. Nice letter, explaining that after review by a traffic investigator the charges were dropped. Gave me a name and number to call directly if there were any questions.

So I got lucky this time. Think it's time to go get a hands free thing. I just hate the bluetooth things though. Looks like a giant cockroach stuck to the side of your head. Guess I'm getting old, I just like using a phone for a phone.
    and they wonder why there is always a budget deficit

this may have been stopped, but there was a cost involved, what a waste

You can get a visor mounted bluetooth speakerphone, but it stays in the car. I have no idea on what makes one of these good or bad, but I assume you need a quiet car. That leaves me out...

All the new smart phones are cool devices but horrible to hold and talk with. I use my bluetooth headset even when I'm sitting at my desk. I'm partial to the Jawbone, but BlueAnt makes some really nice ones as well.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

http and a telephoto
    Droid has a fabulous speaker phone. I can use it anywhere and hear it and be heard on it.

Glad they resolved the red light thing, running a red light carries a much bigger penalty than talking on your phone.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread