I'm going to drop this question in this thread, if it's misplaced I suppose some mod will move it.

I am not quite sure I know enough to ask the question correctly, but: I am toying with entry into AM... and have been reading reading reading. I believe I have a niche picked out, and with my research have found a few online stores that appear to be very good, but INDY, in that I cannot find them on any of the networks I have searched, NOR do I find any info about their in-house affiliate programs. Here's the question: Any luck in contacting a merchant and suggesting an affiliate relationship? And, of course, as a newbie I wouldn't begin to know how to tell them to go about setting it up, tracking, etc. OK, "Have at it!"... did I ask it correctly?

Moderator Note: I split this out and moved it.

Rather than being indy programs, it sounds like these are actually merchants who DON'T have an affiliate program at all.

As a newbie, I would recommend that you start with merchants who have affiliate programs on the major networks. Once you've seen some success, you could pick up some indy programs (those are merchants who run their programs in-house [thus, "indy"] rather than through a network), if you really want to. But I wouldn't bother trying to get merchants to set up an affiliate program if they don't have one.

I've been in the industry for over 10 years, and have been very successful. Over that time, I've tried to encourage probably 100 merchants to set up affiliate programs. Very few (probably fewer than a dozen) did, and many of them were flops because the merchant just didn't know what they were doing.

Stick with the ones on networks and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Michael. You interpreted the question correctly, and I appreciate the advice from experience.

Agreed. There are more than enough affiliate programs out there from which to choose that the drawbacks of trying to find, convince, and coach a new merchant on how to get it all started would far outweigh the benefits.

Also Thank You
    I was wondering about that same question.

I live in South Africa and I tell you there are so many merchants over here without an affiliate program. Maybe its just me not looking hard enough.

Smile Thanks for the definition!
    Hi Michael,

I very seriously want to put all my efforts into affiliate marketing, so I've been researching for several months. This is the first time I've seen the term "indy" used in anything related to AM... in the post that you're responding to. When I saw it, I made a quick note to find out what it means. THANKS for reading my mind, and especially that you did it several years ahead of time It sure would be nice if more people did this!

All The Best!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    indy programs (those are merchants who run their programs in-house [thus, "indy"] rather than through a network)

If you're a member in an affiliate network that is a bit more exclusive (not CB or CJ) and have an affiliate manager assigned to you, you can ask him or the network to turn to that specific merchant, they will check if it's worthwhile and will do all the work for you. But you will have to show beforehand that you have a marketing strategy and proven success.

Quote Originally Posted by WordWaves View Post
    Agreed. There are more than enough affiliate programs out there from which to choose that the drawbacks of trying to find, convince, and coach a new merchant on how to get it all started would far outweigh the benefits.
    I agree with this statement. Michael Coley gives cogent reasons for sticking with the merchants
    who already have affiliate programs in post #2.
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 20th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread