How to find an Affiliate Manager or OPM?
    Hey there!

Forgive me my newbieness haha, but I was referred to this forum by Rich Schefren who mentioned this was the place to be to find an affiliate manager.

My definition of a manager: someone who helps me recruit affiliates or broker JV deals and who earns a % off of every sale.

Now, I already did my homework and know exactly what type of companies, people and sites to approach... and even know of related products that could lead to profitable JV deals... put all these in a nice little Excel file.

Anyways, I really donīt know IF and WHERE to get an affiliate manager on this site. Let alone what criteria to use for hiring one, what % to give the guy (or girl) and so on.

Can you help me out? Who has some tips and tricks for me?

P.S. I donīt have the money (yet) to just go to CJ, LS and the other big networks, pay them 5.000 bucks and see what they can do for me. My company isnīt generating those kinds of numbers yet.

Moderator Note: We seem to get this question quite a bit, so I'm turning this into a sticky thread.

If you're looking for an in-house affiliate manager, you can pay to post a job opening.

If you're looking for an outsource program manager, you can find many excellent OPMs who have forums here: abestweb.com/opms.

My tips for finding an OPM:

1) Look through their forums and see which ones have management styles and activity levels that seem most appealing to you.

2) Contact your top 2 or 3 choices and get an initial consultation and a quote on services. (You should be able to find their contact information on their forums, in their sigs, on their sites, etc.)

3) Pick one.

4) Do everything they suggest.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    It sounds like you are indeed looking for an OPM as typically in-house AMs are more costly on the front end.

There are also consultants out there (myself included) that can help you get the ball rolling, start a small program, build it yourself, and then figure out what to do from that point. You might be able to manage it yourself in the short-term and grow it and save some money.

There are a lot of good OPMs out there if you have some money now to spend.

Here is a list of the best: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=129249
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I am sure that branded OPM will not be a good choice for a newly launched program. The reasons are:

>> Branded OPMs are costly
    >> They prefer to work with networks
    >> They don't prefer to work with newly launched affiliate programs

To launch a new program in the industry, a lot of work is required to be done. Promotions, Branding, Affiliate Lead Generation, Contacting them manually on Phone and email etc. The best solution is to hire a cost effective result oriented affiliate managers who can offer all these services at reasonable rates ans can work in the direction of delivering results.

You usually get what you pay for. If you can't afford a professional OPM, you're probably better off doing it yourself as you can learn from your own mistakes. It is possibly more costly doing it yourself in the long run, but no more so than hiring an amateur program manager who may never notice the mistakes.
    So do affiliates
    Most of them certainly do want to be in before the launch so they have less cleanup and repair.

PS this thread is about 6 months old and I don't think the OP is still taking applications.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi1981 View Post
    I am sure that branded OPM will not be a good choice for a newly launched program. The reasons are:

To launch a new program in the industry, a lot of work is required to be done. Promotions, Branding, Affiliate Lead Generation, Contacting them manually on Phone and email etc. The best solution is to hire a cost effective result oriented affiliate managers who can offer all these services at reasonable rates ans can work in the direction of delivering results.
    OPMs are the alternative for an inhouse affiliate manager, or can provide training for new inhouse management staff.

Not sure what you mean by Branded OPMs, there are a lot of options within the OPM industry and you actually have in your signature that you are an OPM. So you wouldn't work with a newly launched program?

There are OPMs that pretty much specialize in program launches and others that only work with established programs with big budgets.

And this is general info, as Michael made this a sticky since the question comes up frequently
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Question What is Certified Affiliate Manager & other questions
    This is very interesting to someone like myself who wasn't 100% sure exactly where I fit in. I became affiliate manager for a program somewhat by fate and learned largely by osmosis as I was helping a client and conceive, create, and bring a product to market using an affiliate network, and as I set out to offer this service to others, I've since come to find that this skill is in fact a kind of specialty in the Internet Marketing field, and not only has a job title, but various designations.

But I'm still a little unsure on the distinctions. I don't exactly work "in-house" since I'm an independent contractor and work out of my own office--as I would think most affiliate managers would do from the other descriptions I have seen. And as of yet I don't have any other clients I am doing affiliate management for. So what does that make me, and how would you define "in-house?" Are these distinctions further defined by how you get paid (commission, fee, hourly, some combination thereof)?

Also, on some of the big kahnua OPM's and Affiliate Managers banner ads around here, I see a "Certified Affiliate Manager" designation. How does one become certified, and how much does it matter?

Anyone who has any thoughts on any of these matters, I'd love to hear as I am sure would others with similar questions.

Thanks

would love to hear replies to this!
    Quote Originally Posted by spark3marketing View Post
    This is very interesting to someone like myself who wasn't 100% sure exactly where I fit in. I became affiliate manager for a program somewhat by fate and learned largely by osmosis as I was helping a client and conceive, create, and bring a product to market using an affiliate network, and as I set out to offer this service to others, I've since come to find that this skill is in fact a kind of specialty in the Internet Marketing field, and not only has a job title, but various designations.

But I'm still a little unsure on the distinctions. I don't exactly work "in-house" since I'm an independent contractor and work out of my own office--as I would think most affiliate managers would do from the other descriptions I have seen. And as of yet I don't have any other clients I am doing affiliate management for. So what does that make me, and how would you define "in-house?" Are these distinctions further defined by how you get paid (commission, fee, hourly, some combination thereof)?

Also, on some of the big kahnua OPM's and Affiliate Managers banner ads around here, I see a "Certified Affiliate Manager" designation. How does one become certified, and how much does it matter?

Anyone who has any thoughts on any of these matters, I'd love to hear as I am sure would others with similar questions.

Thanks
    Very good questions, I am a newbie too and sort of in the same predicament, would love to get some answers!

Danny28, thanks for bumping an old thread with a self serving message
    that tells everyone to go to an opposite forum or site.
    You have 2 messages so far with the same self serving spam

I can see you'll make a great member
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; April 13th, 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Removed quoted spam.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

From my experience, just to add to this thread, is that the best scenario here is a one that is win/win/win for everyone. Whether it be an AM or OPM I would suggest a combination pay which includes a flat rate and some sort of bonus based off of performance as a incentive. Incentive style bonuses help motivate AM's and OPM's to perform as well as get paid a minimum amount for their time.

In order to find a good fit, I would look at track record and style of management. An Affiliate Program is an investment into your company and any AM or OPM will effect how you are perceived online.

Good luck!!

I am in a similar position but I do understand AM pretty well and have an OPM who's getting a lot of traction but I am curious if we are implementing the best strategy.

I would appreciate if an experience AM or OPM would just take some time and chat, willing to find a way to compensate, or if they don't mind chatting for 15-30mins that would be great.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Not every merchant is a good fit for every OPM. You are welcome to make a post here: Job Postings - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Not every merchant is a good fit for every OPM.
    Agreed, but I think you should talk to your current OPM and resolve any differences. Tell them what you want. If it doesn't work, end the relationship and then go shopping.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Agreed, but I think you should talk to your current OPM and resolve any differences. Tell them what you want. If it doesn't work, end the relationship and then go shopping.
    Very well put!

Thanks for the feed back I'll see you guys at the top

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread