For affiliates: how do you backup your site?
    I'm currently reviewing my backup procedures, which got me wondering about the community in general - some affiliates have more technical expertise than others, which makes a difference, but it's an important issue for all of us.

There are many ways to implement backup - local, offsite using your own tools, a second server, or a 3rd party (paid) service.

I'm aware of all the options out there, so my question is more general..

Do you use a 3rd party service, do you manage your own backup process, or rely on your host to provide that service?

Thanks!

I just do a "download a home directory backup" manually through cpanel every time I've made any changes to a site. Takes anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two depending on the size of the site.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Cool
    I have duplicate pages saved for each site on the home computer and that is backed up on tape. The server operators make backups anyway, but if there is total loss (or I decide to suddenly move from them) I have more ways.

The master copy of my source code (e.g. html, code files, images) resides on a computer at home with RAID 1 and I ftp it up to the servers. I have my source checked into CVS and I burn copies of my CVS tree and a checked out tree to DVD a couple times a week.

My live "database" is backed up and compressed once a day to network attached storage that I use just for backups.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Copies of my site/databases on a backup VPS outside of my main dedicated server, with externally hosted DNS to switch-over if the main server fails or if there's a network problem.

nightly cron job

Cpanel makes it easy!

Usually just backup the sites once a week if there have been no major updates or anything like that. Though lately a few haven't been updated for months, so it hasn't been worth doing.

Or am I just lazy?
    [B][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3]50% Recurring Commission on SAS! -- Up To $98.50 Per Sale, Per Month![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]ALL-NEW[/B] SAS Social Media Marketing Program: [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26086]Join AlphaHype.net NOW![/URL]
    [URL=http://alphahype.net/]AlphaHype website[/URL]. [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603]ABW dedicated affiliate forum[/URL].

[B]Dani Evans[/B] -- AlphaHype.net Affiliate Program Manager. [B]email:[/B] dani (at) alphahype.net

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Back up??? My site is created locally and then I have to upload it to the host. So there is always 2 copies of my site. The one running on my server and the local one on my computer. They are self backing, aren't they?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I always have back ups of backups of backups. Mostly because I have my laptop, my travel laptop, my home pc, my office pc and so on. So I have copies of files floating around everywhere.

But I have an external 4 TB station that I back up my sites to compressed. I download them through cpanel and move them to the backup station. I sometimes FTP them to another server just in case.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Here's my way:

On my servers, I run a script nightly that mainly uses mysqldump to dump my MySQL databases locally (usually to something like /backups/mysql/)

Then on my web hosting service (for my personal website) which gives me an SSH shell, I run another nightly script that mainly uses rsync to pull across any changes from the previous day. The script pulls across the MySQL dumps and the web content for all my sites.

The best part is that I don't have to think about it, and there's a backup in a completely different hosting facility in a different city. I also have backups on my home computer which in turn gets backed up via a Mozy/Carbonite/BackBlaze-like service.

Yup, never underestimate the need for a great backup!

Talking
    it's written somewhere: If you don't do regular backups, you will need one some day

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Copies of my site/databases on a backup VPS outside of my main dedicated server, with externally hosted DNS to switch-over if the main server fails or if there's a network problem.
    That's about what I do for my main $$$ sites. If there is a major catastrophe at one host/datacenter I won't be out of business for very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by oranges
    Back up??? My site is created locally and then I have to upload it to the host. So there is always 2 copies of my site. The one running on my server and the local one on my computer. They are self backing, aren't they?
    Some hosts do thorough and frequent back-ups and some hosts "say" they do.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread