Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    More Government Waste
    In this thread, there was much said about wasted government resources, much of it in attempts to find revenue in the tough economy.

Well, I received in the US Mail today (as many of you may have, or soon will), an example of absolute idiocy that amounts to total waste, pure and simple.

I received a letter, sent First-Class US Mail, from the Census Bureau, presumably sent to ALL US HOUSEHOLDS, telling us, that in a week or so, they will be sending us our Census forms.

WTF!

Bulk mail costs, printing costs, cost of the paper and envelopes, and untold manpower hours. How much did this cost?

Just send the forms. A prologue is unnecessary.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I got two (2) of those mailings dotay. I guess they figure if you're going to waste money, you might as well waste twice as much.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I got it too. I'm glad to get the warning. Oh lawdy! A big envelope coming from the census dept. might have surprised and shocked me to no end! Who knooows what might have happened!

Seriously... don't know the logic of this. Anyone who will throw the census form in the trash without opening would do the same with this letter.

Moderator Note: Pure political discussions like this are prohibited because of the divisiveness that they can cause. It seems like this is one that crosses the divide and it's in a semi-private forum, so I'll let it remain until or unless it becomes divisive.

Sadly, this mailing is one of the smaller expenses. With an estimated cost of $11.8 billion and a population of 300 million, that's almost $40 for every man, woman and child in the US.

One of my favorite Despair.com posters:

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just a guess - but maybe they are looking for 'return to sender' returns telling them they have a bad address so they don't waste even larger bucks sending the main packet to a bad address and then paying a larger 'return to sender' fee

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    Just a guess - but maybe they are looking for 'return to sender' returns telling them they have a bad address so they don't waste even larger bucks sending the main packet to a bad address and then paying a larger 'return to sender' fee
    That would be smart, hence I don't think it was the plan. They would need time to remove the addresses that "bounced" from the master database, I don't think they would be able to handle that that quickly.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Mine was only addressed to:
    Residential Customer
    city, state & zip

But that was over a week ago. Today I found a form hanging on my front driveway gate, obviously hand delivered...to save on postage maybe?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Nope, they are paying up to $22/hour for people to deliver that to you. If you have a dog, or if you are not home, they leave it on your doorknob. Then, in a month or two, if it hasn't been turned back in, they will start coming around and filling out the form for you on a one on one interview.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Mine was only addressed to:
    Residential Customer
    city, state & zip

But that was over a week ago. Today I found a form hanging on my front driveway gate, obviously hand delivered...to save on postage maybe?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread