Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I don't see it anymore

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Uh-oh, did they take their ball and go home rather than try and defend their latest stance on scumware?

Effective 6/20/03 5:30pm EST the Overstock forum was turned off as per their request, JP or Shawn will post as to the reasons why.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Affiliate Manager
    Today, June 20th 2003 Overstock.com requested the Overstock.com forum on ABW pulled down. Overstock.com has sponsored the forum for over a year on ABestWeb.

The reason for Overstock.com's request to ABW stems from Overstock.com's current stature as a publicly traded company. On the advice of our legal counsel, Overstock.com made the decision to pull down the forum.

Overstock.com still deeply values its Affiliate relationships and will continue to be a leader in Affiliate marketing. Overstock.com will post announcements and substantive changes to its program in the Linkshare forum on ABW from time to time. Overstock.com would like to thank Haiko for the great site and community he has put together.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Oh that cleared things right up for me.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

IMHO ... here's the english translation:

Public companies (with shareholders to answer to and a big wallet) do not want to be sued for repeatedly allowing known parasites to pilfer their affiliate traffic nor allow proof thereof to be publically posted so that any affiliate can take action against them.

Not being an @ss just stating the facts!

Lay with dogs and you will get fleas! - I'd say buy stock in PETS.OB

</font></p>

I stated a long time ago that companies with links to parasites should have been banned from hosting forums on ABW. Its actually good news for affiliates as ABW can now highlight affiliate friendly programs like TigerDirect, Mondera, Essential Apparel, BackcountryStore and others. OverStock has the ability to one of the best affiliate programs online, if only they followed in the steps of the companies named above.

JJJay,

Ammending our forum hosting agreement right now so that any merchant forum hosted by ABW must be and continue to maintain a status of parasite free!

TY for the support.

</font></p>

[This message was edited by Haiko on June 20, 2003 at 10:00 PM.]

Very Sad, Very sad...

Fred

"Yo momma's glasses are so thick she can see into the future."

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...3&m=4636071253

Good ridance. Clean it up, and maybe I'll reassess. But to be honest, I have a feeling all the bs over the last several months is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth for quite some time.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Haiko wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ammending our forum hosting agreement right now so that any merchant forum hosted by ABW must be and continue to maintain a status of parasite free!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

This is an excellent change! I've long thought that we were sending mixed messages by letting merchants that allow parasites in their programs to have forums at ABW.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    This really is funny. But I like the excuse. How long have they been public? Picked scumware to win a little award and then just didn't have the balls to say once again - we screwed up. Much easier, and funnier to run.

But they have done so much for scumware. Oops, I mean so much for the community against scumware... yeah that was it.

I think that is a good move haiko, gives people the security in knowing that if it is promoted here, there is a level of trust you should have. Sorry to see it cost you money.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Makes you wonder what is going on with Overstock. Last summer and fall, Shawn was leading the charge against parasiteware and scumware. But now, Overstock seems to be abandoning their stance on it. I'm sure Shawn has nothing to do with it, so it makes me wonder what's going on in the higher levels of Overstock.

Glad I've never really promoted Overstock much and didn't launch a site dedicated to them!

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Why was the forum removed rather than locked? We no longer have the comments posted by Overstock now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why was the forum removed rather than locked? We no longer have the comments posted by Overstock now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the Overstock forum was turned off as per their request<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice no? as you said, no longer have any of the info that might be beneficial for affs. Speaks volumes IMO.

"Why was the forum removed rather than locked? We no longer have the comments posted by Overstock now." BiddingForTravel.com, please read Haiko's comments above

"Ammending our forum hosting agreement right now so that any merchant forum hosted by ABW must be and continue to maintain a status of parasite free!"

Haiko, are we headed for Shoes.Com next?

Fred

"Yo momma's glasses are so thick she can see into the future."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    I've long thought that we were sending mixed messages by letting merchants that allow parasites in their programs to have forums at ABW.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEVERMORE!

</font></p>

I wonder what happened PR-wise. Someone must have made a complaint or an upper management viewed something that was not kosher.

Goal: to earn one dollar without working for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    IMHO ... here's the english translation:

Public companies (with shareholders to answer to and a big wallet) do not want to be sued for repeatedly allowing known parasites to pilfer their affiliate traffic nor allow proof thereof to be publically posted so that _any_ affiliate can take action against them.

Not being an @ss just stating the facts!

Lay with dogs and you _will_ get fleas! - I'd say buy stock in http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PETS.OB&d=t

&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana"&gt;Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should take away their moderating rights and private forum rights.

now I gotta spend the weeken pulling down pages.

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?" -anon

Affiliate Manager
    ouch...

Look, I really don't want this to be viewed as a negative thing. I've been extremely active at ABW over the last year, and I've learned an incredible amount of information from the people here. I am eternally grateful, and I want to remain active in this community, if you'll have me.

I know by your posts that many of you are happy to see our forum go, and others a bit saddened. I’m sorry if this move has upset anyone. Ultimately, it was my decision, so if you are upset by it then you can blame me. I am available directly at 801-947-3119, and I would love the chance to talk about it if you’d like.

I will not argue that there are certain areas of our affiliate program that need some work. I believe we have accomplished many things very well over the last year, yet other areas have slipped through the cracks. It is for that reason that we need to pull away from ABW among other areas of our business to refocus our efforts. I am unable to communicate the details of our plans at this time, but I can assure you that many will be pleased with our changes over the next few months.

The affiliate program has been and will continue to be a major focus for our company. All of the recommendations over the past year, including those referencing ParasiteWare, have been taken to heart. That is not why we are leaving ABW. Hopefully you’ll be happy when you see the changes we have in the coming months.

I would very much like to make this an amicable temporary departure. Please accept my apology if our leave of absence as a permanent forum has offended you in any way.

Thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    So, maybe some of the die hard Overstock fans around here will finally start promoting competitors? If they are going to retain affiliates that act in a predatory manner, are ABWers going to continue to support them?

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

ABW Ambassador
    Shawn, Overstock was called to task this week on the most important issue affecting affiliates and you say this has nothing to do with your decision. That's a bit hard to believe, Shawn. If the reasons you are stating are true, then the right thing to do would have been to affirm the findings of Haiko and BLFH, take the appropriate action and then close your forum.

As you know, most participants here don't want their website identities made public, yet if they were to contact you personally as you've asked, that would defeat the whole purpose of the community effort to address our issues without jeopardizing any aspect of our relationship.

Closing your forum and not responding to posts won't change anything. I have no doubt you'll continue to monitor comments about your company on the Linkshare forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Electropulse:
    you should take away their moderating rights and private forum rights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been done!

</font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn@Overstock.com:
    ... amicable temporary departure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? temporary?

</font></p>

"Ammending our forum hosting agreement right now so that any merchant forum hosted by ABW must be and continue to maintain a status of parasite free!"

If this starts to cost you to much money?
    I would be willing to pay abw membership fee's(donations) monthly or yearly, I'm sure others would too. To help keep this board running with nothing but parasite free advertisers. Kinda like keeping the best advertisers with the best group of affiliates all in one area. This way our traffic can go to the advertisers that deserve it, and our willing to earn our Trust.

Just an idea more can be added....

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast