Question Anyone done any media buys?
    Hi all - not a lot of threads in this forum so far, and they all seem geared to 'free' traffic generation, but I wanted to throw this out to see if anyone had any thoughts:

Have any of you purchased any ad space (media buys I guess) on other sites/networks (not PPC) to push traffic to your site and/or affiliate offers?

So you could have bought banner space and I'm guessing text ads too, but not in the traditional PPC way.

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've bought banner space for load of different businesses in varied industries, however I've generally kept away from it in most cases, unless it's an exclusive spot and even then, sometimes results can be far from desired.

For example: when we opened the dedicated affiliate forum here on ABestWeb for our AlphaHype.net SAS affiliate program (yeah, plug I know...) we got free impressions here to the tune of around 15K/month.

The good thing is that even though it's a relatively small number, we noticed an increase in joining affiliates, which is the intended goal, of course.

However, just last week (I think on Wednesday) we paid $1,500 to WickedFire (sorry -- I know they're a competing forum!) for an (almost) exclusive 728x90 banner spot in rotation with only one other. It should still be running there, though only for another 24 hours or so.

While I thought this would have been a great investment, sadly, it wasn't. In the last week, nothing has changed in terms of our affiliate sign-ups, so it was really some cash that could have been spent elsewhere.

I guess the bottom line with buying media like this is that you can't always trust what you think may be a good outcome, sometimes you just have to invest the cash and see what happens.

In the end, it might cost you $1,500 to learn a lesson like this, though at least you've taken one option off the board!

In summary, banners on ABestWeb work, Wickedfire not so much.
    [B][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3]50% Recurring Commission on SAS! -- Up To $98.50 Per Sale, Per Month![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]ALL-NEW[/B] SAS Social Media Marketing Program: [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26086]Join AlphaHype.net NOW![/URL]
    [URL=http://alphahype.net/]AlphaHype website[/URL]. [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603]ABW dedicated affiliate forum[/URL].

[B]Dani Evans[/B] -- AlphaHype.net Affiliate Program Manager. [B]email:[/B] dani (at) alphahype.net

Online Marketing Consultant
    You can do a lot with Media Buys for your site. Chances are for Affiliate Ads, if not free trials with high payouts you will not break even with a DTM. You also have to be careful when purchasing your "Media Buys" because if you use the wrong "Media Company" you can easily loose your Affiliate Accounts at any of the major Networks. They are a great way to brand your site though if you are ready to burn through some money or can remarket over and over to turn a profit.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

ABW Ambassador
    Any one used a company called Ad Market Place .. Any experiences with them?

ABW Ambassador
    I should have seen this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&start=10&sa=N before asking!.

I met the Ad Market Place at ASW and one guys was following/chasing me since then. I have not paid much attention so far and now that I did find some info above, I shall stay away!.

I can't believe I talked with this company on and off for over a month. Perhaps I should not trust blindly every company that exhibited at ASW !

Thanks @Dani - I'm not at that spend level yet, but I'll make a note about being careful/doing as much research beforehand.

@Rollerblader - yup, I already got the sense about Affiliate networks not 'liking' certain ad networks, but I'm assuming that if I pay attention to their blacklists, I should be ok?

PS> DTM = Direct to Merchant?
    Last edited by kjh; March 12th, 2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: re-phrased question

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    However, just last week (I think on Wednesday) we paid $1,500 to WickedFire (sorry -- I know they're a competing forum!) for an (almost) exclusive 728x90 banner spot in rotation with only one other. It should still be running there, though only for another 24 hours or so.

While I thought this would have been a great investment, sadly, it wasn't. In the last week, nothing has changed in terms of our affiliate sign-ups, so it was really some cash that could have been spent elsewhere.
    That's because your service doesn't deliver on it's product. Although most of the people there probably didn't actually try it, they probably just sensed you guys were full of it.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...ight=alphahype

Wow! This turned ugly fast. Back on topic though. Our company has purchased many types of media. I think the type of advetising to focus on really depends on your target market. Most of the people on this site focus on the free stuff for very good reasons. It Works! It does take alot more time to setup but it delivers time and time again. If you want to be the most effective do tons of research on your customer. Figure out where they spend their time and be there. You need to become your customer and think like they do. You will then have to do some trial advertising to figure out what is effective and what is not. There isn't just one solution to this since every market is different. I'm sure banner ads are very effective in many situations but in some they are worthless. I think this is why everyone in the Affiliate world really likes the free stuff is that if your marketing in one area is not effective they aren't out any money just time.

The other thing to consider is that each site and each advertisement will have a different click through and conversion rate.

If the same ad was posted here at ABW and at WickedFire, the difference in conversion rates could have been the audience (much more PPC, spammy affiliates at WickedFire) or it could have been the placement.

Because of this, I wouldn't do any type of large media buy unless I could test it dirst and make a few changes to test what works best. If something works in a limited test, then I would consider a larger purchase.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread