View Poll Results: Which domain might best work for a Hotel Booking Affiliate Program?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bookable.com

10 25.64%
  • RoomPrices.com

24 61.54%
  • Both (if possible)

2 5.13%
  • Neither, it's a waste of time

1 2.56%
  • Who cares?

2 5.13%
    POLL: Opinions, please, on which domain might best fit a Hotel Booking affiliate site
    With our background in travel/destination sites we are toying with the idea of developing an affiliate program for "hotel reservations" and have two domains in consideration. We would certainly appreciate your response(s) to the poll and the posting of any comments, critiques, ideas.

To which would you prefer sending your traffic (if you have such traffic)? Or would you have another suggestion (or a domain to sell us - for cheap, or not so cheap).

If you want to tell us we are just plain crazy for trying to move into such a crowded space. We need to hear that, too.

Thank you for you help.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The second one is better than the first one by miles, just by virtue of the fact that the name by itself "says what it is". The first one is very general.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    I just did a trends report on both and there is search volume for #1 but not for #2. (http://www.google.com/trends?q=Bookable%2CRoomPrices)

I have had good results using trends to determine search volume strength of domain names before I buy.

Just something to think about...

Edit:
    I may be wrong - here is another trend graph with the words seperated:
    http://www.google.com/trends?q=Booka...ate=all&sort=0

Sorry - I am just confusing things here... the trend is now leaning toward #2.

I'll be the contrarian here. I think Bookable.com is very brandable. It's a single word, easily spelled, shorter, and although it's not at obvious as RoomPrices.com that it's for hotel booking, it doesn't come as a surprise. It's also more memorable. When I was typing this post, I had to scroll back up to make sure I got RoomPrices.com right. I almost typed RoomRates.com instead.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have to agree with Mr. Contrary, I also think that Bookable.com is very brandable. While roomprices.com says what it is, my mind is filled with bookable.com logo ideas, slogans, maybe even a jingle for when you're huge and have your own tv commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'll be the contrarian here. I think Bookable.com is very brandable. It's a single word, easily spelled, shorter, and although it's not at obvious as RoomPrices.com that it's for hotel booking, it doesn't come as a surprise. It's also more memorable. When I was typing this post, I had to scroll back up to make sure I got RoomPrices.com right. I almost typed RoomRates.com instead.
    That's EXACTLY what I thought when I first saw the domains. Bookable.com, while it is a little vague as to what the site is about, is very brandable. I mean, if you saw the name Expedia.com and had no idea it was a travel site, would you guess it from the name? Probably not, but it's very brandable.

I recall reading a Sugarrae post recently that Loxly mentioned about getting brandable domains and not keyword rich domains and I think in this case it makes sense.

RoomPrices.com would make a good domain for an affiliate site.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    I have to agree with Mr. Contrary

In my opinion...........My stay in your town is "Bookable" with bookable.com
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Both good but for branding, I like Bookable.com better. RoomPrices.com, would keep and use as well. Lots of possibilities. Could be a feeder type site. Could be a hotel room price search engine, powered by Bookable, results being Bookable.com etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Both good but for branding, I like Bookable.com better. RoomPrices.com, would keep and use as well. Lots of possibilities. Could be a feeder type site. Could be a hotel room price search engine, powered by Bookable, results being Bookable.com etc.
    What a great idea!

Hate the bookable one, not a little I hate it a lot. I am thinking books when I hear that name and I dont see it as a brand either.

Roomprices is a little better as it what the site is about. I would be looking for a new domain altogther.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    If branding is important, find a different domain than bookable. For branding, like expedia, you don't need booking or prices or hotels in the name

For affiliate site, room prices should do well.

Any other opinions? We'd sure like to hear them.

We should know more next week, but I'm thinking it may be possible to offer more than one "landing" site and domain for a potential affiliate program. If indeed that is possible, I can envision affiliates having two or more choices of theme (look and feel) to which their potential customers can be sent.

BTW, from what I understand, the largest European site for hotel reservations is "Booking.com."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Any other opinions? We'd sure like to hear them.

We should know more next week, but
    I'm thinking it may be possible to offer more than one "landing" site and domain for a potential affiliate program. If indeed that is possible, I can envision affiliates having two or more choices of theme (look and feel) to which their potential customers can be sent.

BTW, from what I understand, the largest European site for hotel reservations is "Booking.com."
    Hmmm...I don't believe I've ever quoted myself before.

I looks like we WILL be able to offer both domains (Bookable dot com & RoomPrices dot com) to which affiliates can send potential customers. They will also have differing color schemes. In fact, we may eventually end up with a variety of sites that may be used. We already have a couple of "niche" city markets that might work.

I need to begin another thread to see what you, as an affiliate, would like to see in a hotel reservations program.

I prefer roomprices.com. Bookable just doesn't seem to be on target. You can book a flight, a show, a reservation at a restaurant. So bookable.com simply will not work.

Looks like it will be BOTH.

One has been online for a few weeks now and has been showing some nice conversions, and the other has just been put online. We would like to "open" with at least two "choices" for affiliates, with easy deep linking available for each. We still need testing of tracking code and creation of marketing collateral (yet) and finishing the deep-linking tool. So, the official launch is still a ways off.

I also have a nicely converting personal site that we may be able to modify and open up to affiliates; and possibly a couple of "state-specific" sites that may work. (Anybody have sites focusing on New Hampshire, Maryland and/or Virginia?)

One of the advantages of working with hotel reservation sales is that there is no worry about "Amazon Tax" situations. Taxes, which can be really screwy in the hospitality industry, have always been handled through the booking consolidator.

We do have one affiliate helping us test things under a "private" agreement. Might be able to work with one more soon...

Hey Bill, best of luck with the new program!

Bookable makes me think of "bookable offense", but still great for branding. I like RoomPrices best, but both will work. Don't suppose you'll have any white label options? I'd like to get some of our hotel domains back up and running.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

White label? Maybe - but not for a while. We are targeting this program to the new(er) hotels affiliates who may be looking to get into hotels/hospitality/travel. If enough volume is produced, then yes, we can arrange for white labeling (through our supplier).

One of the reasons we are targeting the new-to-hotels affiliate is potential it has as a viable backup for some of the people affected by the "Amazon Tax" changes that are going on. Hotels are not affected by that - because taxes have always been charged and paid to the local jurisdictions. The vagaries in sales taxes are weird, but the addition of room taxes and/or entertainment taxes make this a nightmare - but has always been taken into consideration by the hotel consolidators. Taxes/fees are usually listed as a separate item in the sales process in the cart. People are used to it and it doesn't seem to hurt sales.

Looks like you're on your way now!! Good luck with it Bill. superCool will be joining someday. he'd also like to join girlychecks if you had a more manly name . unfortunately superCool doesn't do chick sites...yet

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Bookable.com - sound OK but not catchy.. sound like a booking engine for dinners, which should be a good idea
    RoomPrices.com - Sound like a price comparison engine like PRICECOMPARISON.com

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    Looks like you're on your way now!! Good luck with it Bill. superCool will be joining someday. he'd also like to join girlychecks if you had a more manly name . unfortunately superCool doesn't do chick sites...yet
    Tell superCool, "Thank you." for us. It was nice of him to wish us luck. Also let him know that he might do well to take a look at the "non-girly" Business Checks program. It's in my sig but will (very) soon be "announced" with a Paid Program Announcement here at ABW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    Bookable.com - sound OK but not catchy.. sound like a booking engine for dinners, which should be a good idea
    RoomPrices.com - Sound like a price comparison engine like PRICECOMPARISON.com
    Thanks for the feedback, Eric. Much appreciated. The idea is to give our (potential) affiliates a choice.

I don't think that roomprices.com is inherently more specific, I think give the same amount of association with hotels to room as a I do book.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Bill, I voted for RoomPrices but then I read Michael's post and the others, and I am 100% undecided.

I am assuming this is intended to be a multi-million dollar venture.

If that is correct, I would recommend doing some polling and focus groups. These days you can easily do enough of that for less than $1,000. In fact, if the discrepancy between the two is vast enough, you can do it for free with friends and family. OK, $100 - buy them food.

Without going into the details, I was a part of acquiring another company years ago. The company we acquired did about $240,000 in revenue per year. They were acquired in terms that amounted to over $3.25 million.

On the surface this was terrible math. Typically companies go for about 4-6 times annual revenue.

However, the company never marketed themselves. The name was it. They had almost 100% name recognition despite spending $0 on branding.

I think it was summed up when I mention the possibility to my mother and she said "oh they are huge" when in fact they weren't.

Ultimately you need to find out the following:

What is the current brand recognition of the two?
    If you run ads for each, which one is more memorable 20 minutes later? 2 days later?
    Which one has the least confusion?

That is more geared towards branding, but I hope it helps.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I know you've already decided, but just to add my measly 2 cents: I don't care which one. As long as it's a good program, the name of the site is one of the least important parameters for me.

In fact, re-considering it - as an affiliate, I prefer to work with a domain that's less memorable/brandable. I don't want surfers to remember the domain name, I want them coming back through my site.

Quote Originally Posted by Anat View Post
    I know you've already decided, but just to add my measly 2 cents: I don't care which one. As long as it's a good program, the name of the site is one of the least important parameters for me.

In fact, re-considering it - as an affiliate, I prefer to work with a domain that's less memorable/brandable. I don't want surfers to remember the domain name, I want them coming back through my site.
    (Bolding by me.)
    Good point. Thank you for the response.

That is also one of the reasons we will offer a "choice" of landing sites.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread