Affiliate Manager HolyLandStone's Avatar
    Acceptance/Rejection Email Best Practices
    Hey guys

I was looking for the best way to create standard letters of acceptance/rejection for our affiliate program. Is there a set of rules that we should know?

Thanks

Moderator Note: I've moved this to the Affiliate Manager section of the forum, particularly to the Merchant Best Practices sub-forum.

For acceptance, it's important to point them to everything they might need to get started. Datafeeds, coupons, banners, unique selling points, etc. Also, some of the most effective AMs and OPMs include an activation bonus with their acceptance letter. It's much easier to get them to put your links up right away than it is later.

For rejections, one best practice is to explain the reasons they may have been rejected and suggest that the affiliate contact you with more details if they would like for you to reconsider.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

does that mean that standard letters are not a good idea?

No, you should be do all of that with a "bulk" acceptance email and rejection email.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLandStone
    does that mean that standard letters are not a good idea?
    I think when Michael says to include "reasons they may have been rejected", I think he means you should list your general criteria that would lead you to reject a site, not sending a personalized reason for each affiliate.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Agree with all of the above..

If there is a site that stands out, you may want to attach a personal note.

I once received a surprising rejection (standard vague wording) - but they attached a personal comment that they were only accepting affiliates who were physically located in the USA (I'm in Canada). Made all the difference.

Is there a general criteria, or is it depending on the company?

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Agree with the above. I also include a brief thing in my rejection notices that says something to the effect that we get a lot of applications and in reviewing their site I may not have been able to see their vision for marketing our products ontheir site so to please contact me with additional info if they disagree with my decision.

I've yet to have anyone take me up on it

Great wording, Bonnie!

From what I've heard from other AMs and OPMs who do that, very few respond but the ones that typically do are almost always accepted and do well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    says something to the effect that we get a lot of applications and in reviewing their site I may not have been able to see their vision for marketing our products ontheir site so to please contact me with additional info if they disagree with my decision.
    If you ask for vision of marketing before acceptance... is it too much to ask before being accepted?
    I was wondering if any AM ask for an email or some requirement before accepting the affiliate?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    For rejections, i don't recommend giving a laundry list of possible rejection points as it really upsets the affiliates. Just apologize for rejecting their application as you do not see their site as a good fit. Offer to give a reconsideration upon request. 99% will not bother but the few that do are most likely affiliates you want to work with. Even if you find their site in a underdevelopment state it is worth accepting as they showed interest. Now you have a 1:1 relationship and can use that to develop a newbie.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyLandStone View Post
    If you ask for vision of marketing before acceptance... is it too much to ask before being accepted?
    I was wondering if any AM ask for an email or some requirement before accepting the affiliate?
    We generally send a note to sites that we don't immediately see as a good fit through the network interface and if the affiliate gives us a reasonable site or plan, then we approve them. For rejecting outright bad fits we have an email that encourages them to contact us if they would like to be reconsidered.

Works for us
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    We generally send a note to sites that we don't immediately see as a good fit through the network interface and if the affiliate gives us a reasonable site or plan, then we approve them. For rejecting outright bad fits we have an email that encourages them to contact us if they would like to be reconsidered.

Works for us
    Thanks!!! Great idea... will apply it

Affiliate Manager Mark-RockCreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    For rejections, i don't recommend giving a laundry list of possible rejection points as it really upsets the affiliates. Just apologize for rejecting their application as you do not see their site as a good fit. Offer to give a reconsideration upon request. 99% will not bother but the few that do are most likely affiliates you want to work with. Even if you find their site in a underdevelopment state it is worth accepting as they showed interest. Now you have a 1:1 relationship and can use that to develop a newbie.
    Agreed here with Chuck; this has worked well for us, and usually when people get back in touch they can explain what they're thinking and where they plan to go from what you have already seen. Some of those we initially rejected have become great affiliates for us.
    Mark McKnight
    Rock/Creek

My website uses SAS and we currently have the affiliate approval set to automatic. There have been a couple of instances where I have had to manually decline an affiliate as their site was lewd and not something I wanted our business affiliated with. Does anyone know what happens in terms of messages sent to that affiliate? Do they get our automatic welcome message since we auto-approve and then they get the declined message?

Edit Settings >> Reply Email Text: Sent to your Affiliates when they are DECLINED for your program

Perfect. Thanks Chuck!

Outsourced Program Manager Paul Schroader's Avatar
    Tell me CJ's working on a similar feature. I suggested it to them a number of years ago, but never heard back on it.
    Paul Schroader
    PS Web Solutions, Inc.
    Phone: 800.823.2602 | email: pauls at pswebsolutions.com | Y!: pswebdude

With CJ the reject email is automated by the network and you can not modify.

Outsourced Program Manager Paul Schroader's Avatar
    You would think that wouldn't be that tough of a fix. The potential benefit to everyone involved should make it a no-brainer. Hmmm.

The word on the street is that GAN will add a bunch of upgrades this quarter.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread