Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Joomla
    Just starting to read about Joomla. Opinions? Is there something better? Granted this is free, I can not afford to purchase anything at the moment.

Depends a lot on what you want to do with Joomla as to whether it's good or something else would be better.

I've never been able to figure out Joomla well enough to use it for anything. That's perhaps just me.

If you want a free blog software, simply download WordPress from wordpress.org and use that. Can't beat it.

Many of us have found ways to use WP for content sites that are primarily dynamic websites and look or function very little like blogs. So WP can be extremely useful for a variety of things.
    Generate more fake news.

Going with Gary on this one..I tried playing with it years ago and found it difficult to use. Back then my coding knowledge was a bit to be desired. I believe some of the good folks here at ABW do use Joomla though.

I, too, have to go along with what Gary and Beachcom stated. I also explored with Joomla a while back but found it was more trouble that what it would be worth to me; for what it is that I do, that is. YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I know some people who really love it but I too had a hard time and gave up on it.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

So WP can be manipulated to look and feel like non-blog sites? If that is the case then I will stick with WP 'cause I'm already familiar with it. Just need to teach myself more about it.

I guess my needs are to promote a product to sell on etsy, and I also have some niche ideas for affiliate marketing.

Like the others I tried Joomla and didn't like it. It also seemed to take up a lot of server resources compared to WP. If you decide that you want to take WP to another level a new book that is out called WordPress Bible by Aaron Brazell might be something you want to take a look at. I am just starting it so I can't recommend it yet, but it does cover things far beyond the "add template, add plugin" stuff that most books on WP have.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I tried Joomla when 1.5 (I think) was in beta. It seemed that tasks that should have been easy required a few more steps than they should have needed, but it was not a bad system.

Making WordPress act like it isn't a blog takes quite a lot of work too. I guess it depends on what you want to make it do and how you define blog. You can exclusively make "pages" instead of posts and make a different home.php, disable comments, etc...
    I stuck with WordPress, but I might try Joomla again to appreciate WordPress more :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    So WP can be manipulated to look and feel like non-blog sites? If that is the case then I will stick with WP 'cause I'm already familiar with it. Just need to teach myself more about it.
    Yes.
    This is my second favorite thing about WP. My first is how easy it it to change content.

I have also tweaked my WP blog to be a non-blog site. Some themes are easier than others to do so, but once you have gotten the hang of your basic blog and know what the files are for, you will see similar file names in other themes and it'll get easier. The one thing I like is that there are so many plugins in WP to add to your site to make it work the way you want. Cannot compare with Joomla as I have never tried it but seeing the comments here, don't think I need to

Affiliate Manager
    I have a joomla site. There was a bit of a learning curve but once you get past that It is great. It's easy to add new modules to do new things. They easily integrate with your existing site with few changes. There is a blog plug in for joomla, you can use video, audio, forums, shopping carts,etc etc.

I also have a DotNetNuke site and it's easy to work with too.

Either one would be a good choice.

I'll join the chorus voting against Joomla. I chose it for my blog last year, but in hindsight I should have gone with WordPress; my decision to look at Joomla and Drupal instead was based on a misunderstanding of WordPress' capabilities (which are very broad, with an immense community providing resources). Administering Joomla was much more complex and requires a real transformation of how you view web content and site structure.

This year, I've migrated my blog over to WordPress, and I'm generally satisfied (I still need to finish "winding down" the old blog site, adding redirects to the correct article pages at the new site).

Joomla is overkill for a blog, but if you want a site that can have a blog, sections, photos, newsletter, calendar, user management, and pretty much anything else you might want, then Joomla (or Drupal) are great solutions. I set up a Joomla site for my daughter's school PTA (not that they are updating it regularly) and we have used Drupal for most of our last few sites (including uBuildApp).

These are content management systems, not just blog sites.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

I created many affiliate sites in Joomla. I believe it is the right tool for it also. One huge reason is better SEO recognition. However, you need to be patient for that but soon enough Joomla will do its part. I compared 2 sites one with full optimization and one completely without. The one with after 3 months got avergae of about 50 uniques a day and one without about 17. That is precisely the reason why I go with Joomla every time.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    So WP can be manipulated to look and feel like non-blog sites?
    Yes. You can make a WordPress "blog" look and function like any other site by implementing drop-down menus with pages and sub-pages for static content. So you use a theme that has a top menu, create primary pages for each menu item, and then create more pages with each primary page as its parent. And you create "pages" here, not posts. With these drop-down menus you can easily create 30 static pages, all well organized and easy to find, just like a "non-blog" site.

The advantage of a blog, however, is you can then also create posts on an ongoing basis to provide updates. In your posts, make good use of categories and tags. (Judiciously use the tags - only use tags that specifically apply to your post) Include a tag cloud widget on your side bar. Visitors can then find posts related to specific categories or keywords (tags).

With respect to Joomla, it looks like overkill. Unless you need the features of Joomla, WP seems to be the better option.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Many of the members on our website use wordpress to create "static" websites. Wordpress isn't just for blogs; it all depends on what theme and plugins you use.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

So WP can be manipulated to look and feel like non-blog sites?
    Short answer, yes!

I am an avid WP user and developer. And most of my sites are websites, not blogs. Overall WP can do just about any and everything.

That being said, the one area that I would consider Joomla over WP might be ecommerce. Joomla integrates easier than WP and options there are greater. The same could be said if you also use vBulletin forum software.

Most people are going to recommend based on what they know how to use. I know WP. But I have also learned that it is more important to ensure that a client gets the site that they need over me getting the job (that also may be why I still need more clients, lol). Regardless, in this case, it really does depend on what you want your site to do.

So Joomla would be preferred for a merchant site? My wife wants to sell her applique t-shirts, so I am going to handle the IT side of things. Also any ideas on a good shopping cart?

So Joomla would be preferred for a merchant site?
    For an online store, likely.

My wife wants to sell her applique t-shirts, so I am going to handle the IT side of things. Also any ideas on a good shopping cart?
    This will depend on which platform you build the site on. In addition, this is one area I would spend money for a premium plugin or add on for. Here is a list of ones that I have heard of and some of which I have used.

For WP (google: ecommerce plugins):
    WP-Ecommerce
    Shopp
    QuickShop
    eShop
    PayPal
    YAK

Others:
    Magento
    Joomla! eCommerce
    VirtueMart

There are a lot of them out there. I am sure that others will have more options.

IMHO, the problem is that they are hard to tell if they will do what you need until after you buy them and try them.

Joomla and Drupal would both be great free (mostly open source) solutions for an e-commerce site. Joomla seems to be less technical, but I have used both. Drupal is really easy to add content to a page because the edit button is right there. Joomla is great for managing the site and contents because it is all sorted and viewable.

I'm sure once you are over the learning curve, either will work. Both have themes which give you layouts and menus. Upload a new theme, click a button, and you have a completely new site with the old contents.

Joomla has modules that are free and fee based. If you want an email list as part of the site, I think Joomla makes it easier and has more options. Drupal was not easy to go and email users. With Joomla I installed Acajoom and was ready to go. The same company has some e-commerce plug ins that range from $67 to $320. They even have bundles of enough components to build the entire store and management. I see they now have iAffiliate too. A good starting point for Joomla is http://joomlashack.com

If you go Drupal, it is a lot easier to find free components, as they are all listed at drupal.org. Modules: http://drupal.org/project/modules, Themes: http://drupal.org/project/themes
    EPage.com

I was thinking about going with PayPal, but I guess I can take a look at the WP and Joomla specific ones as well.

I forgot the Joomla equivalent of Drupal.org which is Joomla.org. They have a plug in list, and there are e-commerce plug ins and you can see if they mention PayPal (I bet most do).
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensi...ayment-systems
    http://drupal.org/project/modules?text=paypal
    EPage.com

Thanks alot everyone! I am starting to get a good feel for where to go. We started listing shirts on etsy a week ago and no sales yet. My wife is getting very discouraged, but she has sold a dozen and has an order for one more through co-workers. Which means she has good work, just need to learn how to promote it online. We want to do our own thing and not rely on etsy.

Sorry, did not mean to get off topic, but this is the most help I have gotten thus far.

We are switching one of our sites right now from WP to Joomla for eCommerce, Gallery and forum. I expect to be learning Joomla soon Being the die hard WP fanatic, that is difficult for me, but I am actually looking forward to the challenge (and comparable similarities) of Joomla vs WP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast