ok, I am about to makea purchase and have some questions which I know users here will be able to help me with.

1. Is it worth the extra money to go up to the 800 FSB motherboards?

2. Is it worth the extra money to go up to the 400MHz vs 333MHz RAM?

3. If I do go up to these components, looks like a Dell is almost as cheap as my local computer stores! yikes! And it comes preinstalled with software and a backup disk etc.. (I can probable do the same thing with Norton Ghost on a generic PC).

4. Is XP home stable or would I have to go up to Pro to get that stability?

I understand that biger is alwasy faster but it also comes with a price. I am not one to always need the biggest or the best. This PC wil be used to manage websites (Golive, Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc..) and of course email, make DVD's, VCD's (slideshows and possibly home movies... but this is not a big deal, as long as it works, I can live with the slightly lower speed). I am looking at Pentium 4 2.4 or 2.8 or so.

I have not been following PC hardware for some time and would really appreicate some feedback. Stability is a big concern of mine.

Here are 2 systems I am consiering, Any feedback on Intel vs AMD?

http://www.genericcomputer.bc.ca/sys...ck_xp2800.html

http://www.genericcomputer.bc.ca/sys...ack_p428c.html

I have Win Home Edition on one of my computers. I used it for 4-5 months now and never had any problems. (Never seen the "blue screen of death").

51 views and only 1 reponse? Come on people hehe

ABW Ambassador
    Win XP is nice if you have never used it. Much more stable and user friendly IMO. As far as the processor and memory goes, you can always see a lot of benchmarks at www.tomshardware.com. I haven't really checked on memory there, but they do have a lot of charts for processors and such. Also, Dell has some kind of 10% sale right now and some have mail in rebates. The lower end models seem cheap. The higher end models can easily be much cheaper by building it yourself if you have the know how. My girlfriend doesn't play many games, so we weren't looking for the best system at dell, but we had a fairly decent setup that we looked at with a 17" flat panel monitor, cordless mouse and keyboard, DVD-ROM and such for a around 830 to 900 or so (can't remember the exact price) after the sale and a mail-in rebate I think.

Alright, I've rambled and that probably didn't help much, but you haven't had many responses so I figured I'd kick the ball around a bit.
    I forgot what I was doing.

Buy a Mac.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Thanks for the reply dapyx, bpal and NOT joey

I think I am going to go with a local computer store, this way, I can customize and know which parts I am getting. ie. I can choose let's say a harddrive with 8MB of cache rather than 2MB of cache. Dell is still a bit more expesnive. Just call me mr cheapy!

XP home does not come with PWS so if you want to run up a web server then XP Pro will give you full IIS

On the other hand you can always run Apache.

Les

Thanks Websmith, I appreciaet the info. Luckily running PWS is beyond me

Really, look at the Mac's,you won't be disappointed, and you use it as a server too.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ eyiproducts.com:
    I think I am going to go with a local computer store ... Dell is still a bit more expesnive. Just call me mr cheapy! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been running XP Home since before it came out (installed on a new HP) and it's been flawless. Remarkably so. I've owned home grown, local systems, Sony, & the HP. The local guy was good when I used him, but he got too expensive awhile back.

Anyway, I decided to go with a Dell 8300 this time around, as they had the right combo of incentives last week (bigger harddrive, more memory and free shipping - edit: and 10% off too, almost forgot that!). I don't know if the 800Mhz FSB on the 8300 is going to be a big difference from that on the cheaper systems, but it seemed prudent to go with faster.

Well if you are worried about down time and repair, Dell has next day or even same day repair service. Just had an under warranty comp in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for the manufacturer to send new simms or rimms or whatever they call memory chips these days. This was a month old computer that came with a virus preinstalled. You know that cheap brand that they sell at Micro Center.

XP Home is OK for site building. I've been on it and no real problems. I would go with the fastest computer you can get. More memory, More Memory. AMD has a faster CPU architecture. Get a good fast video card too.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had great stability with my XP Home system. Badly written game code is a much bigger problem. But the OS hasn't crashed "on its own."

As for speed, nothing makes a difference like more RAM! Although I didn't notice much difference between 1/2 GB and 1 GB, when I had a computer with *less* than 1/2 GB it was quite a bit slower.

I've got a VPR Matrix with P4 (3.06 Ghz), a full 1 GB RAM and a NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 video card (128 megs video RAM) right now. It's also got RAID striping over 2 disks. It's overkill for most things but games are a lot smoother and also WebMerge runs a lot faster on it. It seems to write files to disk as fast as WM can punch them out. Another benefit is that it won't be truly obsolete for a long time, even though it's already not the "latest thing" anymore.

When I bought this computer I compared the prices between VPR Matrix and Dell, and at that time Dell was charging almost 2x as much for nearly the same thing!! Needless to say I wasn't enticed to get a Dell.

Edit--The CPU fan did die a while ago. That part should have lasted for the life of the computer. But it wasn't any problem to install a new one, and they're not expensive. Going to the store to get it was a pain but no more of one than going out to get anything else! I'd still get this kind again.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    The CPU fan did die a while ago. That part should have lasted for the life of the computer. But it wasn't any problem to install a new one, and they're not expensive. Going to the store to get it was a pain but no more of one than going out to get anything else! I'd still get this kind again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea they should last longer, my HP CPU fan is dying an intermittent death, hence my ordering the new Dell. But, after the Dell arrives I'll drop a new fan in the HP and have it as a back-up/secondary system that replaces the current very old Celeron that serves that purpose now.

Hey thanks for all the feedback! Much appeciated.

Looks like I will go with the local shop and do a P4 2.8, 80 gig 8MB cache HDD, ATI 128 RAM dual monitor video card, and 512 400MHz RAM. And go for XP Home based on the good feedback here.

Now, if I can only part with my money more easily. I am just not built that way

Thanks again!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread