Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Banging Head On Wall
    Ack, so frustrated. I've spent the last day working on this PC issue, I'm ready to hurl the computer off a rooftop.

For some reason, my computer decided that it would like to stop accessing secure pages ( 'https' ) . Like, oh, paypal, cj, etc. I cannot use my EDI software to send or receive invoices, advance shipment notices, etc.

I've tried clearing out every possible variable, I've tried to remove trend micro, and it argued with me for half the day, I've tried to turn the firewall off, remove recent updates from microsoft, I've run several different anti spyware applications, nothing.

WHen you google 'can't access secure pages' there are a million responses, but none of those answers helped.

I was up most of the night working on this, just frustrated.

I don't know how it can go from being fine to misbevaving like this without me touching it, arghhh.

Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

If you're using Firefox, try IE.
    OR in FF go to Tools > Options> Advanced > Encryption and make sure that both protocols are checked.

Thanks, 2busy. Tried firefox with no luck. Worked on it for a day and a half, then gave up and took it to someone smarter than I.

Do you know if a browser update may have coincided with the problem?

That's what I was suspecting, that perhaps ie updated in the background and 'flipped some switch', but I could not find any indication of an update. I did remove the last several updates, just in case, I went back to a previous restore point, I removed an anti virus package, I reset all security parameters to default, then lowered security, I turned firewall off and back on, I cleaned cookies, removed temp files, ran 3 different anti virus programs, and then started clicking randomly under 'tools, options, advanced',lol. On the upside, there are no virusses on the dang thing.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek View Post
    That's what I was suspecting, that perhaps ie updated in the background and 'flipped some switch', but I could not find any indication of an update. I did remove the last several updates, just in case, I went back to a previous restore point, I removed an anti virus package, I reset all security parameters to default, then lowered security, I turned firewall off and back on, I cleaned cookies, removed temp files, ran 3 different anti virus programs, and then started clicking randomly under 'tools, options, advanced',lol. On the upside, there are no virusses on the dang thing.
    Geez, you were sure thorough. I'm not sure what more could be done...

Hey, I feel a little better, the company I took my PC to has been wrestling with the issue since last thursday, lol. I am up and running on a replacement now, at least.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    let us know what you figure out! I hate things like that. Had a computer once that had a mind of it's own. Ended up having to reformat it due to something else... and voila! All of these hokey pokey workarounds for wierd things were gone. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    Had a computer once that had a mind of it's own. Ended up having to reformat it
    And that's what may have to be done to your computer, elbowcreek, if worse comes to worst. Hope you have backups of your files and whatnots....

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread