Cost Estimate for Outsourcing Aff Site Dev Using Wordpress + Datafeed + Jumpscripts
    Forgive me. I'm somewhat new to "actually doing" affiliate markeing but I've sure as heck been reading about it for ~a decade. (I do domains. Argh. Boring.)

I imagine that the work I need performed, which I assume mirrors what many affiliate marketers "do" when it comes to website design and development, would include:

1. Download and "work with" a company's product "data feed", i.e., use the datafeed to set up a MySQL database that has the related fields and data. Be able to set up queries to pull the data and create posts/pages containing that data - PLUS any copy/copywriting that I add to unique-ify the datafeed.
    2. The developer would use that data feed to choose/select "categories" for the products, which categories will be used to create Wordpress categories - used for navigation, archiving, etc.
    3. Populate the data to those categories "as posts", in some cases, or possibly "Wordpress pages" in other cases. This would need to be automated, that is, generated by pulling the data from an on-site database populated by the merchant's data feed. It would be nice IF I was able to set up, in the database, custom fields for customized meta-descriptions, page titles, keywords.
    4. Set this up so that the site uses "jump pages" for the links to the products at the merchants site, allowing me to mask the affiliate links AND to track click-aways to the merchant.
    5. Set up a database to track the click-aways (clicks triggering the jump pages).
    6. I want the ability to select the products in the feed that will be used to generate pages. I don't want to "vomit the entire feed" into a site. In other words, IF the product feed is 1,000 products I may only want to feature 100 products or less.
    7. Some degree of customization/tweaking. IF "the system" (database integration) works well then chances are that the other "customzation" work will be limited or I will do the work. What I mean is that I need a price for the essential functionality I seek. Pricing for any other work - logos, header design, etc. - will be separate.

So, again, forgive me if the description is entirely lacking, ignorant, incomplete. I am an affiliate website developer virgin. I've read a lot about se . . err, affliate sites. I've seen many such sites. But never actually built one or had one built, so I don't know what to expect by way of cost(s) for setting up such a site.

Any advice, insights or guidance if greatly appreciated. Approximations of what it will likely cost to "get the essential functionality running" is what I'm after. I know I can spend as much as I want on customizations (logos, custom images, whatever).

Am I totally clueless in asking this? Am I only imagining that there is such a thing as a basic database driven site that would be developable for a not too great cost?

Cost estimates welcome.

Thanks.

Jeff
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

Please - I'm beggin' ya - don't thump me on the head and tell me the answer (to the cost question) is something like "How long is a piece of string", as the string in this case, appears to be abundant examples of so-called "thin affiliate" sites - at least in their core functionality.

I am a dope when it comes to what I'm asking about but thumps on the head should be reserved for those who arrive pretending they ain't a dope. I've already thumped myself, thank you very much.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I imagine that could be done for $200 to 500? Anyone else have an estimate?

IMHO There are free or low cost tools to do the same thing yourself. While $200 - $500 might get you a site all setup, what do you do when that merchant closes their program? Shell out another setup fee?

There isn't just one way to do anything so it's not like there's a "going price" to get a site set up. Even a datafeed site needs to be kept up to date so in the long run you are far better off learning to do it yourself, your own way. It's not like that setup fee is guaranteed to produce even one sale.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I am sorry I thought that was what you wanted was an estimate. Of course you can do it yourself for free (Except time).

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you want. Why dont you try doing it? Just move through the steps finding the method or tool. Then figure out the cost for those tools if any.

I am not sure if there are any really good csv importing plugins for free.

Once the whole path has a plan go ahead and start it.

I initially would say you are looking at a lot of $.

But then when I think of it I got a "system" built for $250 once: http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...questId=506382

It actually is still sort of what I use, but I've just self coded about 500 or 1,000 more in the evolution of my system. What I've learned is these low ball projects work assuming you can learn from the provided code and make the required updates, fixes and changes. The project will never really be done, and more than likely you can not afford to pay someone for the continual updates.

I feel this a good way to go if you have some knowledge of coding, you get over the hump and have an almost working app that you can then focus on customizing.

I'm slowly grasping that, when it comes to non-programmers/coders "imagining/wanting" coded solutions, there tends to be a chasm that requires more than an 'imaginery leap' - "I can imagine this will work" - to make the idea into a working solution.

Perhaps I SHOULD take a HINT from the FACT that, despite the HUGE popularity of Wordpress, I'm not aware of any popular solution for integrating affiliate data feeds and thereby publishing that data "as posts". I take it from that that such a solution MUST be really impossible or quite difficult to code.

I thought it might be "as simple" (:P) as . . . ah, nevermind.

Hi Beepbeep -

I'm a long-time programmer, just getting into the affiliate marketing thing. Been doing internet programming about 20 years. I'm not that familiar with wordpress, although I see that its really popular. I'm a .net guy. Finishing up freshlivemusic.com. It does basically what you stated but on .net. I've put a lot of hours into it, and it would easily run $5K-10K. Seems like I've seen some WordPress plugins out there for datafeeds. A canned system is less, of course. A custom system, more. Plan on $50 per hour, and find someone who's good at dev, then someone else who does great design. It's rare to find both skills in one person.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread