What's Going on with this...
    I hope it's just a test or a bug, because this doesn't look good!

I just notice that now you can't see The:
    What's Going On?
    Currently Active Users: 796 (88 members and 708 guests)
    thing, unless you're logged in........

What the hell is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

FWIW...

If you go to a forum and can't see how many members or guests are there unless you're logged in, it may look like a dead old forum... I think!

That's something I changed. It was primarily just to hide (only for spiders and lurkers) the list of members viewing ABW, a particular forum, or a particular thread.

Here was my reasoning:

1) Those usernames show up in the search engines, if a spider indexes a page while you're looking at it. I've searched for usernames in Google before (usually to try to research new members that look spammy) and ended up getting tons of fake hits due to this.

2) The lurkers really don't have any reason to know what members are reading what threads or forums or who is online.

For logged in members, the list of users shows just like it always has. The change only affects lurkers and spiders.

I don't think we have to worry about people thinking ABW is a dead forum. With hundreds of posts every day, it's very obviously alive.

If enough people think it's a bad idea or if anyone can give me a really good reason why it's better the other way, I can change it back. It's just three flags in the control panel.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

I think the change is for the better. If someone isn't a member, they don't need to know who's here, and google certainly doesn't need to know.

I know that I've done searches on user names that I use in other forums and have things show up that were supposed to be in a private forum. It's sort of a shocking reminder that what's said on the internet lives forever.

And I'll be the first to admit that I said some pretty stupid stuff years ago. Google occasionally reminds me of it.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    That's something I changed. It was primarily just to hide (only for spiders and lurkers) the list of members viewing ABW, a particular forum, or a particular thread.
    I like the new display since I'm using my real name.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    That sounds like a good idea, and I agree with that!

But, I think you got the wrong idea of what I posted above!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Here was my reasoning:

1) Those usernames show up in the search engines, if a spider indexes a page while you're looking at it. I've searched for usernames in Google before (usually to try to research new members that look spammy) and ended up getting tons of fake hits due to this.
    I know about the searching for usernames in Google before, part... I hate that fake hits craps, too...
    2) The lurkers really don't have any reason to know what members are reading what threads or forums or who is online.
    I agree with you on that one, 1000%!
    For logged in members, the list of users shows just like it always has. The change only affects lurkers and spiders.
    Here is where I think we disagree!

I'm not talking about the online.php, link... That, I can deal with now, because now it says: [The administrator has disabled Who's Online.], and before it just used to say that: "You have no permition to, whatever..."

What I am talking about is the Numbers on this: [ Currently Active Users: 684 (61 members and 623 guests) ] part...

On that line, there is no usernames or any other identifiable stats to worry about "Who's on first" or what Who's reading what"
    I don't think we have to worry about people thinking ABW is a dead forum. With hundreds of posts every day, it's very obviously alive.
    Think about that one, as an outsider!
    If enough people think it's a bad idea or if anyone can give me a really good reason why it's better the other way, I can change it back. It's just three flags in the control panel.
    Look, I am no expert, but I can tell you this... (This may be an stupid example, but I have to make a point.) : "If enough people think it's a bad idea to eat meat, do you get rid of your Famous and Big BBQ Grill, you posted before?

------------
    Btw, one thing I like about your new idea, is that I no longer have to login in order to get my ABW fix....

Just think about this one!

Anyone can read the new post, without any: Login!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr. Sal; March 12th, 2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Forgot the attachment!

Yeah, but I feel a lot stronger about eating meat than I do about this change.

No, I understood what you meant. I was just disabling the display of the list of members, but the setting apparently also controls the display of the count of active users.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread