Question Screen Capture Software
    On my ancient laptop I used to use the Home/Print Screen button and Windows Paint to capture a screen shot.

The system doesn't work so well on my new hotrod computer with Windows 7 and I don't have the patience to figure it out. I just downloaded the free version of Jing by TechSmith. It worked well last night when I had to send something to Michael Coley. I don't see a downside to using this yet and I wasn't hit with any hidden costs or trial periods.

If this doesn't work out, what is the easiest way or what software would you recommend for simple screen shot saving?

Thanks.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

If you are using FireFox the ScreeenGrab@ addon works great. I'm not sure how it is with windows 7 but might be worth a try.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Thanks, but I use Google Chrome. Maybe I should look for a plugin there. Good idea.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Windows 7 has a really nice "Snipping Tool" that works great for capturing parts of the screen. You actually get to drag a box around just the portion you want captured. I used to use Prnt Scrn and Paint, too, but not it's just a single step.

I just upgraded to a new Dell laptop (my old HP with XP bit the dust) that has Windows 7, and I'm loving some of the new features.

One huge tip for Windows 7: Anything you want to find, just hit the Windows button and start typing the name. If it's the first thing listed, just hit enter and it'll load. Otherwise just click it or scroll down to it. For those of us who primarily use the keyboard rather than the mouse, this is such a timesaver.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've been using SnagIt from TechSmith for quite a wihle now and really like it. Let's up capture a whole browser window (no matter how much scrolling is involved) and can even keep hyperlinks in the capture.

Not sure what the price difference between it and Jing is. Probably depends on what types of stuff you screen capture.

I use Screengrab 0.96.2 too as a FF add on. It lets you save a whole page or define the are you want to save. Chrome is not a full featured browser, they made it light to be 'faster'.
    I hate to tell you MC, but that search feature is not new, it works the same way in Vista.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    For a nicer job on editing your print screen image, try Photoscape - it is free software available at photoscape.org - it is always one of the first things I will install on any new computer I get now.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    On my ancient laptop I used to use the Home/Print Screen button and Windows Paint to capture a screen shot.

If this doesn't work out, what is the easiest way or what software would you recommend for simple screen shot saving?

Thanks.
    Try IrfanView, it's free and it have many good tools to play around with pictures...

You use the Prt Scr button, and then paste the screen shot to IrfanView, from there you can do whatever you want with the screen shot image there...

That's the only program I use for screen shots... http://www.irfanview.com/

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Windows 7 has a really nice "Snipping Tool" that works great for capturing parts of the screen. You actually get to drag a box around just the portion you want captured. I used to use Prnt Scrn and Paint, too, but not it's just a single step.

I just upgraded to a new Dell laptop (my old HP with XP bit the dust) that has Windows 7, and I'm loving some of the new features.

One huge tip for Windows 7: Anything you want to find, just hit the Windows button and start typing the name. If it's the first thing listed, just hit enter and it'll load. Otherwise just click it or scroll down to it. For those of us who primarily use the keyboard rather than the mouse, this is such a timesaver.
    Which Dell did you get? I'm loving mine!!! And yes, the Snipping Tool is awesome. I have it pinned to the taskbar and bottom bar (You need windows 7 to see the beauty of that )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I hate to tell you MC, but that search feature is not new, it works the same way in Vista.
    I wondered if it might have. I totally skipped Vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Which Dell did you get? I'm loving mine!!! And yes, the Snipping Tool is awesome. I have it pinned to the taskbar and bottom bar (You need windows 7 to see the beauty of that )
    Kara and I picked up a pair of Inspiron 1545s for $499 each before Christmas. 500GB hard drives, 4GB memory, Windows 7, 15" screens. About a fourth the price of my last several laptops!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm in the trial of FastStone Capture and it really seems nice. It's $20, but not to bad as I use other FastStone free products that I really should have donated too.

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    I use Jing Snag It as well - it can also record video screencasts. Am trying Photoscape now to beef up screenshots taken, looks pretty neat (and cheap
    Howard Chai, Affiliate Manager
    Email: [email]affiliate@resumecompanion.com[/email]
    Website: [URL="http://resumecompanion.com"]ResumeCompanion.com[/URL]
    SAS Program Link: [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26342"]Join Now[/URL]

Gadwin PrintScreen - it's free, and the only tool I use now..

FastStone can capture an irregular area. I haven't seen a free one do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http and a telephoto
    Good resources in this thread!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I fell in love with this tool!

I have it pinned to the taskbar and bottom bar (You need windows 7 to see the beauty of that )
    I also have it pinned. Windows 7 definitely made some much needed upgrades. I would try what you have on your computer already before you go downloading a bunch of add-ons.

Evernote has a built-in screen capture utility. I use it all the time to copy or save portions of the screen, or sometimes just to bring up the cropping utility as it shows dimensions of the area being saved, so I can quickly measure part of a site to see what size banner will fit.

Oh, plus all the other cool features of Evernote which help keep my office only half-way messy, versus a total disaster area.

Wow! I never knew about that Snipping Tool with Windows 7. Awesome!
    Generate more fake news.

I found another good and free, image manipulation program...

mtPaint By: Mark Tyler's Painting Program.

It works on Vista.

If you want to capture a screen shot, just add a Shortcut (.lnk) to the Taskbar, and anytime you click on the Shortcut, you'll take an Screen shot and the program will open automatically with the screen-shot inside, ready to be manipulated...

You can read about more features, here: The mtPaint Handbook

I bought FastStone Capture 20 days prior to the trial ending. It comes with the best pixel ruler I have ever used and a great color picker that will work anywhere that you can see with your eye.

I'm getting more excited about FastStone. I have been emailing support on a problem with the PHP editor I use and they sent me a video showing how the problem doesn't happen on their end. I fired up the the Screen Video Recorder that is included with FastStone Capture, and was able to show them the problem on my installation. Very good quality .wmv file generated and with audio as an option. I just did the mouse clicks.

I'm also impressed how simple all 4 of the separate items included are to use. One of the best $20 software that I have ever purchased. It's starting to sound like I'll get a commission.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread