This is from an e-mail to a friend. I have been this merchant's number one affiliate for a very long time. The check was very late last month and caused me concern then, as well.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well, Here is the upshot of it. I have been paid. But, there was a lot of hassle. Apparently, they had my new address numbers reversed and the payment they sent, Goddess knows when, was returned to them.

I had received an e-mail from (name witheld) stating that it had been sent on the 15th but when it wasn't here on May 31, I called them and (name witheld) told me it had been sent on the 10th (red flag!) but that she would go to the grocery store and see about sending it by Western Union and either call or e-mail me with the details. That was early in the day. Well, I waited all day. No call. No e-mail. I waited all the next day. No call. No e-mail. So, that night I negotiated a deal with their competitor.

The next day, I got a call from (name witheld) saying they had gotten the check back and we discovered that the address was wrong. I asked her what had happened with the Western Union plan but she said that she "forgot"! Criminy, they knew I was sitting here worrying if I would ever see my money but she didn't have enough concern to even think about it after we got off the phone!

She then did send it Fed Ex and I received it.

Meanwhile, back at the site, I have taken down their (name witheld) links on one large site and I am prepared to swap out the rest.

The new guy is starting to get traffic that would have gone to (name witheld) in the past. I have saved all the (name witheld) pages and can easily put them back up. But, I want to see how well this guy converts because he has some nice things to his program such as paypal so checks don't get lost and a mail in form that gives the affiliate credit for use of those who don't like ordering on line.

I am a loyal person and don't like switching merchants but since paying the people who are here working to promote them every day is so low on their priorities that they can just forget about it or just pay when they get around to it, I must hedge my bets. I depend on this income.

Basically, I like both (name witheld) and (name witheld) and I am sure they have come to depend on the income I generate for them. I also believe that deep down they are honest. But, gee, what's a mother to do?

After sitting and waiting and wondering for a day and a half for a call that never came, I did what I felt I had to. Now, I have promises to a new merchant and I don't want to make myself out a liar to him, either.

This is sad since the original mistake on the address could have just as easily been from me misspeaking as it could have been from when she wrote it down.

So how are you?

Sandra
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To keep things in prespective, this was about a thousand bucks they were in to me for! The impact on their own income is sure to be noticed. I feel very bad about it all.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I wouldn't worry about it in the least, Sandra. In a way, you are a customer as well, and they certainly didn't keep your best interests in mind during this process.

Mistakes happen. No big deal. But when mistakes do happen, good communication is the key to having a satisfactory result, where everyone walks away happy, or an unhappy result, where the relationship is injured.

Money talks, and they will no doubt notice the absence of sales from your site. Perhaps then they will understand the importance of good communication, and they won't treat other affiliates the way they treated you.

Andy

Hey, my wife calls on the Goddess too.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

ABW Ambassador
    I've been burned many times by merchants going out of business.

If a merchant doesn't pay within a reasonable time, I drop them, with or without an alternative merchant. I will give them ample time to explain the delay and respond to it but after that, they get the boot, and I don't look back afterwards.

My tolerance for deadbeats is much less than it used to be and as a result, I rarely have payment problems now. There's enough good, sound merchants to work with so why put up with the pain of a deadbeat?

The reason that I am posting this is not to be given absolution. I need that for many worse infractions, Goddess knows. I am posting it to hopefully point out to merchants what can happen when affiliates are taken for granted, especially in the realm of prompt and courteous payment.

I do feel bad about all this, very bad. But, I would feel much worse to leave myself potentially a compliant victim and burden on myself, my children and society.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To keep things in prespective, this was about a thousand bucks they were in to me for! The impact on their own income is sure to be noticed. I feel very bad about it all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never really understood the problem(s) some emrchants have with paying their affiliates on time. Granted, I only send out 50-60 or so checks each month (so far), but with quickbooks, it only takes me about 20 minutes.

Erik

And, what merchants don't think about is that various affiliates in their program do talk to each other. They even become friends. Now, at least one other affiliate knows that they CAN find a replacement merchant and negotiate a deal if needed. The letter was to their second highest producing affiliate. Guess who he will be talking to the next time the checks are late?

This cavalier attitude about payment has repercussions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hey, my wife calls on the Goddess too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There are a lot more of us than they think there are. Blessed Be. And, may the Goddess always have an ear turned your way.

Well, there's no point in beating yourself up about it SSanf.

It sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding that could have been better handled at their end, certainly.

Why not re-instate your links to that merchant, with whom you have a good collaborative history, and build a new site for the new merchant, so you don't rescind on promises to him (and eventually you'll get two sets of commission...)

Well, part of the problem is that I used my good traffic and selling history on certain sites to negotiate a higher commission from the new merchant. I guess, I could take lower but I now have him up on one high traffic, high converting site. I could reverse that, I guess. But, I offered him the main site. I still have the old merchant there right now. I did tell him that he wouldn't have an exclusive, though. I do want to see how he does.

Today, I am weaving his products and the old merchant's products in and out of a fairly new site with, so far, low PR. I will push that site some more, as well, so I don't leave the old merchant entirely high and dry.

It is a bit of a pickle.

If the old and new merchants are together on the high volume site, and you've never used your success with the old merchant to leverage special rates, and you didn't promise exclusivity to the new merchant, I would say...leave as is.

Just don't feel bad about it. It was unfortunate, no-one's fault exactly....these things happen

It's all about risk management. If you think that one merchant is going off the rails and they've had problems in paying, then move some of the links away to minimise risk. Then if the old merchant gets it's act together, you can move the links back. If it goes belly up, then at least you have some eggs not in that basket.

It might be worth doing some financial research too.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread