http and a telephoto
    The West Side Highway is Like a River Right Now... (NYC)
    And so is my street! And it isn't high tide yet! Was planning to go into Manhattan tonight, but the high winds knocked over trees onto the train tracks and shortly thereafter onto all the major roads that lead off the island we live on.

Lights are playing disco (flashing on and off) and we are having sustained 30-40 mile an hour winds. Gusts are up to 70. JFK airport has confirmed the wind measuring equipment was blown down! Needless to say, no flights in or out.

Have all computers and external hard drives unplugged, using laptop and broadband card for now.

Hoping I don't have to swim to the corner... was going to video but the winds tried to take my camera away!

#wouldratherbeinVegasToday!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    OK, water is up over the sidewalks, lights are off, uploading some video. Lights were on when I was videoing, now they are mostly off.

My lights, desktop, (electricity in general) has been going off and on.
    We're having a rain storm too.
    The computer was shut off 4 times while I was trying to write a post in another sub-forum.
    I live outside of NYC in the City of White Plains [very close -- 1/2 hour train ride via Metro-North].
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wow, Debbie. Take care of yourself. Stay in - and just be thankful it's not cold enough for that to be frozen precipitation. Sounds like a good night for a glass of wine and some snuggling.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Take care guys and be safe! We had a few storms here in IN last night but nothing like that. We will be praying for you guys!

http and a telephoto
    High tide spiked and is receding, trying to load a video to youtube and broadband isn't cooperating...

winds aren't gone , power is still spotty, but as long as the water stays "at bay" in the bay, we should be fine.

And yes Bill, some of the neighbors are having little Saturday wine parties . Unfortunately I'm not a wine drinker and some of my meds won't let me indulge in alcohol anyway.

You should see the swamp that is NJ!

Yeah, best approach is to just sit tight inside and smoke a bowl or two.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    lol, yeah I can only imagine.

and lol at davidH

We *JUST* turned the TV back on cause the power seemed stable and BOOM - gone... I just wanted to get an update....
    Deborah Carney

Stay dry and warm. The satellite views show quite a large system pulling moisture up that way.

ABW Ambassador
    Debbie - Stay safe, dry and clear of the winds/storms. Hope this all gets cleared off much before I land up there on 22nd for SES!

http and a telephoto
    lol, it will be gone in a few days. Long Island is a mess, trains from philly up past Rhia7 are all messed up, many cancelled. No Amtrack from NYC to Philly, NJ Transit train stranded for 6 hours. 200k people without power at all, probably 200k more are like us with brown outs and flashing on and off.

Because of the extra moisture from all the unusual snowfall have made the ground soft which is making more trees vulnerable to the wind. Not only are branches breaking off of 100 year old trees, there are whole trees getting uprouted in NJ and LI.

Bunches of overseas flights headed to NYC were diverted to Boston....

We are also getting 10-12 foot storm surges... Isn't that what Hawaii was supposed to get??? There are rivers in NJ that aren't going to crest until tomorrow.

If we had gone to Manhattan, we were going up to the NY Botanical Garden tomorrow.... trains headed north that we would have taken are cancelled.... we might have been stranded had we gone there.

I just keep thinking of the movie The Day After Tommorrow.... weather all around the world is nuts the past couple months, plus the earthquakes. There isn't a fire department that is dispatched somewhere...

Look at this:

450,000 Without Power in Northeast

Customers from Long Island to the northern suburbs of New York City were in the dark as utility company crews worked to restore power. Consolidated Edison reported more than 80,000 without power in New York City and parts of Westchester County by about 7:30 p.m., while Long Island Power Authority had about 85,000 customers without electricity.

In New Jersey, Public Service Electric & Gas reported more than 135,000 customers without power, and Atlantic City Electric said more than 35,000 of its customers were in the dark.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...t=nytimesmetro
    I actually drove my car out earlier today, I'm glad no trees fell on top of me while driving.
    Some of the street lights looked as if they would fall.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The storm is headed our way next.

Lots and lots of rain right now, and expecting rain until Monday.

I should put my rain buckets outside if I had any...

Well, at least it's not snow...

http and a telephoto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XMg0x52Uw still processing, quality will be better later. I hear airplanes instead of wind posting now because I'm headed to bed.

ladidah, batten down the hatches, it isn't the rain that is the real issue! Although high tide in the AM might still be scary. The wind is causing all kinds of storm surges. Are you near the shore?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    We lost power this morning for about eight hours. Although we had high winds we didn't get the torrential rains that folks to our south got. Friends in SW CT reported last night that rural roads were blocked by downed trees. I haven't heard a peep from anyone in CT or NYC since last night so I'm assuming they've lost power as well.

March weather is crazy weather.

If I still lived in CT I'd be at the beach this morning looking for cool rocks that the waves plowed up and tossed onshore. After a nor'easter is the best time to go rock-hunting on a New England beach.

I hope everyone's okay.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    If I still lived in CT I'd be at the beach this morning looking for cool rocks that the waves plowed up and tossed onshore. After a nor'easter is the best time to go rock-hunting on a New England beach.
    lol, you probably couldn't *get* to the beach today, maybe tomorrow....

High tide and high river warnings and flood warnings in NYC and NJ through the day today, but the wind has subsided.
    Deborah Carney

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Yeah, best approach is to just sit tight inside and smoke a bowl or two.
    Best advice ever!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    We ended up with a little damage to our siding where a gate flew into it. There is a tree on the main blvd that fell in between 2 houses (tight fit and crushed a fence) but thankfully didn't go into the houses. LOTS of missing shingles, whole sections of roofs, fences down, "stuff" everywhere. We heard one house on the blvd had it's whole side ripped off, we didn't walk that far.

Everyone is out walking around town assessing the damage, the deli is doing a booming business, not because people needed stuff but because everyone was checking on everyone else. I do love living in a town where "everybody knows your name" and if not your name (I'm a relative newcomer), they know who you live with, where your house is and who your neighbors are.

Mayberry pulls together when they need to Last night when the tide was in the road, people checked on the older residents to be sure they had what they needed and their cars were out of harm's way. And yeah a few boats that were in the bay ended up in the streets They were back where they belonged by the time we went for a walk.

And at least our little island has power.

(The handyman neighbor is here having us design a flyer so he can get some of the roofing jobs )

Hey, Debbie, shingles can be replaced and a crushed fence can be put back up. The main thing is that you are both safe. We were concerned and are now thankful that you are all OK.

We were at our beach place and the wind/rain was rather intense Friday night into Saturday morning - but nothing like you had further up the coast.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Been keeping up with that noreaster over the weekend and have had you New Yawkers in my prayers.

Looked BRUTAL.

Glad things are getting better.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    But isn't NJ always like that? (Yes, I live in NJ)
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I hope today will be better than yesterday.

Yesterday we lost power for eight hours. Hubby fired up the wood stove so we stayed toasty warm. Then the power came back on and stayed on for about eight hours. Then during a span of two hours the cable (phone/TV/computer) went off and came on again three times and when that finally quit futzing around the power went out again. It was dizzying.

We live in a rural area and when there are power outages in the Albany region my county is usually the last one to have repairs made because there aren't as many of us to complain about it (livestock doesn't complain unfortunately.) So when the power goes out here it can be a while before it comes back on again.

Last Fall we had 15 dead and dying trees on our property cut down. I'm glad they were gone before this storm hit or we would've been watching pieces of them fly around the yard this weekend.

It's supposed to be sunny and in the high 50s this week and I am looking forward to SPRING!!!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread